Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ministe2003
    • By ministe2003 20th Apr 17, 9:43 AM
    • 40Posts
    • 55Thanks
    ministe2003
    Job offer retracted
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:43 AM
    Job offer retracted 20th Apr 17 at 9:43 AM
    Hi, I'm just looking for some advice. My wife quit her job several months ago due to extreme stress and after some time off sick, has been looking for a new career. After a few interviews, one company offered her a job over the phone, and in a follow up email said:

"I am pleased to confirm the managing director has decided to offer you a employment contract at COMPANY_NAME as a JOB_TITLE. We are in the process of finalising the roles and departments to allocate the shortlisted [candidates] to.

Once this has been decided, which should be before easter we will formally make you a job offer. I do apologise for the delay in the process but unfortunately it is an extremely busy period for the company an the managing director at precent."

My wife replied saying she accepted the offer, and at this point cancelled other interviews she had, and stopped applying for jobs.

That was two weeks ago.

The company has now come back saying "The salary you are expecting, the directors have confirmed that we cannot offer this to you as you do not have the experience in our industry sector. We have other [candidates] with experience in our industry sector willing to accept a full time role at [a lot less money!] and will be making job offers to them this week."

Is this allowed!? They knew my wife's experience when they interviewed her, twice, then offered her a job, twice; at the salary advertised on the job spec!!

Although she wasn't given a contract, surely there's some rule they're breaking here. Are companies allowed to offer a job in writing AND over the phone and then retract it weeks later?

Thanks
Page 1
    • enjoyyourshoes
    • By enjoyyourshoes 20th Apr 17, 9:51 AM
    • 721 Posts
    • 905 Thanks
    enjoyyourshoes
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:51 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:51 AM
    I guess the learning is don't stop applying, attending interviews until after you have started.

Even when offered a job and you start, you may not like the job, therefore keep your options open at all times.

Employers of all colours are only interested in themselves, so play the same game, there is little or no loyalty.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
    • Vectis
    • By Vectis 20th Apr 17, 10:17 AM
    • 450 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    Vectis
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:17 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:17 AM
    Probably the same if you were offered a job and you accepted it, only to decide a couple of weeks later to join a different company who were offering more money. I think your wife just has to accept that they changed their mind (or someone in the company overruled the decision).

Your wife hasn't lost out financially as she left her previous job months ago, as you said. No harm in her ringing up to clarify though (but I'd advise her not to get annoyed or talk about them breaking 'rules' etc as there might be other opportunities there in the future).
    • jonmoneybags
    • By jonmoneybags 20th Apr 17, 10:21 AM
    • 291 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    jonmoneybags
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:21 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:21 AM
    I would sue them
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 20th Apr 17, 10:23 AM
    • 3,716 Posts
    • 6,101 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:23 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:23 AM
    They didn't actually make her a job offer, and that is abundantly clear from the wording got have quoted. It clearly states that they will "formally make a job offer" AFTER they have looked at allocating people to departments. What they did, at best, was make a conditional offer. That isn't binding. Not that "binding" would have made any difference. There was no start date agreed, and her "loss " would only be amount of notice pay - which, lacking a contract to the contrary, is nil in the first instance.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 20th Apr 17, 10:35 AM
    • 3,113 Posts
    • 2,838 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:35 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:35 AM
    I would sue them
    Originally posted by jonmoneybags
    For what exactly?
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 20th Apr 17, 10:40 AM
    • 3,113 Posts
    • 2,838 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:40 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:40 AM
    Hi, I'm just looking for some advice. My wife quit her job several months ago due to extreme stress and after some time off sick, has been looking for a new career. After a few interviews, one company offered her a job over the phone, and in a follow up email said:

"I am pleased to confirm the managing director has decided to offer you a employment contract at COMPANY_NAME as a JOB_TITLE. We are in the process of finalising the roles and departments to allocate the shortlisted [candidates] to.

Once this has been decided, which should be before easter we will formally make you a job offer. I do apologise for the delay in the process but unfortunately it is an extremely busy period for the company an the managing director at precent."

My wife replied saying she accepted the offer, and at this point cancelled other interviews she had, and stopped applying for jobs.

That was two weeks ago.

The company has now come back saying "The salary you are expecting, the directors have confirmed that we cannot offer this to you as you do not have the experience in our industry sector. We have other [candidates] with experience in our industry sector willing to accept a full time role at [a lot less money!] and will be making job offers to them this week."

Is this allowed!? They knew my wife's experience when they interviewed her, twice, then offered her a job, twice; at the salary advertised on the job spec!!

Although she wasn't given a contract, surely there's some rule they're breaking here. Are companies allowed to offer a job in writing AND over the phone and then retract it weeks later?

Thanks
    Originally posted by ministe2003
    Even if a contract had been formed (and that doesn't have to be a sheet of paper with the word contract on it) all that would entitle her to is whatever notice period was agreed.

So if, say, that was four weeks and they told her two weeks before the agreed start date that she was no longer required she would have a claim for two weeks pay. However that would be all but in any case, based on what you have posted here, it is unlikely that a firm offer had been made and accepted so as to form a contract.
    • ministe2003
    • By ministe2003 20th Apr 17, 10:51 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    ministe2003
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:51 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:51 AM
    Thanks for the responses, shame that companies are allowed to treat people like this!
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 20th Apr 17, 11:04 AM
    • 3,874 Posts
    • 3,945 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:04 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:04 AM
    Thanks for the responses, shame that companies are allowed to treat people like this!
    No formal job offer had been made as evidenced by the section of their letter which you quoted. I certainly accept that it is disappointing and frustrating for your wife, but nothing illegal has been done.
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 20th Apr 17, 11:16 AM
    • 7,996 Posts
    • 35,697 Thanks
    tea lover
    They hadn't even made her an offer. Even if they had, they're well within their rights to retract it. That's just how it works.
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 20th Apr 17, 11:22 AM
    • 16,908 Posts
    • 27,464 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    Until you've got a contract to sign there is no job.. and you shouldn't stop job hunting.

In fact, continuing to job hunt puts them under pressure to get you a contract ASAP
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 20th Apr 17, 11:40 AM
    • 2,899 Posts
    • 4,141 Thanks
    Malthusian
    If the shoe was on the other foot and she received a job offer with a lot more money two weeks after she "accepted the offer" (in fact she accepted nothing as no offer had been made), how would you feel if the first company treated her acceptance as binding and somehow forced her to come and work for them instead?

I sympathise as it's always annoying to think you're going to get something and then not get it, but that's all we can do. As others have said, she had no reason to stop her job search.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 20th Apr 17, 11:41 AM
    • 29,977 Posts
    • 18,982 Thanks
    DCFC79
    She shouldn't have cancelled the other interviews, even if she had a job offer to start in 2 weeks time you can still look for jobs, go to interviews to see if anything else crops up that's a better option.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • jonmoneybags
    • By jonmoneybags 20th Apr 17, 1:42 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    jonmoneybags
    For what exactly?
    Originally posted by Undervalued
    everything
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 20th Apr 17, 2:10 PM
    • 3,113 Posts
    • 2,838 Thanks
    Undervalued
    everything
    Originally posted by jonmoneybags
    What, including the cost of your much needed reality check?
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 20th Apr 17, 4:04 PM
    • 15,824 Posts
    • 39,539 Thanks
    FBaby
    It sounds like the reason they revoked the offer was her salary request. At which point did she state what she was expecting? It sounds like the job would still have been hers if she agreed to the salary others are prepared to be paid, so really, it is her own fault.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,774Posts Today

7,549Users online

Martin's Twitter