Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Enervant
    • By Enervant 19th Apr 17, 1:29 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Enervant
    Hotel\hostel doesnt care about thieves
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:29 PM
    Hotel\hostel doesnt care about thieves 19th Apr 17 at 1:29 PM
    In my first case i thought it was some isolated case but it seems that most of the hotels/hostels in London dont care about thieves, especially the smalls ones. Where can i complain about it & if i can get some refund.

Thank you
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 19th Apr 17, 1:40 PM
    • 18,437 Posts
    • 14,148 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:40 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:40 PM
    I think you need to tell us a bit more if you expect to get an answer. Having said that, theft is a police matter, call 101 to report it (but don't expect them to give you a refund).
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 19th Apr 17, 1:42 PM
    • 15,186 Posts
    • 20,644 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:42 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:42 PM
    That depends...

The general advice is to NEVER leave anything of value in a hotel room unless it is locked in a safe.

If something was stolen from a locked safe, then either claim on your house insurance, or contact the police.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 19th Apr 17, 2:10 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 2,661 Thanks
    daytona0
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:10 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:10 PM
    Depends who had the responsibility of care for the item; read the Ts and Cs of your contract with the hostel.

If you were responsible for the care of your items then you'll need to make a claim against the person who stole your item(s), and not the hostel.

If the hostel were responsible for the care of your items then you can take the hostel to Small Claims Court (or do what pinkshoes said)

They will not care one bit about stealing if they are not legally obliged to do so.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 19th Apr 17, 2:13 PM
    • 31,634 Posts
    • 37,326 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:13 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:13 PM
    last holiday I was on someone was complaining about thefts from room , turns out they had tried to save the 30 euro deposit on the room safe by not bothering and leaving all their stuff laying round the room.

I know technically people shouldn't be able to get in your room BUT its your own fault if theres a safe available in the room or reception
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • bris
    • By bris 19th Apr 17, 3:11 PM
    • 6,837 Posts
    • 5,868 Thanks
    bris
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:11 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:11 PM
    Hostels don't have a security guards sitting over your bed 24/7, of course they care about thieves but there is nothing they can do about them.

The only person responsible for your belongings is you. You can't leave them lying about it's just to risky in a hostel which is no where near as secure as a hotel. Hotels aren't perfect but there are also thieves about but again leaving items unsecured in a room is the risk you take.

Safes are available in every hotel I have ever stayed in and I also believe that hostels have safes available you can rent.
    • Enervant
    • By Enervant 19th Apr 17, 3:51 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Enervant
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:51 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:51 PM
    Hello,
    It usually happens in the common areas, like lounge/tv room, interior locked garden, etc, where there is CCTV. I call the police when the value exceeds 10£ but in most cases it's under this value.
    • bris
    • By bris 19th Apr 17, 6:16 PM
    • 6,837 Posts
    • 5,868 Thanks
    bris
    • 19th Apr 17, 6:16 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 6:16 PM
    Hello,
    It usually happens in the common areas, like lounge/tv room, interior locked garden, etc, where there is CCTV. I call the police when the value exceeds 10£ but in most cases it's under this value.
    Originally posted by Enervant
    That's even worse, you're now admitting you leave your stuff lying about in common areas. You really do make it easy for them.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 19th Apr 17, 6:42 PM
    • 1,702 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 19th Apr 17, 6:42 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 6:42 PM
    Unless you can prove that the hotel was negligent, the hotel is not liable.
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 19th Apr 17, 7:07 PM
    • 4,105 Posts
    • 11,009 Thanks
    Hermia
    last holiday I was on someone was complaining about thefts from room , turns out they had tried to save the 30 euro deposit on the room safe by not bothering and leaving all their stuff laying round the room.
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    I had a student job in a hotel and remember people doing that. One thing to bear in mind is that when the maid cleans the room the door will be kept open so they can access their cart and also for safety reasons. When I used to clean the bathroom I obviously couldn't watch the room. No one ever pinched anything when I was doing that, but it would have been possible for someone to have nipped in and picked something up without me noticing. I think the hotels I have stayed in have all had notices up stating not to leave valuables in your room so I don't think they will be liable.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 20th Apr 17, 12:02 AM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 1,652 Thanks
    Ectophile
    That depends...

The general advice is to NEVER leave anything of value in a hotel room unless it is locked in a safe.

If something was stolen from a locked safe, then either claim on your house insurance, or contact the police.
    Originally posted by pinkshoes
    A while back, I bought a small safe from a hardware store. It's just like the ones in many hotel rooms.

When you open the safe in a hotel room, it will contain a little leaflet telling you how to set your own combination.

But when I looked in my shiny new safe, I was rather surprised to see the leaflet telling me how to set both the combinations. There are two different combinations, which are set using different sequences of keypresses. I wonder who in the hotel knows the other combination for the safes in each room.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • loftykins
    • By loftykins 20th Apr 17, 4:05 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    loftykins
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWY5ZoAYcSs
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 20th Apr 17, 6:36 AM
    • 2,592 Posts
    • 3,558 Thanks
    JReacher1
    I wonder who in the hotel knows the other combination for the safes in each room.
    Originally posted by Ectophile
    Some of the hotel employees will know the master code otherwise if you forget your combination nobody in the hotel will be able to open your safe. It seems pretty obvious that the hotel will need an override combination for the hotel safes.
    • Enervant
    • By Enervant 20th Apr 17, 1:28 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Enervant
    Unless you can prove that the hotel was negligent, the hotel is not liable.
    Originally posted by steampowered
    How could i prove that? In some cases the staff is helpfull but in other cases they dont know how to get rid of you or the camera doesn't work properly.
    • timbstoke
    • By timbstoke 20th Apr 17, 3:50 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 1,199 Thanks
    timbstoke
    If you've left your stuff lying around in common areas, you're going to have a real problem proving that the hotel, rather than you, is the negligent party.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 20th Apr 17, 6:34 PM
    • 15,304 Posts
    • 11,116 Thanks
    hollydays
    How could i prove that? In some cases the staff is helpfull but in other cases they dont know how to get rid of you or the camera doesn't work properly.
    It's very easy to take a messenger- type bag into the community areas, you should keep it with you at all times.
    Even if there is a camera it may not show the theft.

Most sensible people don't leave possessions unattended .

It's very careless to do this.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 20th Apr 17, 8:30 PM
    • 20,044 Posts
    • 227,740 Thanks
    Valli
    How many times and from how many hotels have your possessions been stolen?
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
    • Andy L
    • By Andy L 20th Apr 17, 8:34 PM
    • 8,441 Posts
    • 6,736 Thanks
    Andy L
    Under The Hotel Proprietors Act 1956 hotel owners have very little liability for guests property, £50-£100 max unless the loss is due to "the default, neglect or wilful act of the proprietor or some servant of his" or its been specifically deposited for safe custody with the hotel (where in room safes seem a bit of a grey area).

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Eliz2/4-5/62
    • elsien
    • By elsien 20th Apr 17, 8:39 PM
    • 15,072 Posts
    • 37,740 Thanks
    elsien
    Hello,
    So you're having things worth less than a tenner nicked from communal areas? Whatever it is that's being pinched, how about keeping it in your pocket? Problem solved.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Country Cousin
    • By Country Cousin 21st Apr 17, 7:23 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    Country Cousin
    Some common sense and personal responsibility needs to be applied here by the OP.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

115Posts Today

2,017Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin