Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • northernnic
    • By northernnic 20th Apr 17, 8:19 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    northernnic
    council house exchange
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:19 AM
    council house exchange 20th Apr 17 at 8:19 AM
    Hi , i am lucky enough to be doing a council house exchange from scotland to england , the house in england has right to buy , my question is does my 6 year tenancy in scotland carry through to the new english property , i.e would i have immediate right to buy ?
Page 1
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 20th Apr 17, 10:09 AM
    • 1,123 Posts
    • 2,103 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:09 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:09 AM
    Have you asked the Council in England where you are moving to? I would imagine that your 6 years would count which in turn would mean that you were immediately eligible for RTB.

It's incredibly lucky, and purely coincidental I'm sure, that you are able to move from Scotland where they have recently abolished RTB, to England where, unfortunately, it still exists!
    • northernnic
    • By northernnic 20th Apr 17, 12:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    northernnic
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:40 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:40 PM
    coincidental yes , just want out of scotland
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 20th Apr 17, 2:14 PM
    • 1,975 Posts
    • 1,869 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 20th Apr 17, 2:14 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 2:14 PM
    I think the only way you will find out for certain is to ask the council concerned - logically, maybe, you can't transfer something that you don't have (RTB in Scotland) but I suspect that it will be a new one for the council and being able to claim the RTB in England may well be straightforward.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,334Posts Today

8,682Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Emloy93: @MartinSLewis I did this! It 100% works ????????

• RT @Photo_Pete: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, I'll renew mine before my 24th in September!

• Tell any 23 yr olds... you're allowed to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard the day before your 24th birthday then it's valid until ur almost 27 RT

• Follow Martin