Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • spngbx
    • By spngbx 20th Apr 17, 1:51 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    spngbx
    Bgc - wtf
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:51 AM
    Bgc - wtf 20th Apr 17 at 1:51 AM
    I received a bank giro credit from a debt recovery agency with the exact figure printed on it as an amount that was paid into a closed BOS account. What do I do? Nationwide said it does not have a value on it but it can't be a coincidence.
Page 1
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 20th Apr 17, 7:50 AM
    • 680 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:50 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:50 AM
    Something doesn't make sense here.

BOS = Bank Of Scotland right? They're part of HBOS/Lloyds Group, so why did you ask Nationwide Building Society about it? Contact your local BOS or Halifax branch.If the account was closed, the money would either be held by them, or bounced back to the DCA.

Ben, your reply makes less sense. This was a payment from a DCA, not to.
    • spngbx
    • By spngbx 20th Apr 17, 8:50 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    spngbx
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:50 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:50 AM
    BOS - Bank of Scotland, yes. Nationwide is who I bank with now. According to BOS any payment would have been routed to a Lloyd's holding account because apparently BOS is part of the Lloyd's banking group? The closed Bank of Scotland account was overdrawn when it was closed so the DRA where handling the account.
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 20th Apr 17, 8:55 AM
    • 680 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:55 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:55 AM
    BOS - Bank of Scotland, yes. Nationwide is who I bank with now. According to BOS any payment would have been routed to a Lloyd's holding account because apparently BOS is part of the Lloyd's banking group? The closed Bank of Scotland account was overdrawn when it was closed so the DRA where handling the account.
    Originally posted by spngbx

I'm still struggling to work out why you mentioned Nationwide as this has nothing to do with them?

BOS is indeed part of the Lloyds banking group and you'd need to ask them where the money is, if it hasn't been bounced back. If the account was overdrawn however it may well be taken to offset that debt.
    • spngbx
    • By spngbx 20th Apr 17, 11:45 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    spngbx
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:45 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:45 AM
    Sorry just to clarify Nationwide is who I currently hold an account with and where I would like the payment to be credited into.
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 20th Apr 17, 12:10 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:10 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:10 PM
    Sorry just to clarify Nationwide is who I currently hold an account with and where I would like the payment to be credited into.
    Originally posted by spngbx

So? They can't magic up the money.

Your original bank would need to retrieve it, then transfer it for you. Nationwide can do literally 0 in this situation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,512Posts Today

9,333Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin