Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pepperoni
    • By Pepperoni 19th Apr 17, 11:11 AM
    • 447Posts
    • 1,262Thanks
    Pepperoni
    Packing Service?
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:11 AM
    Packing Service? 19th Apr 17 at 11:11 AM
    I've had a removal quote and an additional quote for a 'packing' service. I'd never heard of it but a Google search shows many forum threads reccommending it! Just wondered what those on MSE thought? Worth the money?

It's an additional £400. They come the day before and pack everything - not sure about unpacking, just clarifying this with the company.

For what it's worth I don't think I'd normally consider it but we have a 1y and 3y old

Page 1
    • elonii
    • By elonii 19th Apr 17, 11:14 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    elonii
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:14 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:14 AM
    I used a packing service during an international house move I only had 15 days to organise. Similar aged children in tow!

It was worth every single penny, I just stood in the middle of it all and told them how it should be done. An added benefit was that we had zero breakages during the move. It was packed so much better than I would have done!
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 19th Apr 17, 11:15 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 11,371 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:15 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:15 AM
    IT. IS. WORTH. EVERY. PENNY.

I really can't spell it out enough. Some others will obviously disagree.

Have you ever packed up an entire house (flat/whatever you're in) before?

They don't unpack for you. (Some may offer that service, but it's certainly not standard.)

I will NEVER again try to wrap the entire contents of my house. Even just my kitchen would be hell.

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 19th Apr 17, 11:17 AM
    • 5,281 Posts
    • 4,947 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:17 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:17 AM
    we have a 1y and 3y old
    Originally posted by Pepperoni
    Well, they'll be rubbish at helping you to pack - I recommend you get the professionals to do it instead.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 19th Apr 17, 11:44 AM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 2,723 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:44 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:44 AM
    £400?? Just do it - as other posters have said, it is worth every penny. Also, if they pack for you, and something gets broken, they will pay up without hassle. If you pack, and something gets broken, you have to prove that they were negligent - which isn't always easy.

Picture the scene - moving from a large four-bed house to another large four-bed house. Double garage full of stuff. Loft full of stuff. 5 guys rocked up on Day 1, and set about packing everything - all I packed was a suitcase of 'ahem' personal items. They had it done in half a day. I'll say that again - they had it done in half a day. They left some things out - plates etc so we could eat that evening and the next morning, kettle, loo roll, hoover and a couple of other 'last minute' things. And then they turned up the next morning and put it all into the van, drove to where we were moving to and took it all out again. Everything was labelled according to where they'd taken it from - so they put all the 'kitchen' boxes in the kitchen, all the 'bathroom' boxes in the bathroom etc. Simplicity itself.

Do you have someone you can leave the children with on moving day?? You really don't need them under your feet (and neither do the removal men).

And last but not least, when you get to the new house, make setting up the beds your number one priority (even if it's just a mattress on the floor for the first night) - pillows, sheets, duvets, jim jams for the whole family (and favourite cuddlies as appropriate). The last thing you need after a hard day's moving is to go upstairs to bed and then realise you don't have a bed to sleep in. (How do I know this? don't ask...)
    • gld73
    • By gld73 19th Apr 17, 12:10 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    gld73
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:10 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:10 PM
    Definitely worth £400! I moved 3 or 4 times in a previous job, and as they were moves to different company locations, the company paid removal expenses - so I used the packing service and it was a godsend. Although they don't unpack at the other end, they do put the marked boxes in the right rooms so you've got a head start.

I now work for the NHS, don't get a penny in relocation expenses, so with my last house move I went for the low cost option wherever I could - so definitely no packing service. I discovered just what a phaff it is to wrap every plate, every glass, every mug etc etc .... definitely better to leave it to the professionals who do it much faster and much better!
    • freeisgood
    • By freeisgood 19th Apr 17, 12:15 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 729 Thanks
    freeisgood
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:15 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:15 PM
    After almost killing myself packing and moving last year,(with only 8 weeks notice due to landlord wanted to move back in)with a 2r old and two older ones....

.....I 100% will be paying a for packing service when we move next year, even if I have to sell my soul (you get the drift).....never doing it myself again ever.
    Last edited by freeisgood; 19-04-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    • Pepperoni
    • By Pepperoni 19th Apr 17, 12:16 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 1,262 Thanks
    Pepperoni
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:16 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:16 PM
    Thanks all! I'm sold on the full packing service

• Pepperoni
    • By Pepperoni 19th Apr 17, 12:17 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 1,262 Thanks
    Pepperoni
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:17 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:17 PM

Do you have someone you can leave the children with on moving day?? You really don't need them under your feet (and neither do the removal men).
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    Yes, will definitely sort something out for them, thank you for the heads up

• Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 19th Apr 17, 12:28 PM
    • 17,604 Posts
    • 76,827 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Do it - it made our lives so much easier

I did pack some personal stuff myself as I felt better doing it but the packing guys said a lot of people do that.

Don't worry, it's not quite like this

The Devil whispered in my ear "You are not strong enough to withstand the storm".
    Today I whispered in the Devil's ear "I am the storm".
    Das ist der beste tag meines lebens
    Cheap Coffee Lover

• StumpyPumpy
    • By StumpyPumpy 19th Apr 17, 12:56 PM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 3,100 Thanks
    StumpyPumpy
    As everyone else (so far) has said, absolutely get them to do it for you.

Having relatively recently completed a 300+ mile move on short notice it is worth every penny. It was the first time we'd used a packing service and we will never go back to packing ourselves.

Ask them for some boxes to do the things you really want to do yourself then let them get on with the rest. I wouldn't advise you packing your own fragile stuff though because their insurance won't cover breakages if you do and they will do a better job than you anyway (and I say this having been taught to pack fragile stuff by my antique dealer mother from a very early age!) After we had unpacked there was only one thing that got broken - and it was something we had packed ourselves.

Because of the distance we were traveling, they came in like a plague of locusts two days before and boxed lots of things up, finished up next day and moved it all into the pantechnicon - leaving us with just a bed and overnight bags for the last night.

We labelled things clearly with "Please do not pack" if we wanted it to stay or were transporting it ourselves - otherwise they took everything not nailed down. It is not their job to decide what to take so if you have a waste paper basket full of rubbish and don't tell them any different they will pack it up including contents - which some people think is funny, but in reality it is exactly what you want.

People will tell you to make sure you know where your kettle, etc... is when you are moving, which is a good idea - but our movers knew exactly where it was at all times anyway and had it on the boil as soon as they got into our new place (I think they subsist on a sugary tea and biscuit diet )

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th Apr 17, 12:59 PM
    • 58,727 Posts
    • 341,630 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    If you can afford it - it is THE single most important "extra" you can buy when moving house.

I've watched it - you stand and sup coffee, then when you're confident they're up to speed and know what's what, you go out down the road and pick up some lunch for yourself ... or just get on with whatever you fancy .... they just pack, wrap, pack, box, wrap, pack... relentlessly.

You just stand there....

Worth it. Do it if you can afford it.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 19th Apr 17, 1:28 PM
    • 3,575 Posts
    • 7,144 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    .... For what it's worth I don't think I'd normally consider it but we have a 1y and 3y old.....
    Well, normally you'd take them in the car, but if they are well-wrapped by professionals using the correct materials (bubble wrap, tape and nappies), and the journey not too long, they'll be fine, and your journey will be the quieter for it!

Professional packing services are the bees knees. All six knees, unbroken, and hairy as hell! I move too much and, where the tab is being picked up on a relocation package, always (get them to) pay the extra, and never regretted it. They wrap and pack at speed and, at first, one might be concerned. However, the skill that comes from practice pays off.

With BAR removal firms, we have never had a breakage - and that's around six moves of a five(ish) bedroom house, much of it antique (carp and cheap, but fragile) stuff.

Candlesticks with snuffers - not only the snuffer gets individually wrapped, but the candle itself is removed and wrapped. Each and every glass is wrapped, using several sheets of paper. Draws are taken out, tucked up to bed with scrumpled paper, and slipped back in - even if they have tat in them!

Oh, the bliss of seeing someone else (not) fight with the tape, as another box is slid away up the ramp and onto the van... the delight as a box of glassware (wrapped using a third of the Amazon Rainforest in paper) floats gracefully onto the truck... Then I remember those times that my wife and I weren't getting a relocation deal - sweaty and dusty and sneezy and irritable and clumsy and at two o'clock in the morning, surrounded by things that don't fit with anything else whatsoever, four remaining sheets of wrapping paper, one box and thirty-two dinner plates with a myriad of glasses spilling slowly over the blood-stained carpet, still damp with tears and sweat.

Packers! Use them, or pay a solicitor twice that for the divorce settlement/defence against manslaughter charges. Your choice.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 19th Apr 17, 2:10 PM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 2,110 Thanks
    cjdavies
    I probably wouldn't bother, if I know I'm moving then just pack some items daily ready - I live alone maybe that's why.
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 19th Apr 17, 3:17 PM
    • 14,410 Posts
    • 124,145 Thanks
    zagubov
    Pay for them to pack everything. Do it.
    Best money you'll ever spend. Moving's stressful enough, you don't need the hassle of packing by yourself. They don't unpack for you though.
    Last edited by zagubov; 19-04-2017 at 11:33 PM.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • 9ja4life
    • By 9ja4life 19th Apr 17, 3:37 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    9ja4life
    DO IT!
    I've paid for a full packing service twice! 2nd one unpacked for us for free as I had new born twins and a 19 month old. They unpacked and built the major stuff but that was enough. I made them dinner and gave a hefty tip!
    We're about to move again - and I've arranged for a full packing service
    • rosyw
    • By rosyw 19th Apr 17, 3:49 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    rosyw
    Nothing to add except to confirm what every one else is saying - DO IT!

I'd never consider doing anything else now, my last move so much much less stressful being able to leave the packing to someone else Day one most things were pack & loaded, a chair and TV left in in living room for that evening, bedroom also left for the following day. Day two remaining items packed and loaded, off they went to my new place while I waited for my lift (I don't drive), completed just as I left the old place, everything moved into new place, beds put back together and me with feet up & a cuppa by 4pm when they finished! What could be easier??
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 19th Apr 17, 4:14 PM
    • 2,488 Posts
    • 3,241 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Do it as a favour to your buyers. There have been several threads on here recently about people not being able to move into new houses because the sellers hadn't finished packing and moving out. If you use the packing service you should be able to guarantee that you will be out of the house and the house will be vacant at completion time. This is extremely important as you are not allowed to have items in a house after completion because the house no longer belongs to you so if the packing service can get you into the position where you don't have any of your belongings in a house that doesn't belong to you without the new owners permission it is worth every penny of £400.
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 19th Apr 17, 5:09 PM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 2,523 Thanks
    Tygermoth
    i appreciate the MSE answer would be save the £400 - GET PLANNING AND PACK.

but no, my OH paid to have the packing service as a gift to us on our recent move and it was wonderful (the prev move was a living nightmare and we both just did want to go through that again - MSE self move/ hire van - on a budget)

i can also recommend having a professional clean done on the house you are moving into. Our removals had a recommended partner and it came at a reduced price - so while they were packing up and moving the old house they had a team who were scrubbing and cleaning the new one - oven gleaming and bathrooms sparkling- best move ever!
    Last edited by Tygermoth; 19-04-2017 at 5:11 PM.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 19th Apr 17, 5:46 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 11,371 Thanks
    hazyjo
    i appreciate the MSE answer would be save the £400 - GET PLANNING AND PACK.
    Originally posted by Tygermoth
    Great idea for them to offer a cleaning service! Would def do that!

I'll argue that the MSE option would be to pay the £400 as your sanity, marriage, time, etc is worth way more than that - and I know which I'd rather save lol (Dafty summed it up well! They are like lightning and make it look so easy. Make sure you keep your keys, pet carriers and everything separate though! My pet carrier got packed and luckily it was the first or second I opened to look for it (out of around 100! They say they never pack keys, but they definitely packed my car keys once too lol - luckily I found the spare!).

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,454Posts Today

8,345Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Emloy93: @MartinSLewis I did this! It 100% works ????????

• RT @Photo_Pete: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, I'll renew mine before my 24th in September!

• Tell any 23 yr olds... you're allowed to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard the day before your 24th birthday then it's valid until ur almost 27 RT

• Follow Martin