Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 19th Apr 17, 11:00 AM
    • 1,082Posts
    • 1,633Thanks
    pearl123
    RE: Collective switches - how to long does it take to transfer.
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:00 AM
    RE: Collective switches - how to long does it take to transfer. 19th Apr 17 at 11:00 AM
    In previous Collective switches how long did it take for your transfer to go through?
    I'm curious as it will help me make a decision the next time a Collective switch comes up.
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 19th Apr 17, 11:15 AM
    • 3,723 Posts
    • 2,031 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:15 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:15 AM
    In previous Collective switches how long did it take for your transfer to go through?
    I'm curious as it will help me make a decision the next time a Collective switch comes up.
    Originally posted by pearl123
    It depends on the supplier. Under their Licence Conditions, suppliers have 35 days to transfer a supply from the date that they receive an application to switch. That said, many suppliers are now signed up to the voluntary 17 day switching code which includes the 14 day 'cooling off' period.

As for the next collective switch coming along, you may have a long wait. There really hasn't been a best value for money collective switch since October last year. Suppliers are increasingly reluctant to pay third-party referral fees given that most of the new (smaller) suppliers have elected not to do so in favour of lower prices.
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 19th Apr 17, 9:38 PM
    • 1,082 Posts
    • 1,633 Thanks
    pearl123
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:38 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:38 PM
    It depends on the supplier. Under their Licence Conditions, suppliers have 35 days to transfer a supply from the date that they receive an application to switch. That said, many suppliers are now signed up to the voluntary 17 day switching code which includes the 14 day 'cooling off' period.

As for the next collective switch coming along, you may have a long wait. There really hasn't been a best value for money collective switch since October last year. Suppliers are increasingly reluctant to pay third-party referral fees given that most of the new (smaller) suppliers have elected not to do so in favour of lower prices.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Thank you for replying. It sounds like there will be a collective switch next week.
    • FullForce
    • By FullForce 20th Apr 17, 10:10 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    FullForce
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:10 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 10:10 AM
    If it's a switch of supplier, it is as Hengus described i.e. a minimum of 17 days (actually 18 days as I think the CEC take a further day to forward the applications on ) or possibly 4-5 weeks depending on the supplier and whether they operate the faster switching service.

If it's a transfer of tariff (i.e. with the same supplier), again it probably depends on the supplier, but some will do it the day they get the application (again allowing for the time the CEC take to pass the application on) whilst others sometimes wait until your existing contract ends (assuming you are within the switching window i.e within 49 days of contract end)
    • K.S.
    • By K.S. 20th Apr 17, 12:40 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    K.S.
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:40 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 12:40 PM
    what if you were already in the process of switching when this collective switch began, could you go through this switch still?
    • manutd99
    • By manutd99 20th Apr 17, 4:26 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    manutd99
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:26 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:26 PM
    what if you were already in the process of switching when this collective switch began, could you go through this switch still?
    Originally posted by K.S.
    You have a 14 day cooling period so if you haven't switched yet you should be able to cancel. Phone your new supplier and advise you want to cancel and ask when when you need to notify them by so you have an idea whether to wait for collective switch or not
    • manutd99
    • By manutd99 20th Apr 17, 4:29 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    manutd99
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:29 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 4:29 PM
    Do anyone know what date the collective switch will be announced? My tariff ends end of April and I was just about to switch and just read collective switch soon so thinking of waiting but don't want to wait too long. Is there a confirmed date?
    • phillw
    • By phillw 20th Apr 17, 6:14 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    phillw
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:14 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:14 PM
    Do anyone know what date the collective switch will be announced? My tariff ends end of April and I was just about to switch and just read collective switch soon so thinking of waiting but don't want to wait too long. Is there a confirmed date?
    Originally posted by manutd99
    I've not seen one, but I assume they'll want to get people signed up before the 5th June because of https://bigcommunityswitch.ichoosr.com/Product/index.rails?actionId=584

