PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

unable to sell flat because of leaks from upstairs

I'm trying to sell my flat but I've had to cancel viewings because of a leak from the upstairs flat.
We have had to get the ceiling repainted several times over the years, because of several leaks, for different reasons, and she has reimbursed us when asked.
This time it's caused by the wash basin from the upstairs bathroom leaking.

The upstairs flat is in squalid conditions, rented as temporary accommodation and generally in disrepair. The landlord has acted on all the issues, but because she gets things patched up on the cheap we continue to have problems.

As I said she normally gets things sorted/patched up, but she takes her time, and I'm in a hurry because this is the right time to sell and don't want to miss the window.
I would like to get a solicitor involved, but I'm concerned that if I enter into any litigation this could put prospective buyers off, as I believe it has to be declared on one of the forms I'll have to fill in.

Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Comments

• Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    I think all you can do is continue dealing politely with the landlord upstairs - it's good you have contact and she has previously reimbursed you at least - and tell her you are selling so this latest leak needs repairing immediately.

Unless the damage is really dreadful I think you could still have viewings - these things happen from time to time and it's just bad timing. You would tell the viewers the truth - that there has been a leak upstairs and it is being sorted. When they get further down the line I'd expect them to state that they will exchange on condition that the leak has been fixed and any damage repaired, and it'll be in good condition when they complete.

You can't say for sure that another leak will happen, or that it won't.
  • Yes that's what is happening, we are going ahead with the viewings.
    The landlady called today, she doesn't quite get the sense of urgency, so knowing her it might take a week to sort.
    What is annoying is that she had the basin changed a couple of months ago, it's all down to crap workmanship on the cheap, probably done by the lettings agency.
  • springer211
    springer211 Posts: 176 Forumite
    Went to the property yesterday, and there was a fresh stain.
    The landlady has not done anything, she is planning to go and have a look today, but she's not called anyone, she even got stroppy because I was chasing her last night. It's obvious that nothing is going to happen until at least next week.
    The tenants are not reliable, so I don't know if they are using the basin or not.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,198
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The landlady called today, she doesn't quite get the sense of urgency, so knowing her it might take a week to sort.
    A week doesn't sound unreasonable to get a plumber in to quote and repair.

You really need to keep on good terms with the LL so that you can sell your flat. If you annoy her and she gets awkward you will have real problems.
  • martindow wrote: »
    A week doesn't sound unreasonable to get a plumber in to quote and repair.

You really need to keep on good terms with the LL so that you can sell your flat. If you annoy her and she gets awkward you will have real problems.
    what do you mean?
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,552
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I suspect it means if she is getting stroppy then life might be about to get more difficult so worth reining back and seeking to keep her onside even if it is a trying situation.
  • always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    what do you mean?

And if it gets into a dispute I thought you'd have to declare it to your buyers in that special form...
    ... issue with neighbours? Yes, leak keeps damaging the ceiling :rotfl:
    EU expat working in London
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family