Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pepperoni
    • By Pepperoni 19th Apr 17, 11:11 AM
    • 448Posts
    • 1,262Thanks
    Pepperoni
    Packing Service?
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:11 AM
    Packing Service? 19th Apr 17 at 11:11 AM
    I've had a removal quote and an additional quote for a 'packing' service. I'd never heard of it but a Google search shows many forum threads reccommending it! Just wondered what those on MSE thought? Worth the money?

It's an additional £400. They come the day before and pack everything - not sure about unpacking, just clarifying this with the company.

For what it's worth I don't think I'd normally consider it but we have a 1y and 3y old

Page 2
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 19th Apr 17, 8:34 PM
    • 14,611 Posts
    • 125,305 Thanks
    zagubov
    The MSE answer might well be to save money by packing ourselves but this is one of these things you save money elsewhere so you can afford to do it.

Economy makes a great servant but a terrible god.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • stinabean
    • By stinabean 19th Apr 17, 10:23 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    stinabean
    I'm trying to convince the OH that we have this done when we move, but our (rented) house is such a tip as we've not been here long so didn't unpack a lot of it properly, plus there's zero storage so everything is constantly "out" and it looks a state.

How do packers deal with this?
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th Apr 17, 10:31 PM
    • 59,602 Posts
    • 348,113 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... tip as we've not been here long so didn't unpack a lot of it properly, plus there's zero storage so everything is constantly "out" and it looks a state.

How do packers deal with this?
    Originally posted by stinabean
    They don't make the choices and judgement calls you do over what's what and what to do.... they just pack it. They're mechanical. Box, thing, wrap, secure, into the box ... repeat. All they see are "an assortment of objects to put into boxes" and so they're as fast with "clutter/junk/chaos" as with a neat row of books.

Item, wrap, into box; item, wrap, into box; item, wrap, into box. No thinking, just doing.

Relentless little robots....
    • stinabean
    • By stinabean 19th Apr 17, 10:45 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    stinabean
    That's a relief!

Does anyone have any company recommendations?
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 19th Apr 17, 10:56 PM
    • 35,659 Posts
    • 150,279 Thanks
    silvercar
    That's a relief!

Does anyone have any company recommendations?
    Originally posted by stinabean
    Try facebook for local recommendations or failing that contact BAR for a list of firms in your area.

When we moved we found each egg had been taken from the fridge and wrapped in newspaper and arrived intact in our new home!

The best is when I asked what I could do to help and they suggested I go for a walk out of the way!

Generally they pack and leave you to unpack. So some removal of rubbish before you move may make unpacking easier.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 20th Apr 17, 11:06 AM
    • 7,119 Posts
    • 3,936 Thanks
    martindow
    Another vote for getting the packing done by the removal company. It is so much better to have everything packed in a few hours than weeks of chaos with half packed boxes around the house.

You are likely to find that breakages are only covered by their insurance if they do the packing - another good reason!
    • Grampus8
    • By Grampus8 20th Apr 17, 11:53 AM
    • 829 Posts
    • 1,081 Thanks
    Grampus8
    Yep, Pack n Move service for us as well. We did this early March and were very impressed. Least stressful move ever!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,925Posts Today

8,802Users online

Martin's Twitter