Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 19th Apr 17, 11:37 AM
    • 3,968Posts
    • 2,232Thanks
    Hengus
    A £0.29 Laser Colour Printer
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:37 AM
    A £0.29 Laser Colour Printer 19th Apr 17 at 11:37 AM
    My Lexmark colour laser printer (4 years old) needs a set of new toner cartridges. If I went for the manufacturer's items then I would be looking at an outlay of £469. A set of third-party compatible re-cycled cartridges would cost me £168.70.

Arriving later today is a like-for-like replacement model with a 4 year onsite warranty ( which includes a £469 full set of manufacturer's cartridges) at a cost of £168.99 - and I get to use the last of my old toner cartridges in the new printer.

Reading other forums, I am not alone in coming to the conclusion that is cheaper to buy a replacement printer rather than a set of toner cartridges. The World has gone mad.
Page 2
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 19th Apr 17, 11:43 PM
    • 8,167 Posts
    • 6,161 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    What happened to the paperless office? ...... OK I'll get me hat and coat
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 20th Apr 17, 8:06 AM
    • 9,641 Posts
    • 7,198 Thanks
    GunJack
    What happened to the paperless office? ......
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem

not that old chestnut dcm ?!?!?!?!? How many decades has it been around now??
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 20th Apr 17, 8:14 AM
    • 480 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Sigh - and people used to complain abut these

• Robisere
    • By Robisere 20th Apr 17, 8:05 PM
    • 1,623 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    Robisere
    My HP Photosmart C5380 uses 5 cartridges, is almost 8 years old and still prints as good as new. I have never used compatibles and always bought genuine HP cart's, the "XL" high capacity ones. Yes, they are more expensive than compatibles, but the strange thing is that they are cheapest when bought direct from HP, and each time I buy they seem to be getting a little cheaper. I registered the printer when I first set it up and I have had many regular updates from HP as a result. The software and printer opertations are almost unrecogniseable and much more advanced than when I first setup the printer. When ordering cart's, I use the "HP Solution Center" that is part of the HP software package.

I am happy to pay for genuine cart's, because they keep my printer working properly without damage, they print better than compatibles can, and they help me print amazing photos and graphics. I know that I could use a photo shop, but I love printing photos that I have taken and edited myself. I have photographs in frames which I took as long ago as 2009 and there is no fade of colours at all, they still look good.

So why should I buy a new printer, when this one does everything I want it to do, and gives me an interesting hooby? Yes, I would love it to be wireless, but it is set up as part of the network, by being connected to my NAS. We can print from any of 4 more devices, once the software is setup in the NAS and the printer is added to each device. I also carry out printhead clean and alignment, twice a year, to keep it working well. If and when it ever dies, I will be upset, but will definitely buy another HP.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• zagubov
    • By zagubov 20th Apr 17, 10:13 PM
    • 14,619 Posts
    • 125,334 Thanks
    zagubov
    What happened to the paperless office? ...... OK I'll get me hat and coat
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem
    I don't think they have water dispensers at the paper factories any more. When they get thirsty they just crack open another bottle of champagne.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • lomax512
    • By lomax512 21st Apr 17, 2:15 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    lomax512
    I have a Brother HL-2130 and love it because I can refill the toner cartridge from a bottle of toner at £14, there is a guide on YouTube how to do it and it is such a money saver plus the printer can be reset if you like so more dreg's of toner is used up (no waste)
    • chunter
    • By chunter 21st Apr 17, 12:08 PM
    • 1,911 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    chunter
    I have a Brother HL-2130 and love it because I can refill the toner cartridge from a bottle of toner at £14, there is a guide on YouTube how to do it and it is such a money saver plus the printer can be reset if you like so more dreg's of toner is used up (no waste)
    Originally posted by lomax512
    Another vote for the cheapo Brother HL-2130. I got 3 toners off ebay for about 14 quid delivered. Have it two years now. not a bother out of it.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 21st Apr 17, 12:45 PM
    • 2,508 Posts
    • 1,655 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Sigh - and people used to complain abut these

Originally posted by bertiewhite

Few memories brought back there - I owned both of those at one point
    Running with scissors since 1978
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,617Posts Today

7,974Users online

Martin's Twitter