Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KathF
    • By KathF 19th Apr 17, 7:11 PM
    • 113Posts
    • 261Thanks
    KathF
    Emergency SA Help Please
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:11 PM
    Emergency SA Help Please 19th Apr 17 at 7:11 PM
    HI im in a state of panic right now, i hired an accountant to do my first SA form, after sending all the details they have come to me and said that i cant claim work from home expenses as i dont have a room i use solely and wholly as an office, and not as anything else.

Yet i have read on the tax gov website that i can, they gave an example on there of someone using there living room during day as office, then it was a family room on evening, and it was worked down to a percentage use. Its made me feel the accountant is either just doing the easy option of saying £26 a month cos they cant be bothered working things out, or they are clueless, i sent the info to them and said they were wrong and i didnt have much faith in them now, that i would do it myself !

Now when i log into my SA account before hand i could see the accountants name in there, but now i cant find it any where. I emailed them after hours so i cant imagine they have removed themselves already? does anyone know what page that info would have been on as im going in circles and the site keeps logging me out too .

the accountant hasnt answered but i didnt expect them to until tomorrow, its just got me confused why i cant see them now within the account as my agent, . I was looking for a way of removing them but cant even do that as i cant find them

please anyone if you can direct where that indo is stored, what page etc? and to confirm they are indeed wrong saying because i use the lounge then i cant claim anything in expenses for working from home even though im working 7 days a week all hours from home.
    thanks in advance
    Kath
Page 1
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 19th Apr 17, 8:15 PM
    • 1,482 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:15 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:15 PM
    If you no longer want HMRC to have this accountant as someone they deal with regarding your tax then the simplest
    thing is to probably send a signed letter to HMRC advising them that this form no longer represents you and to remove them from your tax records.

You are more likely to get a response regarding the expenses if you had included details of what this claim is actually for, against business income or is it in respect of a PAYE job?
    • KathF
    • By KathF 19th Apr 17, 8:18 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    KathF
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:18 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:18 PM
    thankyou for the reply
    oh sorry i work from home as a self employed person, sole trader,
    will the accountant not just remove themselves? or would it be easier to just find another accountant that knows what they are doing
    im confused why i cant see the accoutant when i log into the SA account any more , i definitely saw them before when i was trying to get used to the account xx
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 19th Apr 17, 10:01 PM
    • 7,266 Posts
    • 12,111 Thanks
    dori2o
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:01 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:01 PM
    thankyou for the reply
    oh sorry i work from home as a self employed person, sole trader,
    will the accountant not just remove themselves? or would it be easier to just find another accountant that knows what they are doing
    im confused why i cant see the accoutant when i log into the SA account any more , i definitely saw them before when i was trying to get used to the account xx
    Originally posted by KathF
    You dont need to write. Just phone up and tell HMRC you no longer wish the agent to have authority to deal with your tax affairs.

The person you speak to will remove them from the records immediately.
    To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    • KathF
    • By KathF 19th Apr 17, 10:20 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    KathF
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:20 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:20 PM
    thanks guys
    does anyone know where it shows in the tax account the name of the agent? im just wondering it they have removed themselves already and thats why i cant find it, because last time it was hard to miss i just dont remember where it was xx
    • chrismac1
    • By chrismac1 20th Apr 17, 7:02 AM
    • 2,447 Posts
    • 1,442 Thanks
    chrismac1
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:02 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:02 AM
    When you appoint a new accountant they will apply to be agent and that will remove the existing ones. There's no need to worry. Note the HMRC database is pretty poor, I have no idea if the name of the agent should be shown. But what I can tell you is that if I were to list all the errors in the HMRC that I personally know about this will turn into the longest thread of 2017 by a wide margin.
    Hideous Muddles from Right Charlies
    • KathF
    • By KathF 20th Apr 17, 9:50 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    KathF
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:50 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:50 AM
    thankyou , its just driving me scatty cos i def saw it in there before and can i as heck find it now lol xx
    • jimmo
    • By jimmo 20th Apr 17, 11:03 PM
    • 1,856 Posts
    • 2,328 Thanks
    jimmo
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:03 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:03 PM
    Regarding your original post the example you seem to be looking for is example 4 here.
    https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/business-income-manual/bim47825
    Your accountant seems to be looking solely at the simplified expenses regime here.
    https://www.gov.uk/simpler-income-tax-simplified-expenses/working-from-home
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 21st Apr 17, 8:13 AM
    • 8,953 Posts
    • 16,128 Thanks
    Pennywise
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:13 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:13 AM
    Yet i have read on the tax gov website that i can, they gave an example on there of someone using there living room during day as office, then it was a family room on evening, and it was worked down to a percentage use. Its made me feel the accountant is either just doing the easy option of saying £26 a month cos they cant be bothered working things out, or they are clueless, i sent the info to them and said they were wrong and i didnt have much faith in them now, that i would do it myself !
    Originally posted by KathF
    Are you a sole trader or do you trade via your own limited company? Is your home rented or owned? Different rules for different scenarios. Also if a sole trader, different rules if you're using the simplified cash basis. Things aren't always as straight forward as they appear, especially with HMRC.

