Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Windsorcastle
    • By Windsorcastle 19th Apr 17, 2:16 PM
    • 462Posts
    • 264Thanks
    Windsorcastle
    Can I revoke my will?
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:16 PM
    Can I revoke my will? 19th Apr 17 at 2:16 PM
    I had a will drawn up 2 years ago which is registered with the official online service, etc. I want to revoke the will completely, and do not necessarily want to draw up a new one just yet. Can I just go back to the original solicitor and ask her to revoke the will and then get it removed from the tracing service?
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 19th Apr 17, 2:17 PM
    • 31,033 Posts
    • 36,724 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:17 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:17 PM
    yes.......or get a codicil done basically saying the same
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 19th Apr 17, 2:26 PM
    • 5,377 Posts
    • 24,505 Thanks
    thorsoak
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:26 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:26 PM
    Just arrange to have a new will drawn up and right at the beginning it should say "I hereby revoke all previous wills".......
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 19th Apr 17, 2:28 PM
    • 27,322 Posts
    • 69,522 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:28 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:28 PM
    I had a will drawn up 2 years ago which is registered with the official online service, etc. I want to revoke the will completely, and do not necessarily want to draw up a new one just yet. Can I just go back to the original solicitor and ask her to revoke the will and then get it removed from the tracing service?
    Originally posted by Windsorcastle
    Get the original will back and destroy it.

If you want to make sure that no-one thinks the will still exists, write to the solicitor explaining what you are going to do, that you do not intend to make a new will at the moment and expect your estate to be dealt with according to the intestacy laws if you die before you do make a will.
    • fewgroats
    • By fewgroats 19th Apr 17, 2:30 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    fewgroats
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:30 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:30 PM
    It is usually recommended that you hide it where it can be discovered in Chapter 14...

Of course you can revoke wills, haven't you read Agatha Christie? The reason people don't is that it's too involved, or expensive.
    Last edited by fewgroats; 19-04-2017 at 2:46 PM.
    Lent Challenge: 132/200 Failed
    Pancake Day+70 challenge (ends 8 June): 204/300
    • chesky
    • By chesky 19th Apr 17, 9:43 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    chesky
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:43 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:43 PM
    You do realise that if you die between cancelling the old will and making a new one, you will be intestate. You might want to check out what would happen in that case and whether or not it might be better to keep the original until the new one is made.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 19th Apr 17, 10:47 PM
    • 7,174 Posts
    • 7,521 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:47 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:47 PM
    The easiest thing is to make a new will that
    (a) revokes all previous wills
    (b) directs that all assets be disposed of according to the laws of intestacy

Bear in mind that without a will you will not have an Executor to look after the estate.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,138Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin