Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Durban
    • By Durban 19th Apr 17, 2:30 PM
    • 73Posts
    • 185Thanks
    Durban
    State Pension Question
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:30 PM
    State Pension Question 19th Apr 17 at 2:30 PM
    My husband and I lived overseas for many years but now have 21 full years of NI contributions.
    I have had a look online at our State Pension forecasts. My husband will reach his state pension age of 67 in 14 years.
    This will give him his full 35 years of NI contributions and a full state pension in spite of being contracted out for some of those years.
    I am surprised however, that the forecast states that he will only have to pay in for another 10 years to obtain a full state pension at age 67 and not 14 years which would give him the full 35 years of paying in.
    Is this because he may have paid into SERPS for a while?
    This will mean that he will probably be able to retire at 65 on his work pension and still get full state pension at 67.
    Does this sound correct?
    Many thanks
    Mortgage at highest start date - 25/9/2014 - 92000
    Mortgage now 21/3/17 - 62,880
    MFD - October 2025 MF Goal Date 2021
Page 1
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 19th Apr 17, 3:10 PM
    • 9,499 Posts
    • 7,088 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:10 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:10 PM
    yup, sounds about right, probably using the "old" rules for the best apr 2016 starting amount means he's got a current valuation of about 110/wk, so 10 more years should max him out.
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,994Posts Today

6,002Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin