Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jellybeans123
    • By Jellybeans123 19th Apr 17, 10:33 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jellybeans123
    Can anyone help please! :)
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:33 AM
    Can anyone help please! :) 19th Apr 17 at 10:33 AM
    Hi everybody, I'm new to this site so I'm not sure of people will be able to help me with this kind of thing.

I was due an upgrade on my phone so went to Carphone Warehouse (haven't had any issues with them previously.) However this time they said their printer wasn't working so would email me a copy. This was yesterday morning and I still haven't received anything despite ringing twice, both times being told it would be sent within the hour. The store I went to don't even seem to pick up their phone, so tried to sort it through their main phone system.

What are my rights now? I know jts only been a day but I've already had to ring up twice to no avail and they don't have any explanation about it all. A big part of me wants to cancel with them altogether because it doesn't set the contract off to a good start. But will I be allowed to do this?

I'd be grateful for any advice or help. Thank you.
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 19th Apr 17, 12:38 PM
    • 9,177 Posts
    • 3,724 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:38 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:38 PM
    Are you out of contract ???
    Post is very unclear on everything .
    Due an upgrade did you upgrade ??
    Printer not working so are you just waiting for paper work ??
    If you actually upgraded then as i understand its not a new contract re rights to cancel .
    • Jellybeans123
    • By Jellybeans123 19th Apr 17, 1:32 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jellybeans123
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:32 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:32 PM
    Sorry.
    I went in as I was due an upgrade and got a 2 year contract. This is all through Carphone warehouse. This one is with ee instead of Vodafone so whether it technically counts as an upgrade or a new contract...I'm not sure.
    • Jellybeans123
    • By Jellybeans123 19th Apr 17, 1:33 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jellybeans123
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:33 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:33 PM
    Yes just waiting for contract to come through but feel that having to ask them so many times (rung up again twice since I posted this) is a little excessive.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 19th Apr 17, 2:20 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:20 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:20 PM
    I do wish folks would wise up to the "I'm due an upgrade" business. You are not due anything, the networks love to hook customers into another 2 year contract and offer a phone on a finance package that appears to be cheap.

In virtually all cases, you are far better off using your existing phone, or even buying one outright and shopping around for a SIM only deal.

It's a regular topic on Martin's TV shows too.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 19th Apr 17, 3:02 PM
    • 5,117 Posts
    • 4,819 Thanks
    Farway
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:02 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:02 PM
    Yes just waiting for contract to come through but feel that having to ask them so many times (rung up again twice since I posted this) is a little excessive.
    Originally posted by Jellybeans123
    Personally I would say ringing up over 4 times after only day is excessive, but then that's me, just be patient for goodness sake
    • Jellybeans123
    • By Jellybeans123 19th Apr 17, 3:09 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jellybeans123
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:09 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:09 PM
    Wow people are friendly here aren't they. I haven't asked anyone opinion on my decision to upgrade my phone. I have asked about my rights as a consumer. People are so quick to judge other people and make them feel bad. I thought this was meant to be an advice forum, so I asked for advice.

I don't feel I'm being impatient. At the end of the day I have agreed to something, parted with my hard earned money and been promised things (falsely) numerous times. If they had said that it may take a few days then fair enough but that is not the message I have been given.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 19th Apr 17, 3:41 PM
    • 7,258 Posts
    • 2,224 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:41 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:41 PM
    Sounds like a new contract, so unless you gave notice at the end of the minimum term the old one won't end. There are no cancellation rights for a new contract in-store, unless the company includes it in their own particular t&c. You might have an "out" if they failed to produce the written t&c if that was part of the contract, otherwise it's sour milk (although you need to ensure the old contract IS cancelled).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,917Posts Today

5,940Users online

Martin's Twitter