As long as you switch before your tariff ends then you should be fine, there are some reasonably cheap no exit fee tariffs on cheapenergyclub if your current supplier is going to be really expensive. The collective switches may not be cheaper than what is available now anyway.
    • manutd99
    • By manutd99 21st Apr 17, 1:34 AM
    • 371 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    manutd99
    • 21st Apr 17, 1:34 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 1:34 AM
    I've not seen one, but I assume they'll want to get people signed up before the 5th June because of https://bigcommunityswitch.ichoosr.com/Product/index.rails?actionId=584

As long as you switch before your tariff ends then you should be fine, there are some reasonably cheap no exit fee tariffs on cheapenergyclub if your current supplier is going to be really expensive. The collective switches may not be cheaper than what is available now anyway.
    Originally posted by phillw
    On cheapenergyclub is says switch coming soon. They want people signed up by Sunday 23rd April. If they want people signed up by Sunday do you think it might be next week? as don't mind waiting a week but not any longer
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 21st Apr 17, 6:07 AM
    • 865 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    On cheapenergyclub is says switch coming soon. They want people signed up by Sunday 23rd April. If they want people signed up by Sunday do you think it might be next week? as don't mind waiting a week but not any longer
    Originally posted by manutd99
    MSE state:

Urgent. MSE Big Energy Switch expected next week. We hope to have a super cheap deal, but rules mean we can only offer it to 'members'.
    Next week is probably next week?

However, they were unable to offer a competitive switch on the last two or or three occasions, although they haven't indicated that will happen, this time. Maybe they already have reasonable offers in the pipeline if they are saying they hope to have a super cheap deal? I wouldn't expect it to be better than my current tariff, though. Nothing is certain?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/latesttip/?_ga=1.122090504.2056208193.1490300692#energy

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub/collectivesignup
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
    • phillw
    • By phillw 21st Apr 17, 12:18 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    phillw
    Maybe they already have reasonable offers in the pipeline if they are saying they hope to have a super cheap deal?
    Originally posted by fredandwilma
    Hope springs eternal.

The press release would probably not have the same effect if they said "we really have no idea what is going on, but it's our job to do this so please sign up". They may have offers based on the number of new and existing sign ups, they may have no offers at all.
    Last edited by phillw; 21-04-2017 at 12:21 PM.
    • manutd99
    • By manutd99 21st Apr 17, 4:35 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    manutd99
    MSE state:

Next week is probably next week?

However, they were unable to offer a competitive switch on the last two or or three occasions, although they haven't indicated that will happen, this time. Maybe they already have reasonable offers in the pipeline if they are saying they hope to have a super cheap deal? I wouldn't expect it to be better than my current tariff, though. Nothing is certain?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/latesttip/?_ga=1.122090504.2056208193.1490300692#energy

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub/collectivesignup
    Originally posted by fredandwilma
    I haven't seen the wording next week. I've only seen the first paragraph hence asked the question. Thanks for confirming its next week.

Yeah guess it may not be the cheapest but its only a week so I'l decide when its live. Does mean though I will be on standard tariff for a few weeks as iv left it too late to switch.
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 21st Apr 17, 4:53 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    Hope springs eternal.

The press release would probably not have the same effect if they said "we really have no idea what is going on, but it's our job to do this so please sign up". They may have offers based on the number of new and existing sign ups, they may have no offers at all.
    Originally posted by phillw

From what i remember, they indicated well in advance, they couldn't offer a competitive switch / tariff, last time, so the indications are more positive, this time?

I would imagine they must have something in the pipeline, as they have stated "We hope to have a super cheap deal"?

Who knows?

Not long until we find out.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
    • manutd99
    • By manutd99 21st Apr 17, 5:11 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    manutd99
    Date confirmed. When you put your email address to check if eligible or not you get the following message. Yesterday it was a different message

Great news - you’re ready to save possibly £100s a year. You're either a Cheap Energy Club member already or you get the MSE weekly email - so you'll be able to get the collective once it launches on Monday 24 April.

Monday it is then
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,249Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin