Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • douglas_ohare83
    • By douglas_ohare83 19th Apr 17, 7:25 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 3Thanks
    douglas_ohare83
    Housing Quick Sale Companies
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:25 PM
    Housing Quick Sale Companies 19th Apr 17 at 7:25 PM
    Hi folks,

We currently own a flat but we have been offered a council house to rent which is more suitable for my wife's medical conditions.

We were looking to quickly sell the flat we have, and were considering using a quick sale company.

I know the valuation / offer from the company will be below market value but as long as its enough to cover the remainder of our mortgage plus a wee bit extra then we are willing to take the hit.

Does anyone know if there are any companies that are better than others, or has anyone used one of these companies before?

Thanks in Advance!
Page 1
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 19th Apr 17, 7:38 PM
    • 4,790 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:38 PM
    Previous advice on here was to avoid these companies, and just reduce the price with a local agent, as they take less of a cut?
    • Typhoon2000
    • By Typhoon2000 19th Apr 17, 7:38 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    Typhoon2000
    Expect 50% less than what it's worth. Better to put in in an auction, just as quick and you may get 25% more.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 19th Apr 17, 7:40 PM
    • 4,790 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:40 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:40 PM
    A house is "worth" what a buyer will pay you for it.
    • douglas_ohare83
    • By douglas_ohare83 19th Apr 17, 7:45 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    douglas_ohare83
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:45 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:45 PM
    thanks for your replies

the biggest problem i have is i cannot afford to pay my mortgage and rent at the same time, hence why i was going for a quick sale route.

cant really afford to pay to get valuations done etc as well. Not sure how it all works either.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 19th Apr 17, 7:48 PM
    • 4,790 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:48 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:48 PM
    Get permission to rent the flat out short term from the mortgage company, tell the tenant they need to let potential buyers view, for maybe a slightly reduced rent?
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 19th Apr 17, 7:55 PM
    • 2,726 Posts
    • 3,726 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:55 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:55 PM
    Get a local agent to put it into an auction. If you get it into an auction soon you might even sell it quicker and with less hassle than the quick buying companies. You will probably also get more for it.
    • douglas_ohare83
    • By douglas_ohare83 19th Apr 17, 8:15 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    douglas_ohare83
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:15 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:15 PM
    thanks again guys

one thing i was considering, if i can manage it, is using a company like purple bricks with a fixed fee sale, and list the flat at lower than market value, see if i can get a quick sale that way
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 19th Apr 17, 8:32 PM
    • 2,726 Posts
    • 3,726 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:32 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:32 PM
    thanks again guys

one thing i was considering, if i can manage it, is using a company like purple bricks with a fixed fee sale, and list the flat at lower than market value, see if i can get a quick sale that way
    Originally posted by douglas_ohare83
    The thing about putting it into an auction is that the auction house circulates the details of what is in their next sale so you get quite a lot of publicity that way. Also people don't have to wait until the auction to make an offer so if you got an offer prior to the auction that was acceptable to you, you could sell it before it got to the actual auction. You would need to talk to the agent connected to the auction about what price would be acceptable to you. If you ever look at an auction sold list you often see properties listed as sold prior. That means that the seller accepted an offer before the property reached the auction.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 20th Apr 17, 12:34 AM
    • 9,518 Posts
    • 11,999 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Estate agents will value it for free.

Cheap enough, and they may have an investor who'd be interested. They'll usually want to buy a quickly as possible.

In this market, you'd want a property that's easy to rent out. Wouldn't think it would suit a developer as the market appears to be slowing down. They'll not want to spend £££ only to lose it all.

Auction prob the way to go. Set a reserve.

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation
    • crisp
    • By crisp 20th Apr 17, 7:26 AM
    • 368 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    crisp
    You will expect a lower than market offer for the time saving etc.

It depends on how quick you can sell conventionally, condition of the property and area. What area of the country are you?
    Last edited by crisp; 20-04-2017 at 7:30 AM.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 20th Apr 17, 8:43 AM
    • 5,123 Posts
    • 4,777 Thanks
    eddddy
    the biggest problem i have is i cannot afford to pay my mortgage and rent at the same time, hence why i was going for a quick sale route.
    Originally posted by douglas_ohare83
    FWIW, you are exactly the sort of person that rogue Quick Sale Companies would target.

They will make 'promises' to persuade you to sign a contract which ties you in for many weeks/months.

Then they will leave you to get desperate, because you cannot afford both rent and mortgage.

Then, eventually, they will offer you a pittance - and you will probably accept it because you are desperate.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 20th Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    • 4,790 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    FWIW, you are exactly the sort of person that rogue Quick Sale Companies would target.

They will make 'promises' to persuade you to sign a contract which ties you in for many weeks/months.

Then they will leave you to get desperate, because you cannot afford both rent and mortgage.

Then, eventually, they will offer you a pittance - and you will probably accept it because you are desperate.
    Originally posted by eddddy

Yep, go the conventional route first.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

273Posts Today

1,378Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin