Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 20th Apr 17, 6:15 AM
    • 2,754Posts
    • 37,012Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Thursday 20 April 2017
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:15 AM
    O/S Daily Thursday 20 April 2017 20th Apr 17 at 6:15 AM
    O/S Daily Thursday 20 April 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, dry but cloudy.

DH up and gone to work early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg. Tonight will be sausage, egg, beans and chips - a bit the same but the sausages and eggs need using up - I don't think the boys will use them and we're not taking anything fresh with us as we have overnight stop before we get to our final destination, and there's big SM's where we are going. I have no wish to be taking eggs over 500 miles in the car when there's no need! On to today .....

I have all the normal jobs to do, I'll be heading into town this morning to visit the bank and building society, then I have a nail appointment so I have nice nails for my hols. I then have all the normal washing, drying and ironing to do, as well as packing etc, but its not so bad as it's only me and DH that's going. I'll be doing some food shopping too for the boys.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 20-04-2017 at 6:27 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • Judi
    • By Judi 20th Apr 17, 6:34 AM
    • 14,830 Posts
    • 59,553 Thanks
    Judi
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:34 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:34 AM
    Morning Nmlc and all.

This is getting beyond a joke now. Hound woke me at 3 to go go out. Hubby woke me at 4. He was shuffling round the bed because he couldn't sleep.

I'm shattered, knackered and fit for nothing and I'm on childcare duty for my Grandson who thinks he's a mountain goat.

Men gone to work and I'm wondering if I can fit in an hours sleep before my mountain goat comes....thinking about it...best not.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 20th Apr 17, 6:45 AM
    • 3,381 Posts
    • 38,692 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:45 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:45 AM
    Morning All

I've had a really good nights sleep, must have been the long walk along Helensburgh sea front after work yesterday, lovely fresh air and beautiful scenery.

It's drizzly this morning, it was the same yesterday but cleared up to be a nice afternoon. Hope it's the same today as I have another walk planned later.

nmlc and JackieO - Have a lovely holiday.
    Hope everything goes well at the hospital TA.
    Good to hear you have another booking LW.

I'll do a wash tonight, not really enough of any kind of load this morning.

Enjoy Thursday. Take care. XX
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 20th Apr 17, 6:46 AM
    • 3,488 Posts
    • 19,769 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:46 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:46 AM
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. Enjoy your time off.

A very drab start here but it feels milder so that's a bonus. Yesterday was pretty cold all day.

Today we have the tedious journey to Leeds for Mr TA's Oncology injection. We have no DGD's to rush back for so will have a wander round Leeds market afterwards and do a bit of bargain spotting! I could do with the stall selling seconds of branded undies being there again after the fantastic bargains I picked up last time. We are also going to treat ourselves to a late lunch somewhere afterwards to save bothering cooking when we finally get home after what always ends up a long day.

Have a good day folks and (HUGS) for those wanting/needing them. Good luck to your DH COXY in his new job. DUMPLING I am so pleased your DD is feeling better. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Gers
    • By Gers 20th Apr 17, 6:48 AM
    • 5,582 Posts
    • 32,066 Thanks
    Gers
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:48 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:48 AM
    Morning all.

Dull outside again.

Last night we had a lovely meal in the local hotel and then I was in bed early. Happily I slept all night (sorry Judi) though awake too early still.

My friends are going out for the day and I'm teaching until 1pm and then got my afternoon free.

I spent a short while yesterday putting things back in their correct place after the cleaner left. It's as if she moves then to either show she's been there to clean or because she thinks it'll look better where she leaves it.

I hope everyone has a good day. Speky, saw that your moving in day has moved forward, so exciting!

Happy Thursday.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 20th Apr 17, 6:58 AM
    • 1,075 Posts
    • 11,859 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:58 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:58 AM
    Morning all, it looks rather dull outside and it is quite cold. It took me ages to get to sleep last night because my feet were cold - the obvious thing woukd have been to get up and put socks on but I didn't.

My work phone appears to be playing up. Yesterday I went to see someone, quite a journey, only to find nobody at home. When I managed to reach her by phone, she explained that she had sent me a message and there's no reason for me to disbelieve this but the message still hadn't reached me by bedtime. Also, sometimes I get text messages days after they are sent. I know I'll have to contact our IT company but am dreading it, hours on hold for them to tell me that it is my fault for expecting the phone to work if there is an R in the month.

I need to make and eat some toast (nice home-made bread, I am showing off here) and get showered and organised, then off to work. I'm trying to raise some enthusiasm but failing dismally, much of my job relies on getting clear information from outside bodies and at present, the wheels are grinding exceedingly slow. Still, I get to see lovely colleagues, sone of whom I've worked with for decades. Two colleagues are retiring this spring and summer, others went last year, I seem to be clinging on like the ancient mariner. If the ancient mariner clung that is, I can't actually remember what he did!

Dinner last night was not particularly nice so I shall draw a veil. OH will need to cook again this evening, he is a good cook but not always the best at working out what I might like so the meal is designed around what they might like with modifications, not necessarily successful, for me.

Onwards and upwards, if I don't get a move on, I'll be later starting than I need to be.

Have a good day all!
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 20th Apr 17, 7:04 AM
    • 2,962 Posts
    • 34,794 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:04 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:04 AM
    Morning all
    It's a bit brisk here today and overcast, hopefully it will warm up soon.
    I should be going to get my car today then I can do a bit of shopping, I need a couple of hoodies, I only have one and it's getting grubby.
    I'm going to strip the bed today and take the bedding to the house to wash, I can leave it on my undercover line to dry,
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 20th Apr 17, 7:05 AM
    • 3,488 Posts
    • 19,769 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:05 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:05 AM
    AOD your comparison of yourself to the ancient mariner made me laugh! It also reminded me of the place I used to work. Someone said working here resembles an Indian train, which trundles along slowly with people on the roof and clinging on to the sides but we get there in the end! It amused me at the time 'cos I knew just what she meant!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • tru
    • By tru 20th Apr 17, 7:22 AM
    • 8,518 Posts
    • 42,243 Thanks
    tru
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:22 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:22 AM
    Morning

Two days of Do Not Dig There lessons and Scampi is learning fast. He started lots of times but stopped the moment I told him to and hasn't bothered trying since lunchtime yesterday. I know that doesn't sound long but he'd love to dig all day long so this is a major achievement Just need to work out how to teach him where he can dig.

Hopefully the shoulder pain is gone, it's just been a dull ache for a few days so it's slowly improving, I'm only taking one 400mg brufen in the mornings now. I still can't lie down to sleep, it's too uncomfortable but I don't care, I'm just glad I can sleep for more that two hours at a time. My hip is loosening up too, I might start feeling human again soon, lol.

The weather forecast says rain all day, which is great because it means we can go for a long walk without bumping into lots of kids on bikes and scooters. The last few days have been nice so there's been lots of people about, the walks have been short with lots of doubling back on ourselves and crossing the road far too many times, lol. I just want to amble about in peace today.

I'll get the dusting and hoovering done this morning, I'll get some work done too. I'm going to work for 30 minutes at a time, I don't want to sit still for too long because I'm scared I'll stiffen up again, lol. Off to visit mum and dad later, I'm not sure what time so I haven't planned anything past 2pm.

Bulletproof
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 20th Apr 17, 7:22 AM
    • 2,040 Posts
    • 25,065 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Morning all, thanks for the thread nmlc x

I too didn't sleep well. New mattress delivered yesterday - our old latex one is 18 years old (the shop said they lasted for 20 years so we've had our money's worth). Not sure I'm 100% happy as the new mattress is much higher plus there's no divot where I usually sleep! My back doesn't hurt though, so every cloud....
    Drinks last night were cancelled so I cleared the ironing and had some telly time as DH popped out for a bit. Saw the C4 NHS programme. Really feel for our junior doctors, well all NHS staff really. It must be so frustrating for them.
    Tonight I will go to the gym and do another 5k. I'm going to try running at a slower pace to see how long I can manage before walking. Lunch is jacket and veg chilli, plus I have lots of fruit. Think it's baked salmon and veg for tea - DH will pick this up later.
    Hope the appointment goes well TA xx
    Happy holibobs to nmlc and JackieO xx
    Hope you get a better nights sleep Judi xx
    Have a good day all
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Gingerbread Trio by Little House Needleworks
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 20th Apr 17, 7:42 AM
    • 197 Posts
    • 2,492 Thanks
    tiredmum2
    Morning chums
    I'm home 3 weeks away is a loooong time and i missed my family towards the end . WM is whirring away and OH has been taken to work Dolly will be collected later . Petra in Jordan was the most amazing place and truly took my breath away . The wailing wall was very busy as it was passover but i did manage to put my prayer in , Dubai was good but so over the top everything is bigger and better than anyone elses.Athens was closed as it was Easter Sunday so we took a sightseeing bus .The ship was amazing as usual and the service attentive.
    Hope you are all doing fine and i will try to catch up with the thread
    Have a great day whatever you are up to x
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 20th Apr 17, 8:15 AM
    • 14,909 Posts
    • 120,663 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning chums not a successful nights sleep at all and I have been up since 5.30.no doubt a Nanny nap will be on the cards later .Busy morning this morning though as I want to make a lemon drizzle cake to take with me tomorrow on my holiday It will use up the two lemons in the bottom of the fridge and I am also making some peanut butter cookies as well to finish off the jar of peanut butter. I have packed a small plastic crate with bits and pieces to take with us foodwise, mainly basic tea/coffee biscuits,rice pasta etc and a few tins, all helps when you are self-catering ,plus we will still have a couple of pub meals when we are out, and a pot of tea and a scone or teacake is always part of our spring break

I hope the weather perks up a bit as its a very grey looking day at the moment with lots of cloud and not that warm, good job we aren't looking for the sun in Mancland
    Tru my DDs little rescue Westie even tries to dig a hole in her sitting room carpet at times .He would make an excellent miner as he loves nothing better than digging and as he is snowy white his paws and snout seem to be forever grey very lively little chap and will bark at almost anything, but the family adore him

T/A enjoy your bargain hunting Leeds market sounds interesting I am on the hunt for a decent market in the area of Manchester to visit next week.
    H/H you sound like you and Captain Hot Stuff have settled in to your life afloat

nmlc hope you enjoy your holidays

Right, time is galloping on and so must I , have a good day chums whatever you are doing

Cheers JackieO xx
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 20th Apr 17, 8:18 AM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 16,484 Thanks
    dumpling
    Good morning everyone

It's a lovely bright morning here, the weather has been so nice for the last couple of weeks, I hope it continues.

DD14 is staying home today as she has had a bad night, well, it started during her last lesson at school so it has been going on for a while. She is wiped out now so I told her to try and get some sleep. Her nurse is coming tomorrow with a lady from the early psychosis team so hopefully they will be able to give her some help and advice. I am very worried.

I had a good day yesterday, I caught the bus into town, picked up DD14's meds, bought myself a bag of chips and sat in the sunshine reflecting on how I wouldn't even have been able to leave the house last year. My lovely CMHT lady has made such a huge difference to my life and I am going to make her a thank you card. It doesn't seem enough but it will be from the heart. I hope DD14's nurse will be as helpful to her.

My friend is coming over again today as she is going through a rough time with her children at the moment. I don't mind listening to her and I can usually make her see the funny side of things so she leaves a bit happier. She is such a lovely friend, I love her to bits.

tiredmum2 - I am so envious of your trip, it sounds like you had an amazing time x
    tru - when you have cracked Scampi's tendency to dig, please give me some tips. Max only digs in a couple of places but it's like he is trying to reach Australia! x
    TA, good luck to Mr TA for his injection, hope you have a nice time at the market and get some bargains x

Well, I am going to quickly make some oatbran porridge for my breakfast and then tidy up before my friend arrives.

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
    May GC - 202/200
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 20th Apr 17, 8:35 AM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 11,999 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning everyone,

Yesterday was a decent day in work followed by football. I then went and visited a female friend to give her some tickets for the Old Firm game on Sunday and also said goodbye to her before she leaves for Barcelona for 5 months on Tuesday. Not bad for some.

Didn't get to sleep till well after 11, so when my alarm went off at 5.30am I felt a bit groggy and decided to skip the gym today and swapped that for an extra hour in bed.

Need to chase my mortgage brokers again today to check if they can move the date forward on all the paperwork to 16th May. Fingers crossed.

I don't have any plans for this evening as it stands which is good as I've a hectic schedule for the remainder of the week.

My question for today; is £200 for a brand new Dyson vacuum worth it? Noticed it on sale in Currys and Argos.

Judi - Well in comparison to your sleeping troubles, I really shouldn't be complaining. Hope you have a better night tonight.
    Gers - Well spotted. Hope there aren't any complications and it works out.
    tiredmum - Glad you enjoyed your trip and it's on my bucket list to visit there.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    NSD (5/15)
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 20th Apr 17, 9:07 AM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 14,233 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning, ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Specky, I have a dyson, its my second and I love it, some people baulk at the cost but for me it is cost effective, I could not believe how much muck it sooked up. My first one lasted me 13 years.

OH is not happy, its raining and he wanted to cut the front grass, so I guess it will be like a hay meadow when we get back from our break.

Plans today.......get stuff together for tomorrow, bake scones and lemon drizzle cake, cut rhubarb for a friend and take it up to them. I am hoping they will keep an eye on the place whilst we are away, reward....loads of rhubarb!! There are 5 plants in the garden and they are all going mad.

Our neighbour is back in hospital, ambulance at 11.30 last night, apparently he has a chest infection.......I feel so sorry for his wife, she is in her late 80's, not in good health herself and getting no help with him at all.

Right time to get the bum into gear and get on..............
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 20th Apr 17, 9:09 AM
    • 1,811 Posts
    • 17,617 Thanks
    snoozer
    Speky, that seems like a good deal - is it an upright. I'm very happy with mine, although it's quite heavy. We bought a vax for the Yorkshire house because it was lighter and cheaper and I wish we hadn't, it's very unmanoeuvrable, if that's a word.

AOD, I thought the Ancient Mariner "stoppeth one of three" or is that one of the parodies of it. I've no idea what it means but I must admit I hve no poetry in my soul, unless it rhymes and makes sense I haven't a clue.

Dumpling, I'm so happy for you that your own health is so much improved, hopefully DD14 will be sorted out soon.

We have a Westie next door here that barks constantly when the humans are out (there are 2 other dogs but it doesn't seem to count them as company). I try to ignore it but sometimes it's a bit wearing.

We want to go to Settle today to buy cheap tickets for the journey to Carlisle before the offer ends. DH also needs to buy more stuff for the tidy up of the backyard, aka complete renovation, including pointing walls and trying to convince me we need a new back gate (it looks perfectly fine to me).

Our visitors arrive around 4pm so I want to make scones, a rhubarb and strawberry pie (I bought some tasteless strawbs so I'm hoping cooking will help) and mushroom and parsnip rosti bake for dinner.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 20th Apr 17, 9:22 AM
    • 14,909 Posts
    • 120,663 Thanks
    JackieO
    snoozer drizzle some honey over the tasteless strawberries and a sprinkle of cinnamon to give it a bit of oomph.
    Dumpling you have been amazing and what a nice idea to do a card for your CMHT lady she obviously has helped you so much through all of your traumas I hope your DD gets the same sort of help
    lemon drizzle is in the oven and my friend just phoned to say can I come up earlier to Dartford in the morning to pick her up as she is so looking forward to our trip ,so I shall be on the road by 07.30 because of the rush hour, and its 25 miles to where she lives first

Cheers chums

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 20th Apr 17, 10:13 AM
    • 6,364 Posts
    • 87,894 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all

Lovely bright day here again we have been so lucky with the weather, we took the dog to the park last night and she dragged us into the pub again we had a meal while we were there which was very tasty, we need Evie to learn how to settle in a pub though as she barked at everyone coming and going

Not sure what we are up to today, at some point I need to phone the mortgage company and see if they can do us a better deal and get some quotes on re-mortgaging, its a very dull job and not one I am looking forward to .

I have some plants to put in the garden so might do that this afternoon.

Have good days all xx
    • Judi
    • By Judi 20th Apr 17, 11:23 AM
    • 14,830 Posts
    • 59,553 Thanks
    Judi
    I'm running on caffeine today. DD2 was amazed to find me dressed at 8 o'clock this morning. I'm sure I'll regret it later.

My Mountain Goat has been fed, bathed and is happily going through a tube of Smarties and drawing a picture of Pepper Pig. He's easily occupied and easily pleased (most of the time).
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 20th Apr 17, 2:22 PM
    • 9,446 Posts
    • 102,150 Thanks
    LameWolf
    My lovely CMHT lady has made such a huge difference to my life and I am going to make her a thank you card. It doesn't seem enough but it will be from the heart.
    Originally posted by dumpling
    She will be delighted. Some of my most treasured possessions are "thank you" cards from owners of dogs I've looked after (some actually worded from the dogs themselves). As Mr LW says "thank you is a much neglected form of compensation".
    My question for today; is £200 for a brand new Dyson vacuum worth it? Noticed it on sale in Currys and Argos.
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead
    I my Dys0n. I bought the lightest model in their upright "Animal" range and it's brilliant.

Mr LW is cooking our dins tonight - omelette, which is his speciality. We can't go out for a meal as Ronnie is here (I don't really like eating out in any case) but I refuse to cook on my birthday!
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,710Posts Today

6,984Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin