Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • maxmycardagain
    • By maxmycardagain 19th Apr 17, 4:35 PM
    • 4,355Posts
    • 3,670Thanks
    maxmycardagain
    Universal credit
    • 19th Apr 17, 4:35 PM
    Universal credit 19th Apr 17 at 4:35 PM
    In what increment is UC paid? day/week/month?

My son signed on, he is in a HMO and pays £110/week (more later)

He got £56/week after 7 days "waiting" (week in hand?) and got 1 months money but 3 weeks into his 2nd month he found a job, hes been told he shouldnt expect 3 weeks money!

Rent............. after 5 weeks and lost paperwork they accepted his claim and granted him......£86.........a month!

Because?...........hes under 30 and in a high fraud risk situation or area...
    Instead of picking fault, pick up a life........ you might like it
Page 1
    • maxmycardagain
    • By maxmycardagain 20th Apr 17, 11:06 AM
    • 4,355 Posts
    • 3,670 Thanks
    maxmycardagain
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:06 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:06 AM
    157 views.......no replies

how strange..............
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 20th Apr 17, 11:18 AM
    • 4,560 Posts
    • 9,182 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:18 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:18 AM
    In what increment is UC paid? day/week/month?

My son signed on, he is in a HMO and pays £110/week (more later)

He got £56/week after 7 days "waiting" (week in hand?) and got 1 months money but 3 weeks into his 2nd month he found a job, hes been told he shouldnt expect 3 weeks money!

Rent............. after 5 weeks and lost paperwork they accepted his claim and granted him......£86.........a month!

Because?...........hes under 30 and in a high fraud risk situation or area...
    Originally posted by maxmycardagain
    Your post doesn't make a lot of sense which is probably why people have steered clear.

I'll answer what I can. It is not a week in hand. It is 7 days unpaid.

UC is paid based on a monthly income. It's different to JSA. If he got a job in week 3 of his second month his income may be above the UC threshold.

UC will be paid to top up his monthly money to the UC amount, or, if his wages are higher, he will get no UC.

He is working now, so what is wrong with £86 a month? He's only entitled to the shared room rate as he's under 30. Not sure what you mean by a high fraud risk situation, but amounts are awarde on circumstances, not 'risks'
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • maxmycardagain
    • By maxmycardagain 21st Apr 17, 8:39 PM
    • 4,355 Posts
    • 3,670 Thanks
    maxmycardagain
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:39 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:39 PM
    Your post doesn't make a lot of sense which is probably why people have steered clear.

I'll answer what I can. It is not a week in hand. It is 7 days unpaid.

UC is paid based on a monthly income. It's different to JSA. If he got a job in week 3 of his second month his income may be above the UC threshold.

UC will be paid to top up his monthly money to the UC amount, or, if his wages are higher, he will get no UC.

He is working now, so what is wrong with £86 a month? He's only entitled to the shared room rate as he's under 30. Not sure what you mean by a high fraud risk situation, but amounts are awarde on circumstances, not 'risks'
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    He got ONLY £86 for his rent...........or £20/week when his rent was £110, does that seem fair?

And by taking a job 3 weeks into his 2nd months UC claim they have dodged paying hin 3 x £56/week...

No wonder people a) fiddle and b) avoid taking a job
    • maxmycardagain
    • By maxmycardagain 21st Apr 17, 8:40 PM
    • 4,355 Posts
    • 3,670 Thanks
    maxmycardagain
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:40 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:40 PM
    UC told him he was 3 weeks "in credit" should he have to claim again!
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 21st Apr 17, 8:54 PM
    • 4,560 Posts
    • 9,182 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:54 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:54 PM
    He got ONLY £86 for his rent...........or £20/week when his rent was £110, does that seem fair?

And by taking a job 3 weeks into his 2nd months UC claim they have dodged paying hin 3 x £56/week...

No wonder people a) fiddle and b) avoid taking a job
    Well I have no idea of his rent or his local housing allowance for a room. £110 is probably above a shared room rate. £20 could indeed be fair. He is also earning money... I don't know his wages either

UC is Not £56 a week, it's a monthly payment.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 26-04-2017 at 10:53 AM.
    • jmaow
    • By jmaow 21st Apr 17, 11:57 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jmaow
    • 21st Apr 17, 11:57 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 11:57 PM
    You need to look on your local councils allowance for housing, the under 30 and single rate is low, UC will have looked at his earnings from his employer during his assessment period and deducted this from his benefit of £317.82 per month plus housing element award. It's a monthly paid benefit as the gov want people to develop budgeting skills as when you are employed you are paid monthly.
    • theronstar
    • By theronstar 23rd Apr 17, 11:01 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    theronstar
    • 23rd Apr 17, 11:01 PM
    • 23rd Apr 17, 11:01 PM
    I struggled to follow the thread.

Can you call the Universal Credit helpline and ask them to help you figure out the amounts?
    • ChrisDA95
    • By ChrisDA95 26th Apr 17, 12:11 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ChrisDA95
    • 26th Apr 17, 12:11 AM
    • 26th Apr 17, 12:11 AM
    Thank god it isn't just me who is struggling to read this thread, it feels like I am reading French.
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 26th Apr 17, 12:17 AM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 708 Thanks
    Mersey
    UC told him he was 3 weeks "in credit" should he have to claim again!

This makes sense - but the previous post (that they deducted 3 weeks' worth of UC £ doesn't ie both can't be true)

Any earned income from employment is used to calculate the following month's UC payment.

The rent figure doesn't sound right at all - so it's worth asking the DWP to check that. He can raise a complaint via the UC national contact centres over the 'phone if he believes it was miscalculated.

Although from what you have said any £ owed re the housing element of UC may be cancelled out by the overpayment re earnings.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 26th Apr 17, 10:21 AM
    • 2,429 Posts
    • 1,599 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Congratulate your son on getting a job and forget about all this "free money" nonsense
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 26th Apr 17, 10:27 AM
    • 4,560 Posts
    • 9,182 Thanks
    marliepanda
    This makes sense - but the previous post (that they deducted 3 weeks' worth of UC £ doesn't ie both can't be true)

Any earned income from employment is used to calculate the following month's UC payment.

The rent figure doesn't sound right at all - so it's worth asking the DWP to check that. He can raise a complaint via the UC national contact centres over the 'phone if he believes it was miscalculated.

Although from what you have said any £ owed re the housing element of UC may be cancelled out by the overpayment re earnings.
    Originally posted by Mersey
    How can you say the rent figure sounds wrong when you don't know the sons income?
    • ChrisDA95
    • By ChrisDA95 26th Apr 17, 11:12 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ChrisDA95
    How can you say the rent figure sounds wrong when you don't know the sons income?
    I could it be wrong, but the rent figure is most likely the shared accommodation rate. There was a recent change in HB where new claimants under 30 could only get the lowest rate that the local authority awards.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 26th Apr 17, 11:14 AM
    • 4,560 Posts
    • 9,182 Thanks
    marliepanda
    I could it be wrong, but the rent figure is most likely the shared accommodation rate. There was a recent change in HB where new claimants under 30 could only get the lowest rate that the local authority awards.
    Originally posted by ChrisDA95
    Agreed. However it is based on income, and is tapered. So you could potentially get £1 a week help if your income was near the threshold.

We can't judge if £20 a week is fair or not based on the info provided
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 26th Apr 17, 11:17 AM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 3,684 Thanks
    Penitent
    It's 35. Under 35s get the shared rate, 35+ get the 1 bed rate.
    • ChrisDA95
    • By ChrisDA95 26th Apr 17, 11:17 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ChrisDA95
    Agreed. However it is based on income, and is tapered. So you could potentially get £1 a week help if your income was near the threshold.

We can't judge if £20 a week is fair or not based on the info provided
    I'm not making any judgements about whether it is fair, just simply stating that the reason the full rent isn't being covered is due to changes in housing benefit for under-30s. .
    • ChrisDA95
    • By ChrisDA95 26th Apr 17, 11:25 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ChrisDA95
    It's 35. Under 35s get the shared rate, 35+ get the 1 bed rate.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    I stand corrected. I don't know too much about it myself, I believe my local authority and local JC are still in the middle of phasing UC in. .
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 26th Apr 17, 11:31 AM
    • 4,560 Posts
    • 9,182 Thanks
    marliepanda
    I'm not making any judgements about whether it is fair, just simply stating that the reason the full rent isn't being covered is due to changes in housing benefit for under-30s. .
    Agreed, however, I doubt any shared rates are as low as £20 a week, so there's certainly an income related element on it as well.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,536Posts Today

9,244Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin