Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pbsmiles
    • By pbsmiles 19th Apr 17, 4:16 PM
    • 58Posts
    • 36Thanks
    pbsmiles
    Question for Landlord?
    • 19th Apr 17, 4:16 PM
    Question for Landlord? 19th Apr 17 at 4:16 PM
    Hi

I have found myself a property to rent which is vacant from 28th April. My issue is that I am currently in my own house and although it is sold and everything is with solicitors last May is probably going to be the earliest that I can complete.

As a Landlord would you accept a months rent to secure the rental of the property without an actual contract being signed?

As I cannot 100% commit until my completion and don't have the money to put rent long term until this point is this an acceptable suggestion as not to lose the house??

To be fair I am not getting pressure from the landlord but I am sure they wouldn't wish to have the house empty making no money as I know I wouldn't want that to happen.

Thoughts please.
Page 1
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 19th Apr 17, 4:36 PM
    • 2,084 Posts
    • 2,619 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 19th Apr 17, 4:36 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 4:36 PM
    Not for one of our houses. You would have to sign the contract to rent it. When you moved in would be up to you. We don't have a problem letting any of our houses they don't become available very often and when they do there are usually several interested people to choose from. We wouldn't choose someone who wasn't sure if they would be moving in as there would be other people who would be sure.
    • pbsmiles
    • By pbsmiles 20th Apr 17, 9:11 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    pbsmiles
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:11 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:11 AM
    Not for one of our houses. You would have to sign the contract to rent it. When you moved in would be up to you. We don't have a problem letting any of our houses they don't become available very often and when they do there are usually several interested people to choose from. We wouldn't choose someone who wasn't sure if they would be moving in as there would be other people who would be sure.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    Hi thanks for reply, its not that I am unsure whether I would be moving in, its just because I can't confirm my completion date on my house as yet, i want the house.
    • fishpond
    • By fishpond 20th Apr 17, 9:21 AM
    • 914 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    fishpond
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:21 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:21 AM
    Same as CG
    I am a LandLord, so there!
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 20th Apr 17, 10:12 AM
    • 303 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    saajan_12
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:12 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:12 AM
    It depends on how the rental market is in that area / for that type of property.
    Remember if there were other interested parties, the LL would be able to collect rent for the vacant period as well the commitment to 6-12 months often, so you offering rent early is unlikely to be enough.
    Also if you pay a holding deposit, agree in writing how long that applies and what happens if the LL pulls out early. Ofcourse the LL won't hold it forever but if they can pull out by just returning your money then they essentially have a free option and you haven't reserved anything.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,917Posts Today

5,940Users online

Martin's Twitter