Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • studiousowl
    • By studiousowl 19th Apr 17, 6:04 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    studiousowl
    PCN from CPP at Hospital
    • 19th Apr 17, 6:04 PM
    PCN from CPP at Hospital 19th Apr 17 at 6:04 PM
    Hello,

Earlier this month I received a PCN from CPP at St George's Hospital. I am a student there and have been parking on site in one of the many staff car parks for almost a year now. I did receive a PCN from them once before in March of last year which I paid.
    I have been reading this forum for a while now, and although the NEWBIE thread is very helpful, I do have a few questions:

1- I am technically in the wrong as I was parked in a restricted area without a valid permit. Can I still appeal?
    2- I understand that most appeals are rejected and go to POPLA. If the appeal to POPLA is lost what will the charge incurred be? At the moment, the amount due is £80 (£40 if paid within 14 days - it is currently still £40 although now on day 19). I am just worried as unfortunately the stereotype of broke student rings true here - and as much as I'd like to fight the system - I am worried that the currently barely affordable £40 may balloon up to something more unfortunate!

I'd really appreciate your help.
    Thanks!
Page 1
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 19th Apr 17, 6:27 PM
    • 45,046 Posts
    • 57,673 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 19th Apr 17, 6:27 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 6:27 PM
    1- technically in the wrong as THE DRIVER was parked in a restricted area without a valid permit. Can I still appeal?
    Yes, certainly, because that's not what the registered keeper is appealing about. The drive's name does NOT feature, nor do excuses.

2- I understand that most appeals are rejected and go to POPLA. If the appeal to POPLA is lost what will the charge incurred be? At the moment, the amount due is £80
    If the registered keeper (not saying who was driving) manages to lose at POPLA we will all eat our hats and you would be told by POPLA, merely wagging a finger, that you *should* pay the £80 (no discount bribe any more). But, the keeper still does NOT have to pay because POPLA is just an exercise for an appellant and is not binding like it is on the parking industry. And - we win!

Take that leap of faith with us! I have four student (Uni and college age) children and whilst only one of them drives I would have no hesistation in telling them to appeal this - so please listen to us! We know what we are doing.

It's Liberty Printers (AR &RF Reddin) Ltd T/A Liberty Services and The Car Parking Partnership who are easy to see off at POPLA and probably will forget to serve any valid Notice to Keeper (if at all).

I assume this was a windscreen PCN?
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• studiousowl
    • By studiousowl 19th Apr 17, 9:30 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    studiousowl
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:30 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:30 PM
    Yes this was a windscreen PCN. Okay, I will appeal as advised on the Newbie thread (day 26) and let you know how it goes. Prior to a friend telling me about these private parking companies, I had no idea that I was not obliged to pay these fines. They should teach us these things in school! Thanks again for your help!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 19th Apr 17, 9:33 PM
    • 45,046 Posts
    • 57,673 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:33 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:33 PM
    Thing is, if they taught you that in school they would have to cover so many different connotations - company, trade body, risk of being sued - and then things would change within a month!

At this point in time I can tell you this will be easy to win at POPLA.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• studiousowl
    • By studiousowl 19th Apr 17, 10:23 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    studiousowl
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:23 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:23 PM
    Awesome - thanks!
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 19th Apr 17, 11:25 PM
    • 3,492 Posts
    • 4,900 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:25 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:25 PM
    you should also complain to the hospital
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,290Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As I've said before - energy price cap sounds good, and will likely be popular, but there's a big risk of making th? https://t.co/ubeV9vnmU7

• Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Follow Martin