Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 19th Apr 17, 10:26 AM
    • 2,686Posts
    • 1,075Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    Buy farm shares rather than grow your own
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:26 AM
    Buy farm shares rather than grow your own 19th Apr 17 at 10:26 AM
    I was considering growing my own crops to reduce costs, as it'd be more tax efficient than overtime

But i came to thinking, big farms are surely more efficient than i could ever be, I'd be better off buying shares of existing farms and agriculture companies, rather than buying my own plants, equipment, etc

Although growing your own would be a good hobby, getting outside, seeing the fruit of your labours, literally
Page 1
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 19th Apr 17, 11:43 AM
    • 3,714 Posts
    • 3,101 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:43 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:43 AM
    Surely if you bought shares in a farm ( even if farms are publicly listed, I'm not sure they are ? ), you wouldn't be receiving fruit and veg ? Just like shares in any other company, you'd receive a dividend if the business does well, and risk losing your investment if the business fails. If you want home-grown produce then you need to grow it yourself - or befriend someone else who grows their own and set up some sort of bartering arrangement
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 19th Apr 17, 12:15 PM
    • 2,686 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:15 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:15 PM
    I was thinking of using returns to buy produce as an equivalent to growing your own, but i suppose to would still have chemicals

And growing your own would generally have the same risk
    Big enough agricultural companies are listed...
    • Farway
    • By Farway 19th Apr 17, 2:14 PM
    • 5,266 Posts
    • 5,681 Thanks
    Farway
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:14 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:14 PM
    You could spread the risk by buying shares in a big food manufaturer, like Unilever, and smile ironically as you buy organic products using the dividends

DYOR of course and other similar companies are available

Disclosure - I own some Unilver shares, annualised return to date is nearly 20%, past is no guide to future etc
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 19th Apr 17, 2:51 PM
    • 27,804 Posts
    • 70,618 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:51 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 2:51 PM
    Surely if you bought shares in a farm ( even if farms are publicly listed, I'm not sure they are ? ), you wouldn't be receiving fruit and veg ?
    Originally posted by Ebe Scrooge
    You could - https://communitysupportedagriculture.org.uk/what-is-csa/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,189Posts Today

5,195Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin