Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hugfi
    • By Hugfi 19th Apr 17, 12:29 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Hugfi
    EDF cannot support British Gas Smart meter
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:29 PM
    EDF cannot support British Gas Smart meter 19th Apr 17 at 12:29 PM
    Started the process to switch from BG to EDF. After weeks of waiting, EDF have informed us they are unable to support electric smart meter but can support the Gas. Both meters were installed August 2016 by BG. EDF have told me smart meters with code SCC0976 are not supported. Where do I go now apart from back to BG who are holding us to ransome it would appear!!?
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 19th Apr 17, 12:56 PM
    • 17,323 Posts
    • 11,516 Thanks
    molerat
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:56 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:56 PM
    You will have a "meter", not a smart one. Very few suppliers can take on an existing smart meter, if you leave and go back later they will likely not be able to set the meter back up again. You have just found the basic flaw in the whole expensive smart meter roll out debacle. Are you willing to pay extra for your energy just to have a smart meter ?
    Last edited by molerat; 19-04-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 19th Apr 17, 12:58 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    Raxiel
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:58 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:58 PM
    A smart meter is just a meter with smart functionality added on, you can still take readings from the meter itself and provide them to the supplier, just the same as if you had a meter that was ancient.

I think you need to ask EDF for clarification, because unless there is something incredibly strange about that particular model, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to switch, you just won't have them read remotely (which would pretty much be the case whoever you switched to).

It's odd that they claim they can read the gas though, since as far as I know, smart gas meters are always relayed through the paired electric meter, they don't work on their own.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

183Posts Today

1,528Users online

Martin's Twitter