Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • easy
    • By easy 19th Apr 17, 7:48 PM
    • 2,274Posts
    • 2,667Thanks
    easy
    Dual sim phone, more complicated than I thought, anyone help?
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:48 PM
    Dual sim phone, more complicated than I thought, anyone help? 19th Apr 17 at 7:48 PM
    Need someone who is a bit techy to help with this please.
    I have a personal phone contract with Tesco, had it for years, love it.
    I have a PAYG Sim from Three, which is used so that I can work from home/ have flexible office hours. It is a number which can be given to my company's customers, so they can call me. I don't use any data on it, and very rarely call/text out, as I have plenty of capacity to do that on my personal contract if necessary - or I call them when I am back in the office. I chose Three because any money we put on the sim doesn't expire after a month, AND because they have WiFi calling (Three in Touch), useful cos mobile reception in my house can be a bit dodgy.

So for the last few months I've been carrying 2 phones about with me, a pain in the bum. I've treated myself to a shiny new Moto g5 which takes 2 sims. my intention was that my tesco sim would be my Primary sim - all outgoing calls/texts and data would use that sim, and the Three sim would be secondary, simply there to receive calls.

BUT .... the Three sim won't work as the secondary sim. After a lot of faffing about and chats with three support over twitter, I find that this is because whichever sim is set as the secondary sim only uses 2g - and Three no longer uses 2g - so I can't make this work as I'd like to.

So .. techy experts out there - do you know if any of the networks still support 2g, and have wifi calling (is that even technically possible)? If they also have PAYG which doesn't expire that would be icing on the cake - but I think I'm pushing the boundaries too far with that .

I feel like a right chump at the moment, cos the dual sim phone was a right waste of money
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say.
Page 2
    • devizes18193
    • By devizes18193 20th Apr 17, 4:09 PM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 673 Thanks
    devizes18193
    I have a wiley fox swift witch runs plusnet and three for data on sim 2 wich works fine on 3g/4g
    • d123
    • By d123 20th Apr 17, 6:34 PM
    • 6,739 Posts
    • 4,302 Thanks
    d123
    I have a wiley fox swift witch runs plusnet and three for data on sim 2 wich works fine on 3g/4g
    Originally posted by devizes18193
    You can have 3G/4G on both sims at the same time? Other users of the Swift (and reviews) have said it's 2G on the non-data sim...
    ====
    • bubieyehyeh
    • By bubieyehyeh 20th Apr 17, 10:10 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    bubieyehyeh
    Your supposition is right, the G5 has had cost cutting and uses older dual sim hardware that only allows 2G on sim2.
    Originally posted by d123
    Oh that is a shame, I was considering MotoG5 for my next phone, no longer.

I'm now hoping the nokia 6 has the MotoG4 like functionality after reading "Support 3g/4g dual sim dual standby" in http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_6_starts_getting_android_711_update-news-24537.php
    Last edited by bubieyehyeh; 20-04-2017 at 10:14 PM.
    • mrcamp
    • By mrcamp 24th Apr 17, 11:48 AM
    • 288 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    mrcamp
    All the mentiones here are correct - Regarding most dual sim phones supporting 2G ONLY on sim 2. Rendered sim 2 on my ASUS zenfone 2 useless in the US when AT&T killed off 2G late last year. I have a Lumia 650 dual sim and it does not have this limitation. Any of the sims can do 3G/4G, but only one at a time of course.
    • d123
    • By d123 24th Apr 17, 12:23 PM
    • 6,739 Posts
    • 4,302 Thanks
    d123
    I have a Lumia 650 dual sim and it does not have this limitation. Any of the sims can do 3G/4G, but only one at a time of course.
    Originally posted by mrcamp
    That's what made the Moto G4 plus quite unique, it could do 3G/4G and 3G at the same time.

It meant you could use a sim for data in one slot and a 3UK sim on 3-2-1 for calls in the second slot.
    ====
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 24th Apr 17, 6:08 PM
    • 2,967 Posts
    • 1,306 Thanks
    eDicky
    I have a Lumia 650 dual sim and it does not have this limitation. Any of the sims can do 3G/4G, but only one at a time of course.
    Originally posted by mrcamp
    Any dual SIM phone can do that, with the SIM for data use being selectable and the other SIM restricted to 2G. I don't understand how your Zenphone was any different...
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 3rd May 17, 12:43 PM
    • 2,967 Posts
    • 1,306 Thanks
    eDicky
    That's interesting, perhaps all or most dual SIM phones now available in Singapore have this capability, as a necessity. I am going to check...
    Originally posted by eDicky
    Today I checked, and yes, for all dual-SIM phones sold here in Singapore, and most are dual-SIM if not provided by a network, the second SIM that is not using 3G/4G data runs on 3G (only). No phones with 2G capability have been sold here for a while, except mostly second hand for export to Indonesia etc. There's no longer any 2G in Singapore.

So there's no particular reason why the latest models sold in UK and elsewhere, such as Moto G5, don't have 3G capability on the non-data SIM, unless it's perhaps considered that 2G is more reliable and better coverage for voice calls. I doubt it can be much cheaper to produce the 2G model. Ideally the second (non-data) SIM would be 2G/3G, but perhaps that's more of a challenge or cost issue.

My enquiries also confirmed that with the latest model ranges of all brands the second slot is 'hybrid', it can take either a SIM card or an SD memory card - there is no third slot for the SD card. So you can either use them as dual-SIM with no SD card, or single-SIM plus SD card, you cannot have all three. Nobody could tell me the reason fot this innovation, which I had already noticed in Thailand. The only exception to this is the Moto Z Play (and not the Moto Z), which has the three slots, two for SIM cards and one for SD card.
    • Supatramp
    • By Supatramp 4th May 17, 7:57 AM
    • 370 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Supatramp
    Presumably you're still talking about Singapore when you mention that all latest phones are 'hybrid', because my G5 Plus has 3 slots, 2 for SIMs plus 1 for an SD card.
    David.
    • Intasun32
    • By Intasun32 4th May 17, 9:25 AM
    • 441 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    Intasun32
    @Easy.

I recently purchased the new Lenovo Moto G6 dual sim and had the same problem.

I also used a 3 PAYG sim as the second sim and it would not work, although it recognised the sim and number but when switched and I tried to call it just showed no network.

When the PAYG was used as the main account, sim 1, it worked perfect but again the second 3 sim did not work.

After four hours switching back and forth and changing settings I gave up and returned the phone to Amazon for a refund.

I never thought to try another networks sim as the second account! Who would have thought with technology today and a 2017 phone that a network sim would not be compatible.

Like you I'm back to two phones.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 4th May 17, 11:03 AM
    • 2,967 Posts
    • 1,306 Thanks
    eDicky
    Presumably you're still talking about Singapore when you mention that all latest phones are 'hybrid', because my G5 Plus has 3 slots, 2 for SIMs plus 1 for an SD card.
    Originally posted by Supatramp
    Not only Singapore, it seems to be the new standard everywhere for the latest mid/high end models. That's good to know about the Moto G5 being an additional exception (it's not sold in Singapore).
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 22nd Jun 17, 4:10 AM
    • 2,967 Posts
    • 1,306 Thanks
    eDicky
    The Moto G5 Plus now on sale here in Thailand (and probably Singapore etc) does have 3G capability on the second (non-data) SIM.

Can any owners of this dual-SIM model purchased in UK confirm whether it has the same capability, or is only 2G connection possible on the second SIM?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

254Posts Today

1,458Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin