Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gterr
    • By gterr 19th Apr 17, 11:42 AM
    • 520Posts
    • 221Thanks
    gterr
    How to correct a Gift Aid error on tax return
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:42 AM
    How to correct a Gift Aid error on tax return 19th Apr 17 at 11:42 AM
    Hi there,

I am in self-assessment and have just registered for online submission of tax returns.

For the past few years I have been Gift Aiding charity donations. Now, when I am getting ready for this year's tax return, I realise that with the changes to savings interest and dividend allowances, I will no longer be paying income tax (or CGT). This is the first year this has happened. I have notified the charities but need to deal with Gift Aid claimed in the 2016-2017 year.

How do I correct my mistake on the SA tax return and pay back the tax wrongly claimed by the charities?

Thanks for your time.
Page 1
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 19th Apr 17, 1:48 PM
    • 1,483 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:48 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:48 PM
    You shouldn't need to do anything other than complete your return ensuring you include details of the gift aid amounts in 2016:17.

When you have completed the return the calculation should include an amount due in respect of the Gift Aid, basically you will have a self assessment liability equivalent to the tax relief the charities have claimed.
    • Cook_County
    • By Cook_County 19th Apr 17, 6:47 PM
    • 2,882 Posts
    • 2,067 Thanks
    Cook_County
    • 19th Apr 17, 6:47 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 6:47 PM
    The charities have not wrongly claimed anything.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 19th Apr 17, 7:28 PM
    • 35,522 Posts
    • 149,807 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:28 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:28 PM
    You shouldn't need to do anything other than complete your return ensuring you include details of the gift aid amounts in 2016:17.

When you have completed the return the calculation should include an amount due in respect of the Gift Aid, basically you will have a self assessment liability equivalent to the tax relief the charities have claimed.
    Originally posted by Dazed and confused
    To expand on what Dazed said, when you complete your tax return, it will automatically calculate the amount you need to pay hmrc to cover the amount that the charities will claim back in gift aid. The charities will claim back some tax you won't have paid, so hmrc will include that amount for you to pay through self assessment.

As the saying goes, "no good deed goes unpunished".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,253Posts Today

8,450Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin