Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 19th Apr 17, 6:49 PM
    • 8,343Posts
    • 47,649Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    Charged for roaming that we didn't use O2
    • 19th Apr 17, 6:49 PM
    Charged for roaming that we didn't use O2 19th Apr 17 at 6:49 PM
    My husband and myself have been on an extended holiday. We were overseas for 7 weeks on a cruise.

We both took our mobiles, and made sure that data roaming was turned off before we left. Apart from one text that I sent in Singapore, both of us never sent texts, didn't receive or make any calls and didn't turn on data roaming to access the Internet. We kept in touch with people by email and Twitter, accessing the ship's wifi network.

We are therefore suprised that we have both received bills for overseas roaming from O2. There are 40p charges for texts while we were on the ship and one for a day when we were in Fiji. There are also £4.99 O2 travel charges on some of the days we were in New Zealand and USA, although I also had a £4.99 charge on one day I was in Australia.

We have both been affected by this, and the pattern of charges is different. My charges amounted to £14.40 and my husband's charges were £37.33

Obviously, we both contacted O2, fully explaining the situation, and asking for a refund and also asked how this could have happened.

We've both had confirmation that the fees have been refunded, but the complaints have not been upheld as the charges are 'correct and valid'. They completely ignored our request for an explanation of how this could have happened

We've both emailed back to say that the charges can't be correct, as we simply haven't used our phones to incur the charges. Also, we again asked for an explanation.

We've both received a similar response - the charges are correct, and no other explanation is forthcoming. We feel stonewalled. We're going to continue with this to get a proper acknowledgement that something has gone wrong and how it could have happened. The response so far has been less than satisfactory.

However, I just wondered if anybody has any thoughts how we could have been charged, when we didn't send any text, make or receive calls or even turn data roaming on.

Thanks
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
Page 1
    • mchale
    • By mchale 19th Apr 17, 7:26 PM
    • 1,641 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    mchale
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:26 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:26 PM
    Do you have voicemail
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 19th Apr 17, 8:11 PM
    • 8,343 Posts
    • 47,649 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:11 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:11 PM
    We both have voicemail, but no calls went to voicemail and no messages were left. We've checked our call logs on the phones and there is no evidence of any calls inwards, and we didn't make any calls out
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 19th Apr 17, 8:29 PM
    • 4,210 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:29 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:29 PM
    What does your itemised bill tell you?
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 19th Apr 17, 9:23 PM
    • 8,343 Posts
    • 47,649 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:23 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:23 PM
    It gives dates for the purchase of £4.99 O2 travel - my husband has 7 of these and corresponds to days we were in New Zealand and USA. I only have two of these, one day in New Zealand and one day in Australia.

It also gives itemised charges of 40p, which is the cost of a text. I have 11 of these and the dates, times (varies from 2:50 to 20:25) and country codes are quoted . The country code is NOR. The dates tie up with sea days when I was connected to the ships Telenor Maritime network, which is based in Norway.

My husband has 6 of these 40p charges, again various times of the day. 5 of them have the NOR country code and tie up to sea days. The other has a FJI code, and the date ties up to the day we were in Fiji.

We were away for nearly 7 weeks, so these charges weren't happening every day. But we are absolutely certain that we didn't use the phones to incur these charges.
    • mrcamp
    • By mrcamp 20th Apr 17, 11:48 AM
    • 288 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    mrcamp
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:48 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:48 AM
    In order to be able to send a text you must have used the cellular network. Also, if you made or received a call, you must have used the cellular network. You can't do those on WiFi unless you did it via another app, such as whatsapp, VOIP app, etc. Sorry to say, but the charges are probably correct.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 20th Apr 17, 12:23 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    Ian011
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:23 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:23 PM
    Did you text each other while on board?

If the charges match up with where you actually were, the charges are likely correct. Something you did, even unknowingly, seems to have ended up being chargeable.
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 20th Apr 17, 1:00 PM
    • 2,967 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:00 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:00 PM
    A ship doesn't have an external phone line (obviously) to receive broadband. Could these charges be because of that and the service they use?
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 20th Apr 17, 2:20 PM
    • 8,343 Posts
    • 47,649 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    • 20th Apr 17, 2:20 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 2:20 PM
    In order to be able to send a text you must have used the cellular network. Also, if you made or received a call, you must have used the cellular network. You can't do those on WiFi unless you did it via another app, such as whatsapp, VOIP app, etc. Sorry to say, but the charges are probably correct.
    Originally posted by mrcamp

The only text either of us sent was me sending a text in Singapore on 11th February.

We did not make or receive any phone calls.

