Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • woody14867
    • By woody14867 19th Apr 17, 3:37 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 8Thanks
    woody14867
    Inventory when leaving a premisis
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:37 PM
    Inventory when leaving a premisis 19th Apr 17 at 3:37 PM
    Hi
    I was wondering if you could offer me some advice.
    We are soon to leave our rented accommodation after many years.
    Initially the landlord employed a letting agents to look after the premises but over the years the landlord and I have worked on a rolling contract and have not done an inventory. The property has been well looked after and a recent visit by the landlords daughter agrees that its in good condition. Should I, when leaving ensure that there is an inventory carried out and that she signs off each room etc. Should I add any particular wording on the inventory so that iwont get any comebacks?
    Thanks for your help in advance
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 19th Apr 17, 3:43 PM
    • 41,873 Posts
    • 48,447 Thanks
    G_M
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:43 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:43 PM
    The inventory is the one (if any) that was drawn up /agreed when you first moved in.

When you leave, the landlord may wish to do an inspection, and cross-compare this with the original inventory.

Tenants have no right to be present when the inspection is done, though the LL may agree to go through it with you if you ask.

If you are concerned, then

a) take photos after you've moved (ie last thing before returning the keys)
    b) note (and photo?) the meter readings
    c) go through the original inventory yourself before you leave and check nothing is missing or damaged.
    d) repair/replace anything missing/broken as that may be cheaper than the LL employing a contractor.

See also

* Deposits: payment, protection and return
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

749Posts Today

6,418Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin