Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shereekerry
    • By Shereekerry 19th Apr 17, 2:17 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Shereekerry
    Working 15HPW + Bank Holidays...entitled to tax credits?
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:17 PM
    Working 15HPW + Bank Holidays...entitled to tax credits? 19th Apr 17 at 2:17 PM
    Hi, I am contracted to work 15 hours per week (Saturday and Sunday 7.5 hours per day) and bank holidays. The 7 bank holidays I work add up to an additional 52 hours over the year.....so there's my extra hour of work per week.

I have a daughter age 1. At the moment my partner cares for her on a weekend (when i'm at work) but I will need childcare for her on a Saturday soon due to his commitments.

Can i apply for tax credits to help ?

I called the tax credits helpline and he said "you should be able to..." but I wanted guarantees!
    Last edited by Shereekerry; 19-04-2017 at 2:18 PM. Reason: unclear
Page 1
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 19th Apr 17, 2:27 PM
    • 4,656 Posts
    • 2,941 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:27 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:27 PM
    You can't average hours over the year.

To claim help with childcare your normal working hours would need to be at least 16hrs and last for at least 4 weeks. Your partner would also need to work at least 16hrs per week.

There are exceptions if one of you works at least 16hrs and the other is disabled or a carer and receiving certain benefits.
    • Shereekerry
    • By Shereekerry 19th Apr 17, 2:29 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shereekerry
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:29 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:29 PM
    Thanks for your reply, my partner works full time and I care for our daughter working weekends to supplement his income. Could he apply since he works over 16 hours? x
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 19th Apr 17, 2:47 PM
    • 4,656 Posts
    • 2,941 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:47 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:47 PM
    No, you both need to work at least 16hrs per week unless you are consider incapacitated, in hospital, prison or a carrr receiving carers allowance (for caring for someone with a disability).

You would need to increase your normal working hours to claim childcare help.

What help you then get depends on the specifics (hours, incomes, childcare costs etc).

It is possible to claim tax credits without childcare but again depends on the specifics.
    • Shereekerry
    • By Shereekerry 19th Apr 17, 3:11 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shereekerry
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:11 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:11 PM
    Strange that the Turn2us and Entitled2 websites both say we're entitled to £43.81 per month tax credits, and I have been honest about our working hours on there. *sigh*
    • Shereekerry
    • By Shereekerry 19th Apr 17, 3:12 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shereekerry
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:12 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:12 PM
    PS: i am talking about child tax credits, not working tax credits x
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 19th Apr 17, 3:13 PM
    • 4,656 Posts
    • 2,941 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:13 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:13 PM
    Please see my post above. Your original question was about childcare help.

As I said, it's possible to get tax credits without childcare but depends on your specific circumstances. You haven't mentioned income so unable to give more accurate information.
    • Shereekerry
    • By Shereekerry 19th Apr 17, 3:23 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shereekerry
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:23 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:23 PM
    Thanks for your input. Unfortunately the advice you have given seems to be incorrect. Tax credits can be applied for by a couple with 1 or more child if the couple are working at least 24 hours between them (with 1 working at least 16 hours) - information taken from the gov uk website on the tax credit eligibility page, should you wish up update your knowledge.

Thanks you for your time anyway.
    Last edited by Shereekerry; 19-04-2017 at 3:23 PM. Reason: typo
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 19th Apr 17, 3:26 PM
    • 4,656 Posts
    • 2,941 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:26 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:26 PM
    That is the criteria for WTC, not help with childcare. You specifically say above you are not asking about working tax credits.

I do not need to update my knowledge thank you.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 19th Apr 17, 3:27 PM
    • 4,656 Posts
    • 2,941 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/tax-credits-technical-manual/tctm02610

To qualify for a childcare element the claimant:

must be 16 or over, and
    both members of a couple must be in qualifying remunerative work for 16 hours or more a week, or
    one member of the couple must be in qualifying remunerative work for 16 hours or more a week and the other
    is incapacitated
    is an inpatient in hospital
    is in prison (whether serving a custodial sentence or remanded in custody awaiting trial or sentence), or
    is entitled to carer’s allowance under section 70 of the Social Security Contributions and Benefits Act 1992 (with effect from 6th April 2012)
    • Diary
    • By Diary 19th Apr 17, 4:03 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    Diary
    Thanks for your input. Unfortunately the advice you have given seems to be incorrect. Tax credits can be applied for by a couple with 1 or more child if the couple are working at least 24 hours between them (with 1 working at least 16 hours) - information taken from the gov uk website on the tax credit eligibility page, should you wish up update your knowledge.

Thanks you for your time anyway.
    Originally posted by Shereekerry
    Instead of expecting people to mind read you, next time update your forum posting skills.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 19th Apr 17, 4:08 PM
    • 4,791 Posts
    • 9,649 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Note to self: when I want tax credit advice, make sure I question Darksparklers knowledge
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 19th Apr 17, 8:27 PM
    • 4,656 Posts
    • 2,941 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    Note to self: when I want tax credit advice, make sure I question Darksparklers knowledge
    Originally posted by marliepanda
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

186Posts Today

1,927Users online

Martin's Twitter