Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 2013yearofthehouse
    • By 2013yearofthehouse 19th Apr 17, 8:26 PM
    • 2,058Posts
    • 36,963Thanks
    2013yearofthehouse
    How quickly/frequently do the seals on double glazing units tend to fail?
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:26 PM
    How quickly/frequently do the seals on double glazing units tend to fail? 19th Apr 17 at 8:26 PM
    We installed double glazing for the first time 3.5 years ago.

We have 8 windows, but with 21 separate units.

Within a few months of installation, we noticed condensation between the sheets of glass on one of the units (on the internal side of the outer sheet). Called the double glazing company and they replaced the unit a few weeks later, free of charge under the 10 year guarantee. We thought oh well, just one of those things, at least we bought from a good company, who provide an excellent service.

However, within the first 2 years 4 units failed in this way. We thought maybe it was just bad luck and several units were maybe weak/damaged/faulty when they went in, a sort of "bad batch" or something, but 1 unit that was replaced after a year, needed replacing again after another year. Now we're at 3.5 years old and another 2 units have failed recently, so that's 7 units (5 out of the original 21 and 2 replacements) in total.

Is this a common problem or have we just been unlucky?

The company have been replacing them free of charge, so other than the inconvience, we've nothing to really complain about, I'm just so grateful we found a company who haven't disappeared or refused to replace! I am concerned about after our 10 year guarantee runs out though. We had to save for years to have the work done, so won't be able to go on replacing them ourselves once the company stop doing it for free. Actually, I'm not sure if each new replacement unit would be covered 10 years from installation, so it's extending each time or we have 6.5 years left? Everyone I know has double glazing that is 15+ years old, so if they have the odd unit that's blown, they've just left it. Some have 10+ windows 15-20 years old and none of them are blown (or 1 or 2 have a minor cloudy patch that isn't that noticeable or doesn't affect a large area of the unit, not heavy condensation), so I guess I just thought double glazing was meant to last years without trouble.
    Last edited by 2013yearofthehouse; 19-04-2017 at 8:42 PM.
Page 1
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 19th Apr 17, 10:04 PM
    • 2,230 Posts
    • 1,487 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:04 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:04 PM
    Any time between the day after they are put in & never. The windows in our house were over 30 years old & only a few had gone when we replaced the lot for other reasons. I've also had them go within a couple of years in the past.

I'd have a good read of that guarantee too, I doubt the sealed units are covered for 10 years. The good news is that sealed units aren't very expensive & if the replacements are going too I'd be tempted to go elsewhere in the future.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 19th Apr 17, 10:18 PM
    • 1,609 Posts
    • 2,404 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:18 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:18 PM
    poor fitting, using the wrong size packers, using something else because they ran out of packers, packers in the wrong place (especially for opening windows) packers cut in half so offering limited support etc is the main thing we see renovating property. I have noticed also that windows that get a lot of sun tend to fail more than those that don't.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Apr 17, 10:22 PM
    • 4,335 Posts
    • 17,834 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:22 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:22 PM
    I've got several windows in my house that were installed in about 1987, none of them has ever gone misty, nor have the newer ones installed 9 years ago.

You seem to have been incredibly unlucky with yours, I would be questioning with the company why repeated replacements have been required, mentioning words like 'not fit for purpose' etc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,107Posts Today

4,357Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin