Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 19th Apr 17, 3:48 PM
    • 2,917Posts
    • 5,025Thanks
    Fosterdog
    And then there was one
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:48 PM
    And then there was one 19th Apr 17 at 3:48 PM
    We lost my old boy last night

Although he has had arthritis in hips, knees, elbows and spine plus hip and elbow dysplasia we had been managing his pain for the last few years, he hasn't been able to do much more than hobble about for a while. We fully expected to have him PTS when the time came that he was loosing quality of life, he was originally a foster from a serious abuse case and once bonded we couldn't let him go so we adopted him. He was around 12-13 years old but we have only had him for a little over 5 years.

It's been a shock to the system because I got home from work yesterday to find him not himself at all, almost like he was spaced out and just not with it, he turned down food which is unheard of. I was thinking along the lines of a stroke or possibly coming around from a siezure but because I wasn't at home I couldn't be sure. Off to the vet we went, not easy with 43kg of dog who can't hold himself up, I expected them to just let him go peacefully but instead the vet thought he appeared to be more in pain than anything neurological so gave him morphine and sent him home with some other painkillers to try for a few days and to take him back on Friday to re-evaluate his current pain meds. Unfortunately either it was neurological or he had a reaction to the morphine because he slipped away around 9pm last night.

I am devastated, we moved him to another room for the night until we could bury him today and first thing this morning my young girl went up to him and kept trying to nudge him awake before curling up next to him and grooming his face. It was heartbreaking to watch.

I really am at a loss with what to do with myself now, the house feels empty without him and it's only been a year since we lost our old girl and losing him has just come too soon.

There was no other point to the post other than to get it off my chest. Rest in peace my big beautiful boy, you have left a big hole in my heart

Edited: This was meant for the pet board but I obviously put it in the wrong place, sorry
    Last edited by Fosterdog; 19-04-2017 at 3:50 PM.
Page 1
    • katglasgow
    • By katglasgow 19th Apr 17, 3:53 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    katglasgow
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:53 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:53 PM
    Big hugs to you. It sounds like you made a massive difference to his life and made him a very happy boy in his later years what a lovely thing to have done x
    Me debt free thanks to MSE
    • Diary
    • By Diary 19th Apr 17, 4:01 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    Diary
    • 19th Apr 17, 4:01 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 4:01 PM
    Heart breaking news, I'm so sorry. He was a lucky big guy to have you. All my best to you all.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 19th Apr 17, 4:08 PM
    • 7,470 Posts
    • 25,207 Thanks
    Primrose
    • 19th Apr 17, 4:08 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 4:08 PM
    Well of course our pets are loved as much as our other family members. They have a special place in our hearts because we have to use other means to communicate with them so that in itself makes for unique relationships.
    All at can say, having been down this route, is to go with your grief. If his death has made you sensitive to the benefits of life and the inevitability of mortality, that too is a gift in its own way and made you more of a feeling human being. His time had come. You cared for him as best you could at the end. Nobody can do more than that.
    • Art Deco
    • By Art Deco 19th Apr 17, 4:17 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    Art Deco
    • 19th Apr 17, 4:17 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 4:17 PM
    So sorry for your loss , its always hard losing a loved pet ,try to take comfort in the knowledge that you gave him so much love for his final few years and he will be out of pain now, time is a great healer, soon you will be able to think of him and smile not cry.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Apr 17, 4:28 PM
    • 16,582 Posts
    • 41,578 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 19th Apr 17, 4:28 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 4:28 PM
    Think of the good times.
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 19th Apr 17, 4:43 PM
    • 6,191 Posts
    • 19,682 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    • 19th Apr 17, 4:43 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 4:43 PM
    Yeah, been there too, a couple of times over the last 2ish years. It's heartbreaking.

You gave him a loving, safe home. Let the tears flow, and eventually, you'll be able to smile when you remember him.

(((hugs)))
    • Skintmama
    • By Skintmama 19th Apr 17, 5:17 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 1,180 Thanks
    Skintmama
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:17 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:17 PM
    So sorry, it is a heartbreaking time and one where we don't usually get much notice, or time, in which to adapt to our dog's sudden decline in health. My dog is elderly so I am very touched by your situation. Take care of yourself.
    GC March £100/£100 GC April £140.47/£150
    GC May £150.16/£150 GC June £131.35/£200
    • London50
    • By London50 19th Apr 17, 5:38 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 1,389 Thanks
    London50
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:38 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:38 PM
    So sorry for your loss, they start off as pets but soon become a family member and the end is a hard thing for anyone to handle.
    As others have said remember the good times and know that you and yours gave him a loving life and he will always be in your thoughts.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 19th Apr 17, 8:56 PM
    • 1,167 Posts
    • 2,808 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    So sorry for your loss, he was clearly a huge part of the family and how fantastic that he got his second chance with you.

Fantastic too, in a way, that he got to slip away gently, in his own home, with his loved family close by, free of pain. I hope that can provide some small comfort in the rough days ahead, as that's probably how most of us would choose to go.
    • catkins
    • By catkins 20th Apr 17, 5:03 PM
    • 5,370 Posts
    • 11,179 Thanks
    catkins
    So sorry for the loss of your pet. I know only too well how upsetting it is. Not easy I know but try to think of the good times and the fact that you gave him a happy and loving home after his awful start in life
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
    • swingaloo
    • By swingaloo 20th Apr 17, 6:47 PM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 3,040 Thanks
    swingaloo
    So sorry for your loss.

We got a dog just over 12 months ago. The lady who had him just couldn't manage as he was so boisterous.

She was really sad to part with him and so since we took him I have written to her twice with photos to update her and let her know he is well.

Last time I wrote she sent me a reply which said 'Thank you for giving him the life he deserves'. Ive never been so touched by a few words.

That's exactly what you did for your dog and you cant do any more than that. Remember him with love.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 21st Apr 17, 2:25 AM
    • 22,348 Posts
    • 85,430 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Aww, he got respite from pain and then to go to sleep in familiar and safe surroundings and then just not wake up.

Doesn't stop it hurting, but I think that's the best anyone could hope for.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 21st Apr 17, 6:17 AM
    • 7,446 Posts
    • 16,347 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    Lots of love and cuddles, Fosterdog. Run free on Rainbow Bridge, little furbaby.

HBS x
    Last edited by heartbreak_star; 21-04-2017 at 10:41 AM.
    I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.

#JC4PM
    • Threebabes
    • By Threebabes 21st Apr 17, 10:32 AM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    Threebabes
    So sorry for your news.

Hang on to the happy memories X
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 21st Apr 17, 10:41 AM
    • 2,810 Posts
    • 11,760 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    So sorry to hear your sad news. Our dogs have a way of working themselves into the most hardened of hearts and having our boy PTS 4 years ago still upsets me terribly now.
    £960/3000 OH BC(68% PAID)
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x2, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Debt: £960/31010.23 (96.90% paid)
    Mortgage - £163,450.00 (2017 O/P £1213.91) PAYDBX 17 #006 - £14789.69/14,539.71Make £10 Apr £194.58 Make £10 May £159.75 Make £10 June £245.11
    • room512
    • By room512 21st Apr 17, 1:51 PM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 2,211 Thanks
    room512
    So sorry for your loss. As others have said, he had a lovely life with you and got to go to sleep in a place known to him where he felt safe and loved xxx
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 21st Apr 17, 6:08 PM
    • 1,495 Posts
    • 2,234 Thanks
    Robisere
    Reminded me of all the dogs (and one absolutely bonkers cat) that we had in the family, each one broke my heart every time they passed away. From the very first that I grew up with, Chummy slept under my pram, 9 steps and 50 yards below the house. He defended that pram with his life, dad apparently had to put a large note on the pram, "DO NOT GO NEAR THE PRAM! DOG WILL BITE!"

I was 12 when he passed away and it set the scene, I can remember them all and I hope they are all running the fields together in some canine Heaven. Every one a character.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,541Posts Today

8,767Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @kcbelsham: @MartinSLewis . This Account would have to pay at least 12% to achieve £1 million in 35 years . Any ideas ( think it is impo?

• Really? The highest interest rate amount for that volume of cash currently is 2%? You'd need an interest rate explo? https://t.co/6YRk1wLdTl

• Today's Twitter poll: Is it acceptable to take your shirt off and go topless in the street when it's scorching in the UK?

• Follow Martin