Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JEN22
    • By JEN22 19th Apr 17, 3:22 PM
    • 340Posts
    • 58Thanks
    JEN22
    Fish bone and blood
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:22 PM
    Fish bone and blood 19th Apr 17 at 3:22 PM
    Bought this today for the garden. What do I do with it?

Can I put it round my roses? do you have to hoe it in?
Page 1
    • AndyBSG
    • By AndyBSG 19th Apr 17, 4:07 PM
    • 927 Posts
    • 1,129 Thanks
    AndyBSG
    • 19th Apr 17, 4:07 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 4:07 PM
    You can use it on pretty much all plants because it's a natural fertiliser rather than a chemical one.

It is a pretty slow release one so is general recommended to use at the beginning of the year, mainly to prepare plants for when they start growing rather than using when they've already started.

Ideally you do want to rake it in as much as possible but as it's so fine you can also just sprinkle around the base of the plants and water in, the benefit just won't be as great.

Also, a little goes a long way, you only really need a tablespoon or so for each plant(a bit more in the case of something large like a rose bush).

The downside to it is that the smell does tend to attract local cats who may well have a good dig around trying to find a fish supper!
    • JEN22
    • By JEN22 19th Apr 17, 4:44 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    JEN22
    • 19th Apr 17, 4:44 PM
    So its good for my roses then?
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 19th Apr 17, 4:44 PM
    • 3,780 Posts
    • 7,648 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    OP - do you ever read the posts on your earlier threads that answer your questions? There have been so many others advising you on rose nutrition....

Anyway, having bought the stuff, yes, you can put it on roses, yes, you should work it in with a hoe, don't leave it in contact with the rose (or other) stems, or it may burn and kill them, best done when there's some rain coming.

I answered your query on which garden edger to buy, but note you have asked exactly the same question here and here as well...

Oh well, happy to help
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

684Posts Today

6,308Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin