Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Infidel
    • By Infidel 19th Apr 17, 2:23 PM
    • 1,197Posts
    • 293Thanks
    Infidel
    Skype microphone - low to no volume
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:23 PM
    Skype microphone - low to no volume 19th Apr 17 at 2:23 PM
    Hi.

After being forced to update to the latest version of Skype some time ago my microphone - both built-in and my plug in headset basically stopped functioning properly.

People at the other end couldn't hear me - and I basically had to shout right into the laptop front panel to be heard at all. I also used the Skype calling and test - and yes I could hardly hear my own recorded voice even when I shouted.

The mic works fine on other programs. I also changed all the mic settings - input up to max and mic boost etc. but this still didn't work.

The internet tells me it's some kind of Realtek/Skype issue. Has anyone else had this problem and been able to resolve it?

Furthermore has anyone been able to roll back to an older version of Skype and use that? I did try downloading a couple of versions before 7 - but they both didn't allow me to even log in - saying 'Skype can't connect' - to which the help page said I need to download the 'latest version' (the one that doesn't work).

I'm running the awful Windows 10 - But would be prepared to downgrade this if that's what is necessary.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Infidel; 19-04-2017 at 2:42 PM.
    Instigated terrorism the road to dictatorship.
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 19th Apr 17, 5:39 PM
    • 25,866 Posts
    • 10,295 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:39 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:39 PM
    Have you increased the volume in the sound system control panel?
    Not in skype itself.

I have found updating drivers can affect the max volume on some devices.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Infidel
    • By Infidel 19th Apr 17, 5:46 PM
    • 1,197 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    Infidel
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:46 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:46 PM
    Have you increased the volume in the sound system control panel?
    Not in skype itself.

I have found updating drivers can affect the max volume on some devices.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Yes. I've gone through all the volume/sound settings.

As I don't have any problems with my mic input on any other programs - it's almost certainly a 'Skype latest version problem'.
    • were
    • By were 19th Apr 17, 5:54 PM
    • 516 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    were
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:54 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:54 PM
    I would start by looking for new audio drivers and this is the easy free way
    http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 19th Apr 17, 6:22 PM
    • 7,645 Posts
    • 7,719 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 19th Apr 17, 6:22 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 6:22 PM
    All our Skype mics at work need to be connected via a little preamp to bring them within the audio range of a PC.
    • david39
    • By david39 19th Apr 17, 8:39 PM
    • 1,926 Posts
    • 1,555 Thanks
    david39
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:39 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:39 PM
    I had this problem some years ago with earlier versions of Windows and Skype.
    Never found the answer to it. Just started using a tablet instead but not the real answer.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 19th Apr 17, 8:59 PM
    • 3,321 Posts
    • 3,359 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:59 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 8:59 PM
    In my version of Skype (7.33.0.105) I have to have the microphone (in Audio Settings) set to 100% with Automatically Adjust option UNticked. If I don't I also get the same problem of quiet audio pickup.

In properties for the microphone I also have Levels set to 100% and Mic Boost set to +30dB. (Your mic may not offer the latter option).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • danthemoneysavingman
    • By danthemoneysavingman 20th Apr 17, 11:01 AM
    • 1,214 Posts
    • 513 Thanks
    danthemoneysavingman
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:01 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:01 AM
    I have 2 practically identical computers at home (Dell AIO 2350), one has this problem and the other one does not. Driving me mad trying to work out how that's possible. Would be very interested to hear if there is a resolution anyone can find.
    I will try cross-comparing all the drivers and see if it is at least related to that and report back (should I remember to do this :-) )

Anyone in the meantime susses it out pls post findings!
    • Infidel
    • By Infidel 20th Apr 17, 2:50 PM
    • 1,197 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    Infidel
    • 20th Apr 17, 2:50 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 2:50 PM
    I am not alone.

I also have mic boost option - but it makes no difference :-o

As for rolling back Skype. Why do they not allow this? One search of the internet and you can see that loads of people seem to have problems with updates for all manner of different programs.

Perhaps a 'Skype alternative' might be the only way to sort this out? I rarely do Skype to Skype so any other program where I can make low-cost land-line and mobile calls (in other countries) would probably suffice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

180Posts Today

1,278Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin