Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MK55
    • By MK55 19th Apr 17, 5:41 PM
    • 284Posts
    • 122Thanks
    MK55
    Salary advice
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:41 PM
    Salary advice 19th Apr 17 at 5:41 PM
    Hi,

Looking for some advice around my salary and what I should do next.

I’ve recently secured a new role in work, lets call it a band B, I was already a band B in my old role but this one has more responsibility and remit. 2 of the people on the team have a salary of £33-34k mine is £30k. They both started the role on 32k but have had increases over 2-3 year period.

On securing the job, I asked about salary but was advised it would be reviewed in April due to company pay review.

I accepted this but now I have been advised that there is no increase for side to side movement. My manager recognised there was a substantial difference but has today been told by their senior manager that there is no side to side increase.

At first I thought I could accept this, but today I’ve found out another person who was recruited at the same time was a band A and is moving to a band B for the first time (I have 3 years experience in band B) has been given a 10% salary increase as they are moving from a lower band to a higher band and this takes their salary to £31,800. £1,800 above my own salary.

My manager has been fantastic, and I really believe she’s done everything she can and has now said it’s down to me what I do. What I think she means is whether I raise a grievance or whether I let it go.

I wanted to understand your views on whether you think a £3,000 pay gap at starting wage, or a £1,800 pay gap between a less experienced now peer is unfair and whether I should look at the next stage?

Look forward to hearing your advice.
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 19th Apr 17, 6:16 PM
    • 4,278 Posts
    • 8,425 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 19th Apr 17, 6:16 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 6:16 PM
    Unless the pay differs because of a protected characteristic then there's nothing you can really do, except have a moan.

Sounds like the second (irrelevant) person is quite high in band A as they must be on close to 30k if a 10% raise takes them to £31,800. You are, I assumed, at the low end of Band B despite three years exp.

They are moving up a band. You are not. Clearly they think they are worth £1.8k more than you.

Whether you're happy with this is up to you.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • Planet Switzerland
    • By Planet Switzerland 19th Apr 17, 7:44 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Planet Switzerland
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:44 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:44 PM
    Agree it does sound unfair, sounds a bit like a previous company I worked for, the people who worked their way up always got much less than people coming in from the outside.

It won't hurt you to keep pushing for a pay rise, but the best thing to do is put the experience you're getting from this role down on your CV and leave.
    • MK55
    • By MK55 19th Apr 17, 9:33 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    MK55
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:33 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:33 PM
    Hi both,

Thank you for your response. I will speak to my manager tomorrow and if not speak with my feet, I just can't see past it so I think I'm better off finding something else.

Thank you
    • goatfertility
    • By goatfertility 19th Apr 17, 11:02 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    goatfertility
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:02 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:02 PM
    2k difference? Honestly, I'd be SOOOO grateful for just £26-28k.....with so many of us (millions) on minimum wage-ish, and so many unemployed you should probably just be happy you're making that sort of money at all. It's so far beyond the dreams of myself (and so many I know) who graft day in day out....for years.
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 20th Apr 17, 12:03 AM
    • 409 Posts
    • 661 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:03 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:03 AM
    goatfertility, different jobs have different pay, responsibilities etc.

I wouldn't be happy doing the same job as somebody else for less money. If you have the same experience and bring sufficient skills, then that's not on. If you don't have all skills, then it may be justifiable. The Band A person may have been going above and beyond, so that's someone to remove from consideration.

If it doesn't sit right and you currently have a job so you aren't against any time pressure, then don't accept.
    Good luck
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
    • paddedjohn
    • By paddedjohn 20th Apr 17, 12:09 AM
    • 6,981 Posts
    • 7,663 Thanks
    paddedjohn
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:09 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:09 AM
    Ask to go back to your old role with less responsibility for the same wage
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 20th Apr 17, 7:14 AM
    • 28,003 Posts
    • 16,786 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:14 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:14 AM
    depending on how you get on with your manager some hints you are seriously not happy with this may be an idea,
    I only got the job because I was cheap,
    what you want me to leave,
    you clearly don't value me,

the error was accepting the job without knowing the pay, that was the time to hold out for the pay you wanted.

On securing the job, I asked about salary but was advised it would be reviewed in April due to company pay review.
    I said
    I accepted this I will wait till April then.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 20th Apr 17, 9:54 AM
    • 1,292 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:54 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:54 AM
    It might be unfair. It doesn't matter. It might be unfair in your favour...they might be worth more than 2k more than you are. Might be less.

Unless this is the public sector all that matters is are you going to leave if they don't pay you more. if the answer is no, they won't pay you more. If the answer if yes, they will pay you more if they think you are worth it.
    • tykesi
    • By tykesi 20th Apr 17, 9:58 AM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 2,047 Thanks
    tykesi
    2k difference? Honestly, I'd be SOOOO grateful for just £26-28k.....with so many of us (millions) on minimum wage-ish, and so many unemployed you should probably just be happy you're making that sort of money at all. It's so far beyond the dreams of myself (and so many I know) who graft day in day out....for years.
    Originally posted by goatfertility
    Careful you don't choke on that bitter pill, it's obviously quite hard to swallow.
    £2017 in 2017 - £1356.14
    • enjoyyourshoes
    • By enjoyyourshoes 20th Apr 17, 9:58 AM
    • 679 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    enjoyyourshoes
    Start getting your CV and supporting letter together and start the enjoyable process of looking for a new job.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
    • Tiddlywinks
    • By Tiddlywinks 20th Apr 17, 10:11 AM
    • 5,211 Posts
    • 17,642 Thanks
    Tiddlywinks
    depending on how you get on with your manager some hints you are seriously not happy with this may be an idea,
    I only got the job because I was cheap,
    what you want me to leave,
    you clearly don't value me,
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    This passive / aggressive approach would be a tad unprofessional and childish.

The OP has said the manager has no control over salary allocation / pay rises so why make her life more difficult by making digs about something outside of her remit?

It'll only serve to sour the working relationship.

It's a simple choice - accept the role and the salary and enjoy the change and use it to raise your profile or look elsewhere for something that pays more (but with the risk of two years of reduced employment 'protection').
    • cook0891
    • By cook0891 20th Apr 17, 11:47 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    cook0891
    Are you in a union, could they help?
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 20th Apr 17, 4:31 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    It might be unfair. It doesn't matter. It might be unfair in your favour...they might be worth more than 2k more than you are. Might be less.

Unless this is the public sector all that matters is are you going to leave if they don't pay you more. if the answer is no, they won't pay you more. If the answer if yes, they will pay you more if they think you are worth it.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser

I agree with this. When you start comparing salaries in the private sector there are lots of different factors to consider and you may not be aware of all the relevant ones in this situation. And assuming it is private sector, how do you "know" what the others get paid?
    • goatfertility
    • By goatfertility 20th Apr 17, 7:52 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    goatfertility
    Careful you don't choke on that bitter pill, it's obviously quite hard to swallow.
    Originally posted by tykesi
    The only pills being swallowed is OP's one. And it clearly says 'humble brag' on it so well done for swallowing it.

I'm anticipating the OP's next thread will be some salty tears over a 67 plate Porshe being 'just' out of reach. I know I, for one will be weeping a river for them behind my battered old Focus....
    Last edited by goatfertility; 20-04-2017 at 7:55 PM.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 20th Apr 17, 9:29 PM
    • 4,278 Posts
    • 8,425 Thanks
    marliepanda
    The only pills being swallowed is OP's one. And it clearly says 'humble brag' on it so well done for swallowing it.

I'm anticipating the OP's next thread will be some salty tears over a 67 plate Porshe being 'just' out of reach. I know I, for one will be weeping a river for them behind my battered old Focus....
    Not being rude but no one is 'bragging' about a 30k salary.

26k is the UK average, it's barely above it.

Just because you're clearly on a low wage doesn't mean everyone on more than you is humble bragging.

If you think the only thing between you and a brand new Porsche is a few k more on your salary you'd be sadly mistake...
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • gettingready
    • By gettingready 21st Apr 17, 2:53 AM
    • 10,771 Posts
    • 16,153 Thanks
    gettingready

Then perhaps make some effort to get to that level of pay?
    People in well paid jobs usually invested a lot into their lives - both time and effort.
    Most people in NMW jobs do not have qualifications/experience to get jobs that pay more so no point comparing those to the OP's salary or to unemployment.
    Not that 30k job is an unusually well paid job as someone already mentioned above.
    Rather than being bitter and sarcastic and unhelpful - concentrate on improving your own prospects maybe?
    Last edited by gettingready; 21-04-2017 at 3:18 AM.
    • lazer-zxr
    • By lazer-zxr 21st Apr 17, 8:18 AM
    • 359 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    lazer-zxr
    I understand your view point, interestingly from the side of your higher paid colleague. For my employer in the private sector, myself and one other colleague do exactly the same job. I am paid £59k, she is paid £52k. I feel uncomfortable about this, and though obviously I don't want a pay cut, I raised this with a member of senior management during a road trip. I was advised that, it all came down to how we negotiated in interviews. If she was happy to settle on the £52k, then that is what her contract is and the company were happy to agree it. I however wanted the £59k, so that's what the company pay me. Now it maybe that the company value both of us at £70k, for example, however during our contract negotiations, and considering our self worth, we settled on the £52k and £59k. And so, individually, we are content with that (infact I know my colleague thinks she is over paid). I think the time and place to get this sorted was at the interview stage. Agreeing to stay on the same salary and discuss it at a later date (in April), may mean you missed your chance to set out your remuneration expectations for the new role?
    DFWB £55555 of £59353 repaid. LBM feb15
    MFWB On hold due to low int rates
    • tykesi
    • By tykesi 21st Apr 17, 9:45 AM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 2,047 Thanks
    tykesi

So blinded by your jealousy you can't even recognise your own bitterness.

Ever thought that people on higher salaries might actually deserve it for all their hard work over the years?

People on NMW are usually there for a reason, that reason and the words hard work don't usually go hand in hand.
    £2017 in 2017 - £1356.14
    • gettingready
    • By gettingready 21st Apr 17, 9:52 AM
    • 10,771 Posts
    • 16,153 Thanks
    gettingready
    I understand your view point, interestingly from the side of your higher paid colleague. For my employer in the private sector, myself and one other colleague do exactly the same job. I am paid £59k, she is paid £52k. I feel uncomfortable about this, and though obviously I don't want a pay cut, I raised this with a member of senior management during a road trip. I was advised that, it all came down to how we negotiated in interviews. If she was happy to settle on the £52k, then that is what her contract is and the company were happy to agree it. I however wanted the £59k, so that's what the company pay me. Now it maybe that the company value both of us at £70k, for example, however during our contract negotiations, and considering our self worth, we settled on the £52k and £59k. And so, individually, we are content with that (infact I know my colleague thinks she is over paid). I think the time and place to get this sorted was at the interview stage. Agreeing to stay on the same salary and discuss it at a later date (in April), may mean you missed your chance to set out your remuneration expectations for the new role?
    Originally posted by lazer-zxr
    Exactly that.

On one of my contracts, there was 5 of us and daily rate varied between £200 and £300 per day for exactly the same job and that was precisely due to negotiations before signing the contract.

Perhaps something to keep in mind for the future?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,725Posts Today

8,652Users online

Martin's Twitter