Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • muppy99
    • By muppy99 19th Apr 17, 11:21 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    muppy99
    annex or not annex?
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:21 AM
    annex or not annex? 19th Apr 17 at 11:21 AM
    We have recently converted a small outbuilding in our yard to a self contained home for my elderly mother and father in law to live in. The gas, electric, water and waste services for this building are all connected to our house. My council tax dept do not consider it an annex and will not grant an exemption of council tax. They do not consider it to be an annex because it is separate from the main property. I cannot find any definition of an annex that stipulates that it has to be attached to the main property. Can anyone help?
Page 1
    • beaker141
    • By beaker141 19th Apr 17, 12:08 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    beaker141
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:08 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:08 PM
    try a few of these results ?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=council+tax+definition+of+an+annexe
    • muppy99
    • By muppy99 21st Apr 17, 10:24 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    muppy99
    • 21st Apr 17, 10:24 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 10:24 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion but I have looked everywhere for the actual definition of an annex.
    I cannot find one anywhere that says the annex must be attached to the main house but my council tax office maintain that this is the case. Even the valuations officer who gave the council tax banding agrees that it is an annex.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 21st Apr 17, 10:30 PM
    • 23,176 Posts
    • 65,096 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 21st Apr 17, 10:30 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 10:30 PM
    There's a user called lincroft who knows about these things. They usually live on the house buying board. You might be better trying that board.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,518Posts Today

6,391Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin