Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • maddogwhite
    • By maddogwhite 19th Apr 17, 5:05 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    maddogwhite
    Recived a county court claim form lowell solicitors for Aqua credit card now what.
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:05 PM
    Recived a county court claim form lowell solicitors for Aqua credit card now what. 19th Apr 17 at 5:05 PM
    Hi I have received a county court claim form taken out by lowell solicitors. The dept was for a aqua credit card a year ago and I have since lost my job and having to claim jobseekers.
    Do I have to go online and dispute the claim and send some type of form to Lowell solicitors.
    I am not very good at understanding things like this.
    The court claim form is dated 12th of April.
    Thank you
    Andrew
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 19th Apr 17, 5:21 PM
    • 11,514 Posts
    • 11,107 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:21 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:21 PM
    Hi,

Yes, strict time scales apply here.

Visit Legal Beagles for help on how to deal with Lowell :

http://legalbeagles.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?105-Received-a-Court-Claim
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
  • National Debtline
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:25 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:25 PM
    Hi

If you’re thinking about disputing the claim it’s a good idea to respond with the Acknowledgement of Service for now. It gives you an extra 14 days to seek legal advice.

This factsheet gives you an overview of the court process:

www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/replyingtoacountycourtclaim/replyingtoaccj.aspx

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 19th Apr 17, 8:43 PM
    • 11,054 Posts
    • 8,246 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:43 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:43 PM
    Those two links are the important ones.

Exploring a bit further do you have other debts or just this one?
    • maddogwhite
    • By maddogwhite 20th Apr 17, 12:00 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    maddogwhite
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:00 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:00 AM
    Those two links are the important ones.

Exploring a bit further do you have other debts or just this one?
    Originally posted by fatbelly
    I have 5 credit cards owning 10k in total.
    • Arleen
    • By Arleen 20th Apr 17, 1:01 AM
    • 924 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    Arleen
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:01 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:01 AM
    Do you have any defense to the claim? If not then your best bet is to admit that you owe the money, explain that you have no income and offer to get on a payment plan when you find employment. This may at least save you some of the court costs.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 20th Apr 17, 6:06 AM
    • 11,054 Posts
    • 8,246 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:06 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:06 AM
    I have 5 credit cards owning 10k in total.
    Originally posted by maddogwhite
    LegalBeagles will help you engage with Lowell to see if you have a defence.

Often the paperwork is defective and you can at least slow things down and get a hearing. You will see lots of Lowell threads on that site.

Legal costs are already in the mix and, if the claim goes further, this should be a small claims procedure where each side bears its own costs.

However...maybe now is the time to look at an overall strategy for your debts and I wonder if a debt relief order would suit you

Basic Criteria for a debt relief order :
    • Must not be a homeowner,
    • Debts less than £20,000,
    • Can have a car worth up to £1000,
    • No other assets of more than £1000,
    • Must have £50 or less left at month end, after all essential payments have been made (not inc debt repayments),
    • Cannot have had a DRO in last 6 years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,528Posts Today

7,884Users online

Martin's Twitter