Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pepperoni
    • By Pepperoni 19th Apr 17, 11:11 AM
    • 448Posts
    • 1,262Thanks
    Pepperoni
    Packing Service?
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:11 AM
    Packing Service? 19th Apr 17 at 11:11 AM
    I've had a removal quote and an additional quote for a 'packing' service. I'd never heard of it but a Google search shows many forum threads reccommending it! Just wondered what those on MSE thought? Worth the money?

It's an additional £400. They come the day before and pack everything - not sure about unpacking, just clarifying this with the company.

For what it's worth I don't think I'd normally consider it but we have a 1y and 3y old

Page 2
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 19th Apr 17, 8:34 PM
    • 14,896 Posts
    • 127,250 Thanks
    zagubov
    The MSE answer might well be to save money by packing ourselves but this is one of these things you save money elsewhere so you can afford to do it.

Economy makes a great servant but a terrible god.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • stinabean
    • By stinabean 19th Apr 17, 10:23 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    stinabean
    I'm trying to convince the OH that we have this done when we move, but our (rented) house is such a tip as we've not been here long so didn't unpack a lot of it properly, plus there's zero storage so everything is constantly "out" and it looks a state.

How do packers deal with this?
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th Apr 17, 10:31 PM
    • 60,705 Posts
    • 354,872 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... tip as we've not been here long so didn't unpack a lot of it properly, plus there's zero storage so everything is constantly "out" and it looks a state.

How do packers deal with this?
    Originally posted by stinabean
    They don't make the choices and judgement calls you do over what's what and what to do.... they just pack it. They're mechanical. Box, thing, wrap, secure, into the box ... repeat. All they see are "an assortment of objects to put into boxes" and so they're as fast with "clutter/junk/chaos" as with a neat row of books.

Item, wrap, into box; item, wrap, into box; item, wrap, into box. No thinking, just doing.

Relentless little robots....
    • stinabean
    • By stinabean 19th Apr 17, 10:45 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    stinabean
    That's a relief!

Does anyone have any company recommendations?
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 19th Apr 17, 10:56 PM
    • 36,048 Posts
    • 152,266 Thanks
    silvercar
    That's a relief!

Does anyone have any company recommendations?
    Originally posted by stinabean
    Try facebook for local recommendations or failing that contact BAR for a list of firms in your area.

When we moved we found each egg had been taken from the fridge and wrapped in newspaper and arrived intact in our new home!

The best is when I asked what I could do to help and they suggested I go for a walk out of the way!

Generally they pack and leave you to unpack. So some removal of rubbish before you move may make unpacking easier.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 20th Apr 17, 11:06 AM
    • 7,261 Posts
    • 4,050 Thanks
    martindow
    Another vote for getting the packing done by the removal company. It is so much better to have everything packed in a few hours than weeks of chaos with half packed boxes around the house.

You are likely to find that breakages are only covered by their insurance if they do the packing - another good reason!
    • Grampus8
    • By Grampus8 20th Apr 17, 11:53 AM
    • 845 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    Grampus8
    Yep, Pack n Move service for us as well. We did this early March and were very impressed. Least stressful move ever!
    • Ezhilan
    • By Ezhilan 10th Oct 17, 1:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ezhilan
    Hi,
    Usually, movers will charge for that. They will charge for packing material and is depend on materials and number of helpers. Try to do the packing by your selves and buy the backing boxes from shops. But the charge here is very high. Just refer FMCSA for more details about the Movers rules.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 10th Oct 17, 1:23 PM
    • 9,800 Posts
    • 12,422 Thanks
    hazyjo
    I have never been charged extra for packing materials or number of helpers. You will be charged one fee (unless using man + a van sort of service).

Strange first post - and unnecessarily bumping an old post. The cynic in me thinks... hmmm, let's wait and see.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • aneary
    • By aneary 10th Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    aneary
    Do they pack your clothes?

my last move filled up my entire car (medium/large with seats down) with just my wardrobe clothes my clothes in my drawers was another trip?
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 10th Oct 17, 1:57 PM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 1,792 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    Do they pack your clothes?

my last move filled up my entire car (medium/large with seats down) with just my wardrobe clothes my clothes in my drawers was another trip?
    Originally posted by aneary
    The clothes in drawers were left in the drawers last time I moved. The clothes hanging in the wardrobe were put into a special tall hanger box made for the job.
    • freeisgood
    • By freeisgood 10th Oct 17, 2:03 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    freeisgood
    Yes...yes....did I mention yes? We didn't use one last move....highly regretted it! I would rather live on baked beans and value pasta for 6 months than do that again.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 10th Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    aneary
    The clothes in drawers were left in the drawers last time I moved. The clothes hanging in the wardrobe were put into a special tall hanger box made for the job.
    Originally posted by t0rt0ise
    ooooh that sounds great although I have a lot of clothes do they put a limit on the special hanger boxes?
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 10th Oct 17, 4:45 PM
    • 9,800 Posts
    • 12,422 Thanks
    hazyjo
    ooooh that sounds great although I have a lot of clothes do they put a limit on the special hanger boxes?
    Nope I have absolutely tonnes. And a LOT of stuff. They pack absolutely everything! (Just hide your personal bits lol!)
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 10th Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Slithery
    I presume that this gets factored into the quote they give you after viewing your property.
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 10th Oct 17, 5:00 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 4,146 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    I usually ask for 12-20 hanger boxes and that doesn't seem to be a problem.
    • harrys dad
    • By harrys dad 10th Oct 17, 5:37 PM
    • 1,833 Posts
    • 2,060 Thanks
    harrys dad
    This must be the first thread I have read on here in years where the advice is unanimous.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 10th Oct 17, 5:46 PM
    • 9,800 Posts
    • 12,422 Thanks
    hazyjo
    I presume that this gets factored into the quote they give you after viewing your property.
    Originally posted by Slithery
    Yes - I've never had any extras. In fact, they always go over and above. There's never been none of this *sharp intake of breath* jobsworth sorts. They have lifted furniture over back fences, taken arms of sofas off, dismantled beds, picked up a fridge freezer for me en route... great service.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Oct 17, 6:45 PM
    • 6,700 Posts
    • 47,269 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Absolutely yes - when it's put into proportion against other moving costs its the best £ spent (aside from a takeaway on the first night). Think how much time you'd spend packing your own stuff vs professionals that do it all the time.

Using their own boxes also means no moaning about any they have to put in the van and how they fit.

I did pack a few very delicate / sentimental items myself but that was it, packers did everything else (including, a bit over enthusiastically EVERY pair of shoes I had so I had to unearth one pair to leave the house) and a banana that was wrapped up too!

Do keep aside tea / coffee / sugar though - they weren't too pleased when they realised they'd packed the coffee and the sugar
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 10th Oct 17, 7:05 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 2,081 Thanks
    Alter ego
    A couple of moves back they packed an ashtray complete with ash. A company named Fordpicks
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,219Posts Today

6,206Users online

Martin's Twitter