We also had data roaming switched off for the whole 7 weeks we were abroad so did not access the internet via the cellular network.

This is why I am disputing the charges because, apart from the one time in Singapore, we simply didn't use the phones in a way to be charged these roaming fees.
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 20th Apr 17, 2:21 PM
    • 8,343 Posts
    • 47,649 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    Did you text each other while on board?

If the charges match up with where you actually were, the charges are likely correct. Something you did, even unknowingly, seems to have ended up being chargeable.
    Originally posted by Ian011

No we did not text each other
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 20th Apr 17, 2:35 PM
    • 8,343 Posts
    • 47,649 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    A ship doesn't have an external phone line (obviously) to receive broadband. Could these charges be because of that and the service they use?
    Originally posted by oldagetraveller

The ships cellular network is provided by Telenor Maritime. We were connected to the service, but as already mentioned, never sent any texts, never made or received any phone calls, and never used the internet via this service.

The wifi network on board is provided by satellite. It's quite expensive, so we bought a 24 hour internet package once a week, to keep in touch at home by email and twitter.

However, the disputed O2 charges don't tie up with the times we were on wifi.

Also I think it's a bit of a red herring to 'blame' this on the ship, as I also had two £4.99 O2 Travel charges (once on a day in Australia, and once on a day in New Zealand). My husband had seven £4.99 charges. None in Australia, but 4 in New Zealand and 3 in the USA

We were away from 10th February to 29th March, and all these disputed charges are mostly in the last half of our holiday. But we weren't doing anything different, and had made no adjustments to our phones.
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 20th Apr 17, 2:37 PM
    • 8,343 Posts
    • 47,649 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    Thank you for the suggestions so far, I've answered them as best as I can. If anyone has any further thoughts I'd be very interested
    • miscy
    • By miscy 8th Oct 17, 3:00 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    miscy
    Thank you for the suggestions so far, I've answered them as best as I can. If anyone has any further thoughts I'd be very interested
    Originally posted by Goldiegirl
    This may be related to your issue but I notice it happened before July this year but worth checking all the same.

Just something else you and all other O2 Travel users should be aware of. It seems since the change in EU charges from July this year O2 upgraded their systems however made a massvie blunder at the same time. Anyone using O2 travel in non EU but inclusive O2 destinations (UAE, South Africa etc) are now being charged for RECEIVING calls as well. As you may know recieving calls in O2 travel destinations is free up to 120 minutes per day, and I used this without many issues for a year until this July when suddenly the 4.99 charge started appearing for each day even though I made no outgoing calls, sent any sms or used any data.

To add to their stupidity (and stress to me) when contacting O2 customer service, they would spend almost 30 mins arguing that the charges are correct, BECAUSE on their screen it actually shows that in those destinations the 4.99 charge will be triggered by "receieving calls" despite the official O2 website clearly showing to the contrary. After call number 6 I managed to get one of these "advisors" to scroll to their own website and see where they were going wrong (and the fact that I had been using it like that way for a year without any issue). They admitted they had the wrong info on their system and that they would raise the issue - no **** sherlock I said. Anyway the escalation never happened and long story short eventually after many more useless calls and online chats where I was not really getting anywhere I discovered Resolver. After only two days of loging my complaint via resolver I finally got a decent response.

I also now have charges credited back and a compensation amount, however the issue is still ongoing and I believe that its related to a system change during the EU charges change - possibly. I have a direct line to a Capita guy who will keep nulling any incorrect charges until O2 resolve the issue.

I believe many more people may have fallen victim to this and are not aware so I hope they can read this and take action if required. The O2 website O2 travel section clearly explains everything but sadly the O2 advisors are unaware, O2 service has really slipped over the last couple of years unfortunately.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 9th Oct 17, 6:57 AM
    • 7,622 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    pmduk

We also had data roaming switched off for the whole 7 weeks we were abroad so did not access the internet via the cellular network.
    Originally posted by Goldiegirl
    You don't just turn data roaming off, you turn off all mobile data. I suspect one of your apps has been phoning home as it were!
    • PHK
    • By PHK 9th Oct 17, 7:38 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    PHK
    Indeed, and if an iPhone then trying to send registration text messages .
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 9th Oct 17, 11:24 AM
    • 7,622 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    pmduk
    Something has just stirred in the depths of my memory; do you have and did you use any messaging apps such as whatsapp or imessaging? Both of these will default to sending via the native SMS app if they cannot use their normal methods of transmitting messages. They send messages via an overseas number so can generate international text message charges even if the message is intended solely within the UK. You might want to google the numbers the SMS messages were sent to to see whether this is the case.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,574Posts Today

8,131Users online

Martin's Twitter