Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Peggysboy
    • By Peggysboy 20th Apr 17, 4:44 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Peggysboy
    Do I need varifocal glasses?
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:44 AM
    Do I need varifocal glasses? 20th Apr 17 at 4:44 AM
    I am 60 years old and have had a prescription for distance glasses since I was around 25 (I still remember how amazed I was at the improvement in my vision when I got them) but since then my prescription has been relatively unchanged. I am able to read books and newspapers without glasses or difficulty but I have noticed recently I am having difficulty reading TINY print I could previously read. I am type 2 diabetic so I went for an eye test to make sure nothing was amiss (I have my diabetic eye screening annually and that is fine). I go out frequently without my glasses and manage fine. I don't drive so this is not an issue. At my eye test yesterday the optician suggested I get reading glasses as this would put less strain on my eyes but also said that the deterioration in my ability to read very fine print she would have expected to have started happening about 15 years ago so my eyes are doing really well (talk about mixed messages) and she suggested I consider varifocals. I then spent 50 minutes with a "consultant" and by the time we had finished she was trying to flog me a pair of glasses for more than £400. I am reluctant to allow my eyes to become dependant on lenses they do not need. Does anyone have the knowledge to advise me as to whether it is true my eyes will be less strained by wearing reading or varifocal lenses I do not actually need or should I continue with my distance lenses and let nature take its course in relation to my near nearsightedness or am I just a victim of a needless hard sell by a high street optician who should perhaps know better?
Page 1
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 20th Apr 17, 7:54 AM
    • 683 Posts
    • 1,826 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:54 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:54 AM
    Eyes change at around 45 years of age.
    So if you are long sighted all your life, short sightedness will start to develop at around 45, meaning the longsighted glasses will no longer be sufficient to read.

To get to 60 without any issues is great.

You don't have to have varifocals. You can have two pairs of glasses. I have two pairs as I can't get used to varifocals at all.

I have one pair that I wear all the time and can do most things in them. Computers are fine, I can still read some things ok, but for small print I need my reading glasses.

If I were you, I would go back to the optician, tell them you don't want varifocals and that you prefer to have two pairs that you can control when you use.
    If this is specsavers, you can often get two pairs for more or less the same price.
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 20th Apr 17, 2:42 PM
    • 2,121 Posts
    • 2,013 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 20th Apr 17, 2:42 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 2:42 PM
    I'm long sighted so can see very well in the distance but useless with print or screen close up. I tried varifocals and they were hopeless for me and an expensive mistake, I gave up on them and went back to my ordinary prescription reading glasses. £400 is expensive in anyone's book for glasses - far too much in mine.
    Specsavers are great for the two for 1 deals but very pushy with varifocals. I wouldn't bother.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 20th Apr 17, 3:09 PM
    • 3,566 Posts
    • 2,652 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:09 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:09 PM
    I am long sighted. I have worn varifocals for years with no problems

My husband cannot use varifocals so has four pairs of specs; reading, computer, distance and sun glasses.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 20th Apr 17, 3:17 PM
    • 4,013 Posts
    • 5,083 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:17 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:17 PM
    Leaving poor vision untreated increases the risk of developing dementia later in life:

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/171/6/728.full.pdf+html
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 20th Apr 17, 4:52 PM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 3,070 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:52 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:52 PM
    Why not try using the reading glasses you can buy over the counter at various chemists and supermarkets? They're about £10-£15 depending on style, so you can have a go without breaking the bank. You might be surprised at how much of an improvement there is.

I've been wearing varifocals for about 3 years now. They took a little bit of getting used to, but I don't even think about it now. I spent £700 on the last pair - it's the only item of 'clothing' that I wear all day every day, with every outfit and to every occasion, so they have to be right.
    • anitawilliams
    • By anitawilliams 21st Apr 17, 7:05 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    anitawilliams
    • 21st Apr 17, 7:05 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 7:05 AM
    I agree reading glasses might help you.
    • Northern Rose
    • By Northern Rose 26th Apr 17, 1:38 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Northern Rose
    • 26th Apr 17, 1:38 PM
    • 26th Apr 17, 1:38 PM
    I'd suggest buying "over the counter reading/magnifying" glasses as someone has suggested.

My personal experience was that at just over forty I need to add reading glasses to my distance glasses. I picked two pairs from Specsavers that I loved but after just over a week I went back and changed he lenses to varifocals. Taking glasses on and off in a clinical environment in work drove me crazy
    • JulieM
    • By JulieM 26th Apr 17, 2:19 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 706 Thanks
    JulieM
    • 26th Apr 17, 2:19 PM
    • 26th Apr 17, 2:19 PM
    If you need glasses for distance but not for reading, then you're shortsighted, not longsighted. I'm the same. I did try varifocals some years ago but couldn't get on with them, I do have a pair of prescription reading glasses though to be honest I don't really find them much help with very small print. As others have said, try a pair of over the counter glasses first. Or if you're at home, and it's only small amounts of small print that you need to read, a magnifying glass might do the trick.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,856Posts Today

6,605Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin