Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LottieLou
    • By LottieLou 20th Apr 17, 9:00 AM
    • 172Posts
    • 274Thanks
    LottieLou
    A quick neighbour question
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:00 AM
    A quick neighbour question 20th Apr 17 at 9:00 AM
    I hope this is in the right section. But I am completely clueless about drainage & can't seem to find an answer from Google.

My neighbour has recently built a large extension up to the boundary line, with the downpipes at the side too. These encroach onto our side, buy a small amount but that's a whole other thing.

Some of these downpipes/ multiple other pipes do not seem to be finished yet. They (it's family doing the build) don't give us any notice, but wait till we are both out to jump the fence so we don't know when it is planned to be finished off.

In the section of the extension that is the utility room, there is a water pipe coming down and discharging water - this looks like soapy water, I presume from the sink? This drains directly into our garden.

I don't think this is allowed, and am pretty sure it wouldn't pass building regulations approval. I am bothered by it because it doesn't look like anything will change with this section of piping, and children & our future children will be playing in the garden when there is a pipe discharging water.

What should I do? Is there a way I can find if building regs has been approved?

Relations have completely broken down, to the point I would only communicate via solicitors letters. This isn't something I really want to be doing.

Should I just watch and wait, to see what the end result is? Or collect the water drained in a jar and discard it/return it?....people have told me to block it off, but I don't want to be touching any of the property & causing further disputes or damage!

Thank you in advance x
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 20th Apr 17, 9:17 AM
    • 23,883 Posts
    • 66,389 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:17 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:17 AM
    I does not meet with building regulations, of course, if they are discharging waste water onto the ground. You must phone building control and tell them what is happening. Hopefully they will then come out and check the extension.

Building control or planning cannot help you specifically with the positioning of the pipes being on your land, but I am sure that if these items are not finished and/or don't discharge into the right place then the building control officer can guide them strategically so that they do as they can't just discharge onto drains on your land, let alone onto the ground itself.

Rainwater needs to discharge to a soakaway under current regs, waste water into the sewer.

Do you have legal cover with home insurance? I hope that BC might help you in a roundabout but legal help will be more direct if BC isn't successful for some reason.

Have you spoken to the neighbours? They may not be aware of what is happening?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 20th Apr 17, 9:22 AM
    • 6,497 Posts
    • 5,084 Thanks
    prosaver
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:22 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:22 AM
    Phone the council building, planning dept, and tell them ..they will sort it out, and for free,
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
    • LottieLou
    • By LottieLou 20th Apr 17, 9:28 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    LottieLou
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:28 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:28 AM
    Thank you so much Doozergirl, fast reply!

They are well aware of what's happening I am 100% sure. They are not nice people in general. Approaching them unfortunately isn't an option, they are bullies & ive been threatened by them in the past.

Thank you for your advice. I will contact building control and see what they say. We do have legal cover thankfully, I will bear that in mind. I have come to terms with the pipes being there, it's the discharging water I don't want to see. Thanks again!
    • stator
    • By stator 20th Apr 17, 9:39 AM
    • 5,855 Posts
    • 3,848 Thanks
    stator
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:39 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:39 AM
    Cap off the pipes so they don't discharge into your garden.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • christineperseus
    • By christineperseus 20th Apr 17, 9:44 AM
    • 513 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    christineperseus
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:44 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:44 AM
    Connect a hose to pipe and direct back into their garden.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 20th Apr 17, 9:47 AM
    • 23,301 Posts
    • 88,883 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:47 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:47 AM
    It will be interesting to see where the pipes end up!

As Doozer says, the waste water must find its way into their own drains, while any run off from the roof should nowadays go into a soakaway which should be a minimum of 5m from their house.

It's more than likely that when Building Control visit, they'll find other stuff that needs alteration, but you have no option here to leave things as they are. You are wise to leave it to the council, as they are the only ones with inspection and enforcement power.

Do keep us informed as to what happens.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 20th Apr 17, 10:01 AM
    • 1,646 Posts
    • 7,951 Thanks
    kathrynha
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:01 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:01 AM
    Already lots of good advice. Also recommend taking photos of the pipes overhanging your property, and of them draining onto your property. If possible capture the fact that it is soapy water. If any damage is done to your plants as a result it would also be good to capture before and after damage photos
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 58 lb
    Last updated: 12th September 2017
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,136Posts Today

8,240Users online

Martin's Twitter