Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jmc160
    • By jmc160 20th Apr 17, 9:17 AM
    • 728Posts
    • 407Thanks
    jmc160
    Faulty camera from ebay, shipped from UK but seller listed in China?
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:17 AM
    Faulty camera from ebay, shipped from UK but seller listed in China? 20th Apr 17 at 9:17 AM
    Hi folks!

I bought my son an action cam for his birthday this year, best price I found for a brand new one was on eBay. Two months later, the Micro SD card slot has failed so it appears the camera is faulty. I've contacted the seller via eBay to try and get this resolved, and they've apologised and offered me £10 as a partial refund (camera cost a little over £60) and said I can keep the camera and get it repaired myself.

Now, I have no idea how much a repair like that would cost in the real world, also after looking closer at the item, which I made sure was shipped from the UK, while that is the case it appears the seller account is registered in China.

Anyone have any idea what my rights are in this scenario?

Many thanks in advance.

EDIT: I've just had another look at the seller info and they have a VAT number on their page. I've checked it and it appears it's valid, registered to the same company name as the Paypal transaction shows, and is registered to an address in Manchester. However their info page on eBay lists an address in China. Based on all this, I would hope I have some rights here, but it's eBay so I'm not sure how this will all go down.
    Last edited by jmc160; 20-04-2017 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Extra info
    The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
    --
    Marty Feldman
Page 1
    • jblessing
    • By jblessing 20th Apr 17, 10:40 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    jblessing
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:40 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:40 AM
    No one is going to repair a camera (even if it was possible) for £10. Either write it off or ask Ebay to resolve it.
    • macman
    • By macman 20th Apr 17, 11:26 AM
    • 41,351 Posts
    • 17,001 Thanks
    macman
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:26 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:26 AM
    Manufacturer's warranty?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 20th Apr 17, 11:27 AM
    • 3,496 Posts
    • 3,553 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:27 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:27 AM
    Was it a business seller or a private individual? If a business seller then all parts of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 apply.

I'd suggest that you contact them and request either (change the order to suit yourself):

1. A repair (with them bearing all costs involved) OR
    2. A full refund (with you returning the camera at their cost) OR
    3. A replacement (with you returning the camera at their cost)

As it must be less than 6 months since purchase then the above are your rights in respect of a remedy. IMHO a £10 refund doesn't cut it - even with you retaining the goods, as the nature of the fault makes the camera useless.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 20th Apr 17, 12:03 PM
    • 2,886 Posts
    • 3,903 Thanks
    George Michael
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:03 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:03 PM
    If a business seller then all parts of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 apply.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Even if the seller is registered in China?

The camera may have been shipped from the UK but if the seller is based in China then the CRA will have little relevance to the contract.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 20th Apr 17, 12:17 PM
    • 3,496 Posts
    • 3,553 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:17 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:17 PM
    I've assumed the seller (on Ebay) is registered in the UK but sources goods from China (to store and ship from the UK). If the seller is indeed registered in China then you're correct. Thanks for clarifying.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • jmc160
    • By jmc160 20th Apr 17, 12:35 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 407 Thanks
    jmc160
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:35 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:35 PM
    Was it a business seller or a private individual? If a business seller then all parts of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 apply.

I'd suggest that you contact them and request either (change the order to suit yourself):

1. A repair (with them bearing all costs involved) OR
    2. A full refund (with you returning the camera at their cost) OR
    3. A replacement (with you returning the camera at their cost)

As it must be less than 6 months since purchase then the above are your rights in respect of a remedy. IMHO a £10 refund doesn't cut it - even with you retaining the goods, as the nature of the fault makes the camera useless.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Not sure how to check if it's business or private, but based on the amount of feedback, etc. I've assumed business. Thanks for the info, I've emailed them with basically what you've said. Now I'll need to wait a couple of days and see if they come back to me. If not, or if we can't come to an agreement, based on the fact it's only two months old and I paid with my Paypal balance, could I claim back through the buyer protection thing?
    --
    Marty Feldman
    • jmc160
    • By jmc160 20th Apr 17, 12:37 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 407 Thanks
    jmc160
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:37 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:37 PM
    Even if the seller is registered in China?

The camera may have been shipped from the UK but if the seller is based in China then the CRA will have little relevance to the contract.
    Originally posted by George Michael
    This is the main concern. The item did indeed ship from the UK, but when I logged in to contact them when the camera failed a couple of days ago, I noticed that the seller is registered in China and looking at my Paypal history, it appears that's where the payment has gone too. If they're registered in China, then I really have no idea how to proceed.

EDIT: I've just had another look at the seller info and they have a VAT number on their page. I've checked it and it appears it's valid, registered to the same company name as the Paypal transaction shows, and is registered to an address in Manchester. However their info page on eBay lists an address in China. I'll add this info to the OP as well.
    Last edited by jmc160; 20-04-2017 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Added extra info
    --
    Marty Feldman
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

189Posts Today

2,087Users online

Martin's Twitter