Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dalehitchy
    • By dalehitchy 19th Apr 17, 9:02 PM
    • 47Posts
    • 24Thanks
    dalehitchy
    Leaving a Solicitor review... When i finally complete
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:02 PM
    Leaving a Solicitor review... When i finally complete 19th Apr 17 at 9:02 PM
    I'm getting that annoyed with my solicitor that I've begun writing a review early. Tell me what you think.

This is the first review i have ever written and let me start by saying i very rarely get frustrated, and when i do i normally keep quiet as i usually think the people are having a bad day and i don't want to make them feel worse. But xxxxxx must be having a bad 5 months.

It’s ironic that when you're first greeted by xxxxxxx answering machine that it states that they keep you 'updated every step of the way’.... Because that is anything but true. You'll get so little communication you will probably forget you are even buying a house. Heck, they probably forgot about it too. You will occasionally get to speak to a secretary… if you contact them first and manage to actually get one of their promised mythical call backs.

Now i don't like calling many people useless, but any questions directed at the secretary will usually be responded with 'oh I don't know what that means on the document’.... Well… YOU sent ME the document so you should know. At least go and find out for me! The secretary will also talk all over you over and not listen to what you actually say. You'll get an answer to a question but it's not the question you asked. Any update given will normally be the same update you got 3 weeks ago. I know it takes time to get responses to searches… But Apparently it takes 3 weeks to even send a document to my lender (to which my lender responded… why are they sending us this… well don't need it)

The seller was frustrated in the end. The mortgage broker was frustrated. I'm frustrated. My mortgage broker have been chasing things up where they can. I think they did half of the solicitors job as they chased for things with the bank when the solicitor didn't. When i had confirmation that the bank had replied to my broker I was lied to by xxxxxxx that they were still waiting for a reply from them. They replied 2 days prior!

The final annoyance was that the solicitor was away for a week… and the response from my lender was not understood by anyone at xxxxxxx and was was being passed around. When myself and my mortgage broker chased this up with the lender… my lender was wondering what's the confusion. I think xxxxx will do anything to bide time as they probably took on too much work… or they are just plain incompetent.
    Last edited by dalehitchy; 20-04-2017 at 8:55 PM.
Page 1
    • dalehitchy
    • By dalehitchy 19th Apr 17, 10:51 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    dalehitchy
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:51 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:51 PM
    Too harsh or deserved?
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 20th Apr 17, 12:28 AM
    • 8,996 Posts
    • 11,251 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:28 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:28 AM
    I think you're just frustrated and trying to find a way to vent your anger, etc.

It's a bit like childbirth. Once it's all over, you'll forget about it. I could have written it about most solicitors I've dealt with as it's the most important thing in your life at that time and you feel they're not responding quickly enough or keeping you informed - but when I look back, I've not got many bad words to say about most of them lol.

Secretaries aren't qualified to give out information. I'm a legal secretary myself (corporate though) and would never give out info over the phone to a client. It's all given by qualified solicitors. Oh and I'm just there to do my job and leave at 6pm. I'm not there to understand documents, I merely amend them. Sorry I'm not a wannabe solicitor (or even paralegal). I'm there to pay my mortgage and bills and wouldn't want to do their job if my life depended on it.

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; book; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs
    • anselld
    • By anselld 20th Apr 17, 7:15 AM
    • 5,128 Posts
    • 4,661 Thanks
    anselld
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:15 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:15 AM
    Looks like normal conveyancing process!
    Perhaps you are FTB and have not realised that Solicitors work to a different timescale to everyone else. You need to lower your expectations or face further disappointment in future.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 20th Apr 17, 7:54 AM
    • 22,140 Posts
    • 86,521 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:54 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:54 AM
    It's far too long and full of unnecessary detail. Few will read it.

Where's it supposed to go? This isn't the praise and vent section of MSE.

Next time, do better homework on finding a good solicitor who will meet your expectations.
    Working subliminally.
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 20th Apr 17, 8:09 AM
    • 1,823 Posts
    • 1,586 Thanks
    AlexMac
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:09 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:09 AM
    Complain formally?
    http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/for-the-public/using-a-solicitor/complaints/
    or move on as suggested above?

Reviews? Who reads 'em?

Parallel case in point; if you google GOLDCAR, a car rental company in Spain, you'll find 250,000 complaints, not just of inefficiency, but of real scams costing holidaymakers hundreds of euros in fake fuelling charges, insurance add-ons and fabricated bodywork damage.

But new complaints still appear weekly on Tripadvisor; implying that there is an endless supply of gullible punters out there.

At least UK solicitors are regulated!
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 20th Apr 17, 9:48 AM
    • 1,492 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:48 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:48 AM
    Vent away if you want to, but all it really says is that you don't really understand how firms of solicitors work, nor appreciate the somewhat different timescales they operate to.

It also suggests you're looking a level of handholding that's simply unrealistic in this day and age - businesses rarely have sufficient time to call customers out of the blue with updates to say that there is no update. Finally, whilst buying a house is a bit deal for you, you are simply one of many customers they have, all of whom are at different stages of what is ultimately a relatively dull procedural transaction for a solicitor.

Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, but I feel you need your expectations managed a little here...
    • tykesi
    • By tykesi 20th Apr 17, 10:20 AM
    • 1,650 Posts
    • 2,205 Thanks
    tykesi
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:20 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:20 AM
    I always think reviews and complaints have more impact if the spelling and grammar are correct throughout, anything else just gives me a certain idea of the author and I find it hard to shake it.

Let me guess OP, you found the cheapest firm you could without checking reviews? You really do get what you pay for.
    2017 in 2017 - 1974.69
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 20th Apr 17, 10:40 AM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:40 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:40 AM
    It sounds like you used a cheap volume conveyancer? If so you wouldn't have been dealing with an actual solicitor.

I think you should remove the reference to lying. This is an unfair allegation. It is also defamatory, especially as you are naming the individual.

You simply don't know whether that person was lying or not. It is perfectly possible that the bank's response was misplaced, or that he/she simply missed it.
    • lika_86
    • By lika_86 20th Apr 17, 11:06 AM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 3,938 Thanks
    lika_86
    I worked in a high volume, low cost conveyancing firm as a new graduate from university (on the princely sum of 12,500 a year).

We charged a few hundred pounds for a simple freehold transaction, some transactions lasted months, required a lot of work and we received a lot of demands on our time from clients constantly chasing unnecessarily (one example being a client who called at 4.40pm on a Friday for an update and again at 9.10am the following Monday, I'm not sure what he thought might have changed in half an hour of working time, but there you go).

The problem is that client see themselves as handing over thousands of pounds to their solicitors and so expect a top notch service. In reality, once you take out stamp duty, search fees, CHAPS fees, registration fees etc, the actual fee to the solicitor is really small, so they have to take on a lot of cases to actually make any money. The trade off for paying so little is that sometimes you will not receive the service you would in a firm which charges more and takes on fewer clients.

Also, to expect a secretary to answer legal questions really is unreasonable. If you don't know the answer, why would a secretary?! Don't get me wrong, many are very good but even if they suspected they knew the answer, wouldn't tell you for fear of being wrong or misleading.

Don't leave this review anywhere.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 20th Apr 17, 11:16 AM
    • 8,996 Posts
    • 11,251 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Also, to expect a secretary to answer legal questions really is unreasonable. If you don't know the answer, why would a secretary?! Don't get me wrong, many are very good but even if they suspected they knew the answer, wouldn't tell you for fear of being wrong or misleading.
    Originally posted by lika_86
    Exactly. I'd probably be sacked if I started looking up info and giving it out! The legal profession does not work like that! I'm not 'allowed' to even say if someone's out of the office or away and can't give out any names or positions. We can only say 'they're unavailable at the moment'. The only thing I put my name to is when I forward post on to companies that have their registered address here.

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; book; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs
    • hounsehunterftb
    • By hounsehunterftb 20th Apr 17, 1:24 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    hounsehunterftb
    Seems like OP just wanted to vent out all the anger. Its all about the expectations. We are just dealing with one of them while they are dealing with thousands like us. All I can say is, we have to be as patient as possible without getting too anxious.

From the personal experience, I am too going through a lot of waiting game and uncertainty. Times when I feel nothing is moving forward. But you are in a very helpless situation where in all you can do is chase and get the status. Beyond a point, its your patience that needs to win.
    • dalehitchy
    • By dalehitchy 20th Apr 17, 2:38 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    dalehitchy
    It wasn't an online conveyancer. It wasn't the cheapest either. It was about 1000 for a 94k house. They didn't have many reviews but they ones they did have were mostly good bar one or two.
    • dk5294
    • By dk5294 20th Apr 17, 2:57 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    dk5294
    I think we are using the same solicitor. Our last communication from him was an out of office response to our email chasing information we asked for yesterday, we didn't receive any word from him. Phoned his office and was told "he's away until Tuesday, I don't know if everything is in place, he'll call on Tuesday" we are meant to get the keys on Wednesday!!!!!!!!

For the sum of 1300 I really would expect a bit more professionalism?
    • dalehitchy
    • By dalehitchy 24th Apr 17, 8:28 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    dalehitchy
    Ok so update,

Originally was working towards the last bank holiday. That went out the window because it took them 3 weeks to send my bank a query.
    So I went in Friday to sign some things and was asked when I want to exchange. I said 1 week.. so that puts it to this Friday. But I need to check with Landlord as I have been holding putting off my notice due to the previous mess arounds. She said tell me Monday Morning.

Monday morning comes and I ring at 9.15am. Shes not available and will call back. Waits 2 hours. No calls. So I call again - 'not available at the moment, having some furniture moved around in her office but she will definitely call you back personally'
    5 pm comes, and she doesnt know if its possible to now exchange / complete on Friday now for 2 reasons:

Too late in the day
    She hasnt requested any of the forms to state that my partner will be living in the property with me which was known from the start.

The seller also contacted me today asking me whats happening as his solictor had hear nothing from mine in 3 weeks. This is the second time hes mention this and when I have brought it up with my solicitors they brushed it straight off and said I don't know why they have said that.
    Last edited by dalehitchy; 24-04-2017 at 8:35 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,511Posts Today

6,744Users online

Martin's Twitter