Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NewShoes
    • By NewShoes 19th Apr 17, 2:46 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 4Thanks
    NewShoes
    Tooth woes
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:46 PM
    Tooth woes 19th Apr 17 at 2:46 PM
    Hey all,
    Just looking for some advice. I'm in my mid 30s and, due to a failed root canal, it looks like I'll be losing my lower second pre-molar soon. I'm not sure if this will show when smiling as it's quite on the side but still, I don't like the idea of having a gap. Would a maryland bridge be a viable option for this tooth? I believe they aren't the strongest of bridges.

Many thanks for any help!
    NS
Page 1
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 19th Apr 17, 7:16 PM
    • 3,995 Posts
    • 3,621 Thanks
    brook2jack
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:16 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:16 PM
    There are many treatment options for replacing this tooth , all of which have advantages and disadvantages, including just leaving a gap.

You are best discussing these with a dentist who can see you, your x rays etc.

However , in general, a Maryland in this position is unlikely to last long , although some are lucky.
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 20th Apr 17, 8:29 AM
    • 8,710 Posts
    • 10,366 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:29 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:29 AM
    As above - Many factors influence the'best' option. No two people will be the same, and it's also unlikely no two dentists would recommend exactly the same approach!

You need to discuss it with your dentist and get the pros & cons of each then decide.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    • NewShoes
    • By NewShoes 20th Apr 17, 9:45 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    NewShoes
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:45 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:45 AM
    Thanks for the replies! The teeth either side are healthy non-filled teeth but I appreciate that each case is different and my dentist is the best person to ask, it's just tricky taking time off work to get there.

As a matter of interest, how long does it typically take for a deep molar filling to settle (i.e. stop being sensitive to, mainly, cold)? Is it possible that the tooth will, as long as it lasts, always be sensitive? I'm using Colgate Pro-Relief (ooo-err) but it's difficult to tell if it's having any effect. The pain lasts a couple of seconds and then fades.

Thanks!
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 20th Apr 17, 9:54 AM
    • 3,995 Posts
    • 3,621 Thanks
    brook2jack
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:54 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:54 AM
    How long is a piece of string? It depends on why it is sensitive, what materials were used to line and fill , etc etc. You need to ask your dentist who did it. Some teeth settle, some don't , some die off and need root treatment.
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 20th Apr 17, 10:34 AM
    • 8,710 Posts
    • 10,366 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:34 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:34 AM
    Tricky to get time off or not - that is the only place you will get accurate answers to your questions.

You will get people on here saying "mine settled down in a couple of days" you will get others saying "mine got an abscess, fell to pieces during the root filling and had to come out"! You'll be no better off, and probably more confused!
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    • NewShoes
    • By NewShoes 20th Apr 17, 10:44 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    NewShoes
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:44 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:44 AM
    OK guys, I get what you're saying. Thanks for your advice.
    • xMonsoonx
    • By xMonsoonx 21st Apr 17, 8:44 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    xMonsoonx
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:44 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:44 PM
    I believe they aren't the strongest of bridges.
    Originally posted by NewShoes
    I have had one as a canine for 8 years, its poped off twice and both times its been cleaned up and put back on (one was yesterday infact).

I did have to change some of my diet a little - no things like corn on the cob etc and avoid chewy or crunchy foods and sweets, but its been fine and anytime it has come off it has been my fault.

I have been saving for an implant but things like car and boiler keep swallowing up my savings.

If your teeth are painful while making your choices go to the pharmacist and get some Orajel as it will help you be a bit move comfortable.
    Last edited by xMonsoonx; 21-04-2017 at 8:50 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

50Posts Today

2,297Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin