Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zexbox
    • By zexbox 20th Apr 17, 12:02 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    zexbox
    My Motability end 6 months after handing car back help?
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:02 AM
    My Motability end 6 months after handing car back help? 20th Apr 17 at 12:02 AM
    Hello all hope everyone is good on here.

I have a situation and I really do not know how to deal with it, so I hope someone has dealt with this matter in the past and could best advice me.

When I was awarded PIP I was awarded it with Motability. The problem is though I was awarded it for three and a half years. I know it is a while away yet but I have to hand the car back in Feb 2018 but my Motability payments continue till Nov 2018 so im stuck then for 10 months without a vehicle. In this situation what would you normally do to resolve this as this is the first time I ever claimed motability.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • w06
    • By w06 20th Apr 17, 12:37 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    w06
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:37 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:37 AM
    Do you mean it's due for review in feb 2018?

If so I think I'm right saying that they'll review you before that.

If it gets to say October this year and they haven't initiated the review process I'd speak to the DWP, and also to Motability themselves. It is possible to extend leases in some circumstances. most importantly, don't panic, it won't be insurmountable
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 20th Apr 17, 8:20 AM
    • 750 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:20 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:20 AM

I have a situation and I really do not know how to deal with it, so I hope someone has dealt with this matter in the past and could best advice me.

When I was awarded PIP I was awarded it with Motability. The problem is though I was awarded it for three and a half years. I know it is a while away yet but I have to hand the car back in Feb 2018 but my Motability payments continue till Nov 2018 so im stuck then for 10 months without a vehicle. In this situation what would you normally do to resolve this as this is the first time I ever claimed motability.

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by zexbox
    Reviews take place 1 year before your award is due to end. With an award date till November 2018 they will review you in November 2017. Review forms are much shorter than the PIP2 forms and much easier to fill in.
    • easy
    • By easy 20th Apr 17, 9:51 AM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 2,553 Thanks
    easy
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:51 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:51 AM

Thanks in advance.
    So, I think what you are saying is that your MOTABILITY car contract ends in Feb 2018, but your PIP MOBILITY award is due for re-assesment in November 2018, is that right?

I wonder if motability would allow you to extend your lease on the car until November? I know that they will extend a normal 3 year lease to 5 years in some circumstances, perhaps they can be more flexible than that.
    In your shoes I would give them a call and ask. The people at Motability are absolutely lovely to speak to, and they try to help as much as possible.
    Give them a call on 0300 456 4566, then you'll get the answer you need.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 20th Apr 17, 10:22 AM
    • 6,024 Posts
    • 10,829 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:22 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:22 AM
    Reviews take place 1 year before your award is due to end. With an award date till November 2018 they will review you in November 2017. Review forms are much shorter than the PIP2 forms and much easier to fill in.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    My current award expires in September this year and I've not had a review form, the only letter I've had is the standard yearly updating letter. Should I be concerned?
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 20th Apr 17, 1:34 PM
    • 750 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:34 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:34 PM
    My current award expires in September this year and I've not had a review form, the only letter I've had is the standard yearly updating letter. Should I be concerned?
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    If it was me i'd be wondering why they haven't contacted me because reviews are always done 1 year before the award is due to end. I'd ring them if i were you.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 20th Apr 17, 4:14 PM
    • 6,024 Posts
    • 10,829 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:14 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:14 PM
    If it was me i'd be wondering why they haven't contacted me because reviews are always done 1 year before the award is due to end. I'd ring them if i were you.
    I'm not poking that bear, it might be because it was a relatively short award (18 months), the recent up-rating letter means they know I'm still here so I'll let them send their forms out in their own time.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    • zexbox
    • By zexbox 23rd Apr 17, 1:17 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    zexbox
    • 23rd Apr 17, 1:17 PM
    • 23rd Apr 17, 1:17 PM
    I would like to thank you all for your answers.

My original PIP award was for 3 years 8 months. We had the car in a febuary and the 3 years end in Feb 2018 but my PIP is up for renewal in Nov 2018. I was just wondering what happens normally in that gap, do I go out and buy a banger for my drive me around in? This is the first time I have ever been on PIP so I have no experience in this field. But I feel abit more confident now. I do hope the renew is a lot easier than the PIP2 form, I was surprised I never had a medical it was just awarded to me when I gave all my details.

I am in a no better state than I was 3 years ago. I would love for all of my issues just go away s I can get back on with my life, but im one of those people who always gets hit with bad news. They will not operate on my spine so I cn get some feeling back in my legs and make the pain go away, but they will drill in my head to try sort the epilepsy out, it's crazy. However I have my limits and I would rather live with Epilepsy than have my head drilled.

Thank you anyway, I shall not bore you with my issues lol...

x
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 23rd Apr 17, 3:52 PM
    • 750 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 23rd Apr 17, 3:52 PM
    • 23rd Apr 17, 3:52 PM
    I would like to thank you all for your answers.

My original PIP award was for 3 years 8 months. We had the car in a febuary and the 3 years end in Feb 2018 but my PIP is up for renewal in Nov 2018. I was just wondering what happens normally in that gap, do I go out and buy a banger for my drive me around in? This is the first time I have ever been on PIP so I have no experience in this field. But I feel abit more confident now. I do hope the renew is a lot easier than the PIP2 form, I was surprised I never had a medical it was just awarded to me when I gave all my details.

I am in a no better state than I was 3 years ago. I would love for all of my issues just go away s I can get back on with my life, but im one of those people who always gets hit with bad news. They will not operate on my spine so I cn get some feeling back in my legs and make the pain go away, but they will drill in my head to try sort the epilepsy out, it's crazy. However I have my limits and I would rather live with Epilepsy than have my head drilled.

Thank you anyway, I shall not bore you with my issues lol...

x
    PIP reviews are normally done 1 year before the award is due to end so if your award was for 3 years 8 months your renewal should be November 2017. My award is until November 2020 but my review is November 2019. At the end of your award notice it should state a date in which they'll contact you by which would be about 1 year before your award is due to end, please check just in case. Review forms are much shorter than PIP2 ones with simple boxes to tick, if there's no change just tick that box, if there's changes tick the box and tell them why and what's changed. Send evidence with your form as before but that's pretty much it. Hope this helps.
    • w06
    • By w06 24th Apr 17, 5:37 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    w06
    I'm not poking that bear, it might be because it was a relatively short award (18 months), the recent up-rating letter means they know I'm still here so I'll let them send their forms out in their own time.
    glaswejen, worth a read of Rightsnet http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/11055/ seems folk are having their PIP stopped during late reviews, not worth waiting too much longer
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 25th Apr 17, 8:20 AM
    • 750 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    poppy12345
    glaswejen, worth a read of Rightsnet http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/11055/ seems folk are having their PIP stopped during late reviews, not worth waiting too much longer
    Originally posted by w06
    You're right payments will stop at the award date end if a review or decision hasn't been made on existing award. This has always been the case.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 25th Apr 17, 2:21 PM
    • 6,024 Posts
    • 10,829 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Originally posted by w06
    I wouldn't expect them to pay me when the award expires. On reading the rightsnet forum it seems that 12 month reviews are for ATOS areas, my assessment was done by SALUS so that's probably why I haven't been called up.

NOT BUYING IT
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 25th Apr 17, 3:45 PM
    • 750 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    poppy12345
    I wouldn't expect them to pay me when the award expires. On reading the rightsnet forum it seems that 12 month reviews are for ATOS areas, my assessment was done by SALUS so that's probably why I haven't been called up.
    ATOS and CAPITA do PIP assessments and the reviews are normally done 1 year before the award is due to end. This is the case for who ever is doing the assessments.

Having just "googled" SALUS i find they're subcontracted by ATOS in the Scotland area. You should still have been contacted by DWP PIP with a review form to fill in and return to PIP along with your evidence. They then send your file to who ever does the assessment (SALUS) in your case. It wouldn't be SALUS that would send you the review form. My review form was sent to me last year by PIP DWP.
    Last edited by poppy12345; Yesterday at 3:53 PM.
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 26th Apr 17, 2:32 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    ATOS and CAPITA do PIP assessments and the reviews are normally done 1 year before the award is due to end. This is the case for who ever is doing the assessments.

Having just "googled" SALUS i find they're subcontracted by ATOS in the Scotland area. You should still have been contacted by DWP PIP with a review form to fill in and return to PIP along with your evidence. They then send your file to who ever does the assessment (SALUS) in your case. It wouldn't be SALUS that would send you the review form. My review form was sent to me last year by PIP DWP.
    Yes it is the general rule that a 'review' takes place approx. 12 months before the end date.

However I have seen it reported on other forums that the DWP are well within their rights, depending on what the original decision was, that they will treat the award as being 'non reviewable' - that it is for a fixed period only. In this case some claimants are sent a letter some weeks before the end date and the claimant has to make an entirely new claim when the old one finishes.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 26th Apr 17, 10:15 PM
    • 6,024 Posts
    • 10,829 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Yes it is the general rule that a 'review' takes place approx. 12 months before the end date.

However I have seen it reported on other forums that the DWP are well within their rights, depending on what the original decision was, that they will treat the award as being 'non reviewable' - that it is for a fixed period only. In this case some claimants are sent a letter some weeks before the end date and the claimant has to make an entirely new claim when the old one finishes.
    Originally posted by rockingbilly
    This would be my luck lol! No idea how a tribunal can award a paraplegic for 18 months but my brother in law who laid a patio the other week and who is currently re-tiling his bathroom and kitchen from floor to ceiling got a 5 year award

NOT BUYING IT
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,191Posts Today

8,151Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @EmmaDark30: @MartinSLewis off on holiday next month all paid for with free cash for switching bank accounts! Thank you!

• MSE weekly email: Big Energy Switch 7, £5 Next/Zara etc, buy euros now?, 10xNectar, 2for1 gardens, urgent easyjet https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's Twitter poll 2: following on, which of these professions would you trust least if you were using their services?

• Follow Martin