Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fjh
    • By fjh 19th Apr 17, 9:52 PM
    • 66Posts
    • 7Thanks
    fjh
    AVC question
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:52 PM
    AVC question 19th Apr 17 at 9:52 PM
    I am 61 , NRA 65, in a FS pension and in addition I have an AVC with my employer.
    I have app £35k in AVC - would I be able to transfer the AVC to a SIPP then draw that in cash prior to drawing my main pension? - this would be well within a 25% allowance
    These funds would be used for home repairs and credit card bills
    Welcome your thoughts .
    Many thanks
Page 1
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 19th Apr 17, 10:47 PM
    • 9,579 Posts
    • 6,095 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:47 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:47 PM
    Will depend on the scheme rules, you need to ask your employer, hr dept or similar.
    • Number75
    • By Number75 20th Apr 17, 8:19 AM
    • 171 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    Number75
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:19 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:19 AM
    As bigadaj says, depends on your scheme rules.
    I know in my private sector company scheme the AVCs can't be touched or transferred until the main DB scheme is started.
    • ermine
    • By ermine 20th Apr 17, 9:24 AM
    • 547 Posts
    • 778 Thanks
    ermine
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:24 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:24 AM
    would I be able to transfer the AVC to a SIPP then draw that in cash prior to drawing my main pension? - this would be well within a 25% allowance
    These funds would be used for home repairs and credit card bills
    Originally posted by fjh
    What you definitely won't be able to do is transfer it and draw the cash tax-free as a 25% PCLS taking the main pension into account. If you can transfer it to a SIPP you get to take 25% of the transferred AVC fund as a PCLS, and get to pay tax on the rest of it. That's much more tax than you would pay if you didn't transfer it, particularly if you are still earning.

I retired early, transferred my AVC from my still deferred FS pension, took the 25% of AVC PCLS and then started running out the rest under the personal allowance, but I am not still earning and was debt free. Then I wanted to raise more cash to I run it out up to the HRT tax threshold and get to pay £7k of tax this year. But I can let that go, I would have paid 40% tax on it when earning plus it was invested and I got a Brexit boost from the fall in the £, so the tax hit isn't too bad.

It may still be rational to pay the 20% tax to clear your credit cards because you will be paying four years of interest on them, but leave the home repairs well alone.

The rules for my pension scheme said I had to transfer *all* the AVC fund, I would have preferred to transfer only half. But it was still better to use the AVC for running costs and keep my pension deferred as close to NRA as possible, so I took the hit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,714Posts Today

7,739Users online

Martin's Twitter