Just how much were you wanting to claim anyway? If you are able to go down the "apportionment" route, then you can only claim a "reasonable" amount for the additional costs of working from home, which usually includes a percentage of the space used compared with total space, and a percentage of the time used compared with total time. Apportionment is usually done on a room by room basis for a dedicated business room or on a space occupied basis for a joint use room so if you have a dedicated office, you may be able to argue to claim some fixed costs such as rent on the grounds you'd have rented a smaller place if you hadn't needed an office. Likewise if you use a table in the corner of your living room, it may not be "reasonable" to claim the space of the entire living room because you'd be needing a living room anyway, so the fact that you use it for business as well, doesn't mean the fixed costs are any higher, only the variable costs such as heat and light of that room whilst you're working compared with not heating/lighting it if you'd be working somewhere else.
    • KathF
    • By KathF 24th Apr 17, 10:30 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    KathF
    I am a sole trader, not a limited company and i dont sell items i sell services, i work full time from home literally seven days a week , 10hrs plus a day, put it this way I dont have a tv im literally working all the time
    but thanks for the help guys, i did find a calculator online for working out the ratio for bills, it turned out to be claiming 913 from total bills of around 8000 so its not too bad i think?
    also i submitted my return then had to amend cos i had included the bank interest in the total earnings not realising i was adding that twice cos i put that in the interest page. i did select cash basis, and i didnt do itemised expenses it give me option to do itemised or total so i did just do total cos i was stressing as it is
    it come up with no tax owed but NI owed but i cant find how to pay that NI. theres no pay here any where for that do i have to wait so long for tax man to update something then it will show an option to pay? thanks so much you guy have been far more helpful than the accountants. i had contacted a second one to help and they agreed i could claim expenses, they would only do a full package though not just tax return, id asked what they needed from me ie statments, receipts and then i never heard from them again !! so i just went ahead and tackled the tax return myself. so thankyou everyone for taking the time to help and guide me i really appreciate it xx
    Last edited by KathF; 24-04-2017 at 10:32 AM.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 24th Apr 17, 9:14 PM
    • 1,482 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    If the return is for 2016:17 then the amount due doesn't have to be paid until 31 January 2018 so no need to worry just yet!

Once you have submitted the return your self assessment account should be updated in the next few days.

Out of interest were you employed in the same tax year as you became self employed and if so did you include details of your employment on the return?
    • KathF
    • By KathF 24th Apr 17, 9:33 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    KathF
    thankyou i do like to pay stuff as soon as i can but thats me lol, and no wasnt working, house wife before that and no income
    but after cancelling the accountant and even finally getting confirmation they would remove themselves an my agent, would you believe that they actually sent me the tax return info to sign and return so they could submit it !! so not only did they still go ahead and work it out they sent me an invoice to pay for it and permission to enter it online. but to make matters worse all there figures were way off the mark, the total income was 1500 less than it should have been, the expenses were all wrong. they added there own fee on there too. but going on just my paypal fees paid and the fee i pay to the site i work on, there expenses was less than that, and that is without adding anything else like work from home costs. im quite concerned that they actually screwed it all up . if i went ahead with them and ever got audited my accounts wouldnt have even matched the tax return they would show up as being far more than declared. thats is seriously scary considering they do a lot of tax returns for people. im glad i went ahead and done it myself now. it just shows going down the route of hiring an accountant to be safe that your doing it right isnt even safe. i responded to them and asked why i was being sent it as they had confirmed they were taking themselves off as my agent, they apologised and said it was sent in error, well seriously thats bad practice and thats without actually getting all the figures wrong !! im so glad i found this forum though you guys have been a godsend so ty xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

811Posts Today

7,074Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin