Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • supergran2007
    • By supergran2007 19th Apr 17, 12:29 PM
    • 303Posts
    • 301Thanks
    supergran2007
    Vauxhall Antara advice plz !
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:29 PM
    Vauxhall Antara advice plz ! 19th Apr 17 at 12:29 PM
    HI guys !
    I'm after a bit of advice please
    Has anyone got a vauxhall antara and if so would you say they're a decent car ?

All advice welcome please before i commit to something i may regret !!

Many thanks in advance !!
Page 1
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 19th Apr 17, 12:45 PM
    • 5,658 Posts
    • 5,111 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:45 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:45 PM
    We've got one and it's very much alright. Not spectacular at anything, but not bad at anything either. Handles well enough,comfortable enough, fast enough, tows well enough, loads of space (I've got 2m lengths inside before), decent enough inside. Nice ride height too. No idea what it's like offroad.

Would I buy another one? Sure, the prices are pretty good for what you get.
    • gabitzul
    • By gabitzul 19th Apr 17, 3:40 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    gabitzul
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:40 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:40 PM
    Don't see the point of one, unless you need to regularly tow a trailer etc. or you live in such an area where only a 4x4 will do. That would be probalby under 1% of the population.

For the rest, it will just be another complex, expensive to service, heavy, thirsty car, therefore pointless for what they need. An estate car like an Avensis estate will have more space inside and will be much cheaper to run, or if 7 seats are a must, maybe a Ford S-Max or similar. Obviously, just my 2p.
    • facade
    • By facade 19th Apr 17, 5:30 PM
    • 2,837 Posts
    • 1,438 Thanks
    facade
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:30 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:30 PM
    Make sure it is a 4x4, the poverty spec. models only drive the front wheels.

Can't see any point in a crippled 4x4, as above you might as well get an estate than the 4x2 version.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • supergran2007
    • By supergran2007 19th Apr 17, 5:45 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    supergran2007
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:45 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:45 PM
    THanks so much for the advice guys, much appreciated! ☺
    • fromtheshires
    • By fromtheshires 20th Apr 17, 1:40 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    fromtheshires
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:40 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 1:40 PM
    Get anything other than Vauxhall. My family have had vauxhalls ever since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Their standards, quality and customer service have dropped massively over the last few years to the point that now only my brother still drives a vehicle with the Vauxhall badge on the front.

I gave up on mine after a fault developed and they 'couldnt find the fault' yet when I picked it up that night it was there still. Head office said we cant do anything for you if the garage cant find a fault. When they called a week after I sold it to try and sell me another car (despite me telling them constantly not to call me), I gave the sales girl (same one I had told ages ago not t call me again) what I thought and her response was oh well, we have better cars now. She wasnt interested in my problems just another sale.

If you want a 4x4, go to a proper 4x4 manufacturer.
    • davidwood123
    • By davidwood123 20th Apr 17, 2:16 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 1,124 Thanks
    davidwood123
    • 20th Apr 17, 2:16 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 2:16 PM
    Get anything other than Vauxhall. My family have had vauxhalls ever since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Their standards, quality and customer service have dropped massively over the last few years to the point that now only my brother still drives a vehicle with the Vauxhall badge on the front.

I gave up on mine after a fault developed and they 'couldnt find the fault' yet when I picked it up that night it was there still. Head office said we cant do anything for you if the garage cant find a fault. When they called a week after I sold it to try and sell me another car (despite me telling them constantly not to call me), I gave the sales girl (same one I had told ages ago not t call me again) what I thought and her response was oh well, we have better cars now. She wasnt interested in my problems just another sale.

If you want a 4x4, go to a proper 4x4 manufacturer.
    Originally posted by fromtheshires

That's her job, sales.

Oh, and if you think the likes Land Rover are any better you're delusional.
    • fourcandles
    • By fourcandles 20th Apr 17, 3:16 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    fourcandles
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:16 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:16 PM
    Depends what you want it for really. We bought a used one around 12 months ago when we had to replace our tow car for the caravan on quite a tight budget. We looked at several different 4X4s in our price range and the Antara seemed to offer the most car for our money.

It's OK. It's a good tow car - much more stable than our last car - and does what we bought it for - it's just, well, dull really.

It sprang an oil leak about 8 weeks after we bought it, which was fixed by the dealer under their warranty, and we have had niggly engine management lights come on from time to time and then go off again, but touch wood so far nothing major has gone wrong with it.

Would we buy another one? If we had to replace it under a tight budget- possibly. If we had a bit more to spend next time - definitely not.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 20th Apr 17, 7:07 PM
    • 11,546 Posts
    • 6,459 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:07 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:07 PM
    Check it comes with the optional indicators.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • fromtheshires
    • By fromtheshires 21st Apr 17, 1:34 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    fromtheshires
    [/B]

That's her job, sales.

Oh, and if you think the likes Land Rover are any better you're delusional.
    Originally posted by davidwood123
    Im not delusional in any sense of the term, I know someone who works in Land Rovers warranty and returns department. They hepled me out a lot with trying to sort my issue and they were appalled at Vauxhalls lack of interest and they would have done a lot more, especially if a complaint is logged with their head office.

Re your other point, yes she is sales but instead of actually listening to me she didnt even pretend to care. If someone has had bad service the least you should do is pay them lip service.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 21st Apr 17, 5:01 PM
    • 7,049 Posts
    • 5,447 Thanks
    daveyjp
    Also check it comes with chocks for the wheels. Put it gear and use the chocks, otherwise the electric handbrake may fail and plant the car through the front of your house.

My mate had no chocks, the handbrake failed and it rolled down his drive, narrowly missing him.

Best day of his life was when they wrote the piece of junk off.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,094Posts Today

8,494Users online

Martin's Twitter