Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Black_Eyeliner
    • By Black_Eyeliner 19th Apr 17, 7:52 PM
    • 136Posts
    • 26Thanks
    Black_Eyeliner
    Damage to rented Enterprise van
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:52 PM
    Damage to rented Enterprise van 19th Apr 17 at 7:52 PM
    My OH hired a van from Enterprise today, and managed to put a small dent in it by hitting a wall. Enterprise have taken £1,150 from my credit card, which they say is a deposit for the repair. They said they will contact us in a couple of days once the repair is complete, and that they will refund us the remainder of our deposit minus the cost of the repair.

My question is: how much are Enterprise likely to charge is for this type of repair?
Page 1
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 19th Apr 17, 7:54 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:54 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:54 PM
    Without seeing the dent who can tell. You'll also be paying for the lost rental too.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 19th Apr 17, 8:26 PM
    • 912 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:26 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:26 PM
    My OH hired a van from Enterprise today, and managed to put a small dent in it by hitting a wall. Enterprise have taken £1,150 from my credit card, which they say is a deposit for the repair. They said they will contact us in a couple of days once the repair is complete, and that they will refund us the remainder of our deposit minus the cost of the repair.

My question is: how much are Enterprise likely to charge is for this type of repair?
    Originally posted by Black_Eyeliner
    I'm afraid there's no way of knowing but they don't have an incentive to keep the cost down. Did you take out excess insurance? It would mean you would have to pay up front for the repair but then be able to claim it back.
    • force ten
    • By force ten 19th Apr 17, 8:34 PM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    force ten
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:34 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:34 PM
    it will cost £623.27P
    • Black_Eyeliner
    • By Black_Eyeliner 19th Apr 17, 8:57 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Black_Eyeliner
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:57 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:57 PM
    I'm afraid there's no way of knowing but they don't have an incentive to keep the cost down. Did you take out excess insurance? It would mean you would have to pay up front for the repair but then be able to claim it back.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    We never took out the extra insurance because the cost of being the van for the morning was £35, and the extra insurance was £25. We are regretting it now though.
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 19th Apr 17, 8:58 PM
    • 829 Posts
    • 900 Thanks
    treboeth
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:58 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:58 PM
    it will cost £623.27P
    Originally posted by force ten
    Is that plus vat or inclusive?
    • Black_Eyeliner
    • By Black_Eyeliner 19th Apr 17, 9:00 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Black_Eyeliner
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:00 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:00 PM
    it will cost £623.27P
    How do you know this?
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 19th Apr 17, 9:10 PM
    • 3,208 Posts
    • 5,444 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:10 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:10 PM
    I would guess at North of 2k, Enterprise will have a contract with a body shop and will have screwed down the price which on the face of it is good news for you, your problem will be that the body shop will want to do work that has more profit in it so the van will slip down the list, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a couple of weeks plus to get done.

Enterprise won't care how long it takes as you will be paying a daily rental charge.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • force ten
    • By force ten 19th Apr 17, 9:31 PM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    force ten
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:31 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:31 PM
    Is that plus vat or inclusive?
    Originally posted by treboeth
    plus VAT
    • Black_Eyeliner
    • By Black_Eyeliner 19th Apr 17, 9:34 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Black_Eyeliner
    Thanks for all the replies. It's such minor damage, it just seems so unfair that we're gong tonne charged hundreds, possibly thousands, for the repair.
    • force ten
    • By force ten 19th Apr 17, 9:35 PM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    force ten
    How do you know this?
    sorry it it a random figure that i plucked out of the air which is all anybody could do in answer to your question

you didnt even tell anybody the location of the damage or the size of the dent but you wanted to know "how much are Enterprise likely to charge is for this type of repair?"
    • Geodark
    • By Geodark 19th Apr 17, 10:12 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    Geodark
    Thanks for all the replies. It's such minor damage, it just seems so unfair that we're gong tonne charged hundreds, possibly thousands, for the repair.
    Why is it unfair? you have rented a van of theirs, damaged it after refusing to pay the extra insurance and then feel wronged when you have been asked to pay for it?
    • Black_Eyeliner
    • By Black_Eyeliner 19th Apr 17, 10:16 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Black_Eyeliner
    sorry it it a random figure that i plucked out of the air which is all anybody could do in answer to your question

you didnt even tell anybody the location of the damage or the size of the dent but you wanted to know "how much are Enterprise likely to charge is for this type of repair?"
    I suppose I was interested in others' experiences of dealing with Enterprise. I wasn't expecting some sort of quote. There's no need to need to be cruel to me. This forum is supposed to be a community for advice.
    • Black_Eyeliner
    • By Black_Eyeliner 19th Apr 17, 10:20 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Black_Eyeliner
    Why is it unfair? you have rented a van of theirs, damaged it after refusing to pay the extra insurance and then feel wronged when you have been asked to pay for it?
    Originally posted by Geodark
    I don't mind paying for the damage. But I do mind having to pay hundreds or thousands of pounds for something minor. And I don't like that Enterprise can just take whatever amount they like from my credit card.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 19th Apr 17, 10:31 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    I don't mind paying for the damage. But I do mind having to pay hundreds or thousands of pounds for something minor. And I don't like that Enterprise can just take whatever amount they like from my credit card.
    Well let's say £1000 for the repair plus the lost rental while it's in for repair would be a rough guess. Any happier now?
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 19th Apr 17, 10:51 PM
    • 829 Posts
    • 900 Thanks
    treboeth
    Unfortunately this would have been in the terms you agreed to when you hired the van, not many people will read every sentence and thats how they get away with the high charges.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 19th Apr 17, 11:05 PM
    • 912 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    We never took out the extra insurance because the cost of being the van for the morning was £35, and the extra insurance was £25. We are regretting it now though.
    For future reference you can buy such insurance from a third party insurer, usually at a rate much, much cheaper than the rental company will charge for it. For example, I recently hired a car for five days and got excess cover for £17. I could have bought annual excess cover for about £40. With these policies, you have to pay the excess for the damage and then subsequently claim from the insurer to recover the amount, so you need to be comfortable with the amount being on your credit card for the interim period.
    • Black_Eyeliner
    • By Black_Eyeliner 20th Apr 17, 6:05 AM
    • 136 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Black_Eyeliner
    Well let's say £1000 for the repair plus the lost rental while it's in for repair would be a rough guess. Any happier now?
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    No, not really.
    • rich13348
    • By rich13348 20th Apr 17, 8:19 AM
    • 790 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    rich13348
    It's unfortunate but at then end of the day you damaged their property and they have a right to fix it. Also bodywork and paint is a skilled job that you pay a premium for so they cannot get it done for peanuts.

They also have a right to get it repaired properly and cover any losses for when the van is out of use.

You agreed to all this when you signed and gave them your credit card details.

In future look in to 3rd party excess insurance or tell your OH to drive better.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 20th Apr 17, 10:01 AM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 3,720 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    Until you get the final bill all you currently know is that it will be a maximum of £1,150 because that is the standard excess on their commercial vans.

When hiring a van you are taking out a vehicle than most people are not used to driving and you are likely to be moving bulky heavy stuff in it, so the chances of damaging the vehicle are much higher than with a car.

My annual excess policy does not cover commercial vehicles, so this is one time I would consider taking out the rental company's excess insurance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,680Posts Today

8,566Users online

Martin's Twitter