Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floozie
    • By Floozie 19th Apr 17, 4:38 PM
    • 230Posts
    • 212Thanks
    Floozie
    Painting slatted chairs-hating it so far!!!
    • 19th Apr 17, 4:38 PM
    Painting slatted chairs-hating it so far!!! 19th Apr 17 at 4:38 PM
    I avoid painting at all costs but fool that I am have decided that our outdoor slatted chairs need repainting so I am trying to do them properly. I have sanded them as best I can and have started to put on a primer/undercoat. However I am finding a problem with the paintbrushes I am using in that after a while of putting on the undercoat they the bristles seem to go crunchy and the undercoat does not seem to go on as smooth and looks grainy. I am now worried that when I start to put on the paint after doing the undercoating it will not look very smooth.
    To all you painting experts do you do your painting a certain amount of time and then stop before the paint bristles start to dry so that you have a nice smooth base coat or do you continue in the knowledge that the paint could cover any imperfections?
    Hope this makes sense.
Page 1
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 19th Apr 17, 5:03 PM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 1,078 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:03 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:03 PM
    if you avoid overloading the brush, it helps. Water-based paints can be a bit of a nightmare, but I am normally ok if I stop to wash the brush off every hour.

Paint will rarely cover imperfections - that's where sanding between coats comes into play.
    Last edited by Grenage; 19-04-2017 at 5:05 PM.
    • Kiran
    • By Kiran 20th Apr 17, 6:24 AM
    • 1,109 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    Kiran
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:24 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:24 AM
    Try an HVLP sprayer, you still need to do the Oreo work sanding it all down but it avoids brush marks. The best method is to spray lots of thin coats. Screwfix had an erbauer unit for under £40
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
    • Cats are great
    • By Cats are great 24th Apr 17, 11:09 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Cats are great
    • 24th Apr 17, 11:09 AM
    • 24th Apr 17, 11:09 AM
    What sort of brushes are you using? If the paint is water based a synthetic brush is advised as they allow the paint to flow better. Genuine bristle brushes are best for oil based paint.

I had some old cream chairs in my garden, they had really thin back rests, the thought of painting them was too much haha, I bought spray paint which may cost more but you get a good coverage in all nooks and crannies and it's difficult to apply too much paint.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

328Posts Today

3,225Users online

Martin's Twitter