Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ktcoil
    • By ktcoil 20th Apr 17, 9:48 AM
    • 533Posts
    • 35Thanks
    ktcoil
    Still waiting on Local search from solicitor
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:48 AM
    Still waiting on Local search from solicitor 20th Apr 17 at 9:48 AM
    Hi Guys

We are still waiting to hear back for our last search which is the local search, the drainage, mining and enviourment(waiting on information back for still) have come back

This has been since early March, I understand that this can take weeks but I was wondering should I email the solicitor to say we are worried about someone else buying the house and have a holiday coming up soon or just wait.

thanks
Page 1
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 20th Apr 17, 9:54 AM
    • 2,160 Posts
    • 3,061 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:54 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:54 AM
    If someone else wants to buy the house, then they'll need the same searches as you do. Which will take the same time. And you have a headstart.

But I'm not sure why it's the solicitor's problem that you're going on holiday.
    • ktcoil
    • By ktcoil 20th Apr 17, 9:58 AM
    • 533 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    ktcoil
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:58 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:58 AM
    sorry don't mean it that way lol

Was just thinking if it comes back while away or the next stage, we are going to be away for 11 days

We was also worried about the mortgage as we heard it only last so long then you have to reapply for a mortgage again, not sure if this is correct or not.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 20th Apr 17, 10:03 AM
    • 9,802 Posts
    • 12,425 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:03 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:03 AM
    sorry don't mean it that way lol

Was just thinking if it comes back while away or the next stage, we are going to be away for 11 days

We was also worried about the mortgage as we heard it only last so long then you have to reapply for a mortgage again, not sure if this is correct or not.
    Originally posted by ktcoil
    Are you sure the searches haven't come back? Your solicitor is unlikely to tell you unless you specifically ask.

Are you selling too?

Have you had a survey and valuation done yet?

I wouldn't email the solicitor with your 'worries', just ask 'have the searches come back yet?'.

Yes, your mortgage is only valid for a set amount of time. Some three months, some (more than likely) six, some more. What have you signed? If you can't find paperwork - ask them.

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • macman
    • By macman 20th Apr 17, 10:18 AM
    • 41,351 Posts
    • 17,001 Thanks
    macman
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:18 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:18 AM
    It's not unusual for some LA's to take 4-6 weeks to process local searches at present. But if nothing by month end then I would be chasing the solicitor.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • orangesmartie
    • By orangesmartie 21st Apr 17, 8:05 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 829 Thanks
    orangesmartie
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:05 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:05 AM
    My La search took 8 weeks, it was the only thing holding us up. I was getting stressed because I go on holiday on Monday, but we complete today (fingers crossed). I chased the solicitor twice during the wait but seems there was nothing she could do to speed things up
    • Clutterfree
    • By Clutterfree 21st Apr 17, 8:20 AM
    • 3,465 Posts
    • 18,976 Thanks
    Clutterfree
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:20 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:20 AM
    Our searches took weeks to come back.
    In the end I rang the Local Authority myself to say it was holding things up.
    Hey presto, we received them the following week!
    Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

233Posts Today

1,261Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin