Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 2bFrank
    • By 2bFrank 19th Apr 17, 10:10 AM
    • 185Posts
    • 93Thanks
    2bFrank
    Chopped tree down, neighbour saying we damaged property
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:10 AM
    Chopped tree down, neighbour saying we damaged property 19th Apr 17 at 10:10 AM
    This weekend we chopped down a tree in my mates back garden, and his neighbour has gone mental at us saying he’s wreaking her house because now she will have foundation issues. The tree wasn’t that big to be fair, about 6 footish, and it was in a bad way. She threatened to sue my mate for any damage to her property. to be fair it is in a very bad condition anyways.

Unfortunately we both lost our cool and took it out on her husband, so talking this over won’t be an option any more (cannot say any more incase police get involved). Any ideas on how to approach this, have we actually done anything wrong. The tree was on my mates land.
    Jumping into the housing market head first.
Page 2
    • 2bFrank
    • By 2bFrank 19th Apr 17, 2:14 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    2bFrank
    Myself and my mate are not chavs. We are quite educated, with well paying jobs. However the neighbours are, with feral kids and !!!!ed up most nights (there house backs on to my mates) unfortunately we did go down to there level though when she started to hit us, guess there is a little chav in us.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th Apr 17, 2:19 PM
    • 59,233 Posts
    • 345,795 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... my mate picked up .... I dragged .....out of his house ....my mate threaten him with the ....
    Originally posted by 2bFrank
    This is utterly vile, you're a Neighbourhood Terrorist in my eyes.

You had the choice of not touching the .... and just saying "whatever" and going indoors to let them stew in their own p155 and garden ....

You need to learn to walk away.
    • 2bFrank
    • By 2bFrank 19th Apr 17, 2:31 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    2bFrank
    This is utterly vile, you're a Neighbourhood Terrorist in my eyes.

You had the choice of not touching the .... and just saying "whatever" and going indoors to let them stew in their own p155 and garden ....

You need to learn to walk away.
    I think we have gone off topic here, we know what we did was wrong, we tried to walk away but we just did something stupid. However, in saying that, all his other neighbours have thanked him, as the family have been a pain for a while, and he hasn't heard a peep from them since.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th Apr 17, 2:43 PM
    • 22,637 Posts
    • 87,526 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I think we have gone off topic here....
    Indeed.

It was a small tree, unlikely to have an effect on anyone's foundations, and now it's gone.

The End.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 19th Apr 17, 3:35 PM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 19,722 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Myself and my mate are not chavs. We are quite educated.....(there house backs on to my mates) unfortunately we did go down to there level though when she started to hit us, guess there is a little chav in us.
    But not educated enough to use the correct word.
    • mysterymurdoch
    • By mysterymurdoch 19th Apr 17, 8:35 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    mysterymurdoch
    There's no way a 6ft plant would have an impact on anyone's foundations. I've been out hoiking up 20-30ft conifers and tend to take 1-2hrs per stump. A 6ft thing would take 2 swings of a mattock.

Roots - not even worth having a discussion about roots and so on. The only issue is a stupid neighbour looking for a fight. Definitely just ignore them.
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 19th Apr 17, 8:53 PM
    • 6,457 Posts
    • 5,005 Thanks
    prosaver
    Ah, the Voice Of Reason...

Just for that, I'm off to cut down and burn all my ash trees - and I have a few of them too!

Bet it's bleeding Brussels again, telling us wot we can or cant do an the like. If only there was a way we could show our displeasure at all them expats... experts, rather, some way to demonstrate our... Oh... right!
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    It use to bother me when people reply to me like that, now im not 4rsed.

I knew someone who trimmed a neighbours tree

as it was blocking the light and it was a Ash tree,

which in our area has a tree protection order
    Check out your local council to see it applies.

https://www.dorsetforyou.gov.uk/article/408686/Tree-preservation-orders
    20k fine if you get caught.... they might google earth you
    Last edited by prosaver; 19-04-2017 at 9:07 PM.
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 19th Apr 17, 8:59 PM
    • 2,574 Posts
    • 3,531 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    She is too late! If she wanted to complain about foundation issues she needed to do it while the tree was still there. You can't complain about ex trees.
    • quotememiserable
    • By quotememiserable 19th Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 380 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    quotememiserable
    as it was blocking the light and it was a Ash tree,
    which in our area has a tree protection order
    Originally posted by prosaver
    So you're saying that because one ash tree had a TPO on it, that therefore they all do?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th Apr 17, 9:22 PM
    • 22,637 Posts
    • 87,526 Thanks
    Davesnave
    All the TPOs in the world wont protect ash trees once they get the fungus Hymenoscyphus fraxineus, which causes a disease called chalara die-back.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/apr/30/ash-dieback-trees-2018

Some areas look like they will lose most of theirs fairly soon.

The vast majority of ash trees have no protection in law.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 20th Apr 17, 1:15 AM
    • 2,994 Posts
    • 3,674 Thanks
    bouicca21
    Round my way we have self seeded ash saplings in abundance. I don't think twice about pulling the pesky things out.
    • pimento
    • By pimento 20th Apr 17, 8:52 AM
    • 5,158 Posts
    • 6,707 Thanks
    pimento
    I think we have gone off topic here, we know what we did was wrong, we tried to walk away but we just did something stupid. However, in saying that, all his other neighbours have thanked him, as the family have been a pain for a while, and he hasn't heard a peep from them since.
    When I read some of the problem neighbour stories here I do wonder whether going nuclear is the only way to take away their upper hand. Some people just have to have their fortune told.
    I bet your friend doesn't hear another peep.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • Broken Biscuits
    • By Broken Biscuits 20th Apr 17, 9:50 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Broken Biscuits
    She is too late! If she wanted to complain about foundation issues she needed to do it while the tree was still there. You can't complain about ex trees.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    This is not correct. There could be claims after the tree has been removed.

To bring a property claim you have 3 main approaches. Trespass, nuisance or damage. Trespass would most likely be if the roots or branches are on their land. Unlikely to be an issue now.

Damage is obvious. The act of removing the tree could have damaged the fence etc.

Nuisance. The act of removing the tree could cause ongoing issues to cause neighbouring land to "slide". This is more likely if the neighbour's land is higher up and/or a hole has been left where the tree once was.

Considering the size of the tree it's unlikely you will receive any of these civil claims against you.

On the criminal side, the police are often not interested in neighbouring disputes. This is more likely to change when blows are exchanged, people are dragged from their houses and threatened with axes though. I'd be more concerned about the real threat of criminal prosecution here personally.

If there is any way of speaking to the neighbour peacefully and resolving amicably I would strongly suggest this is done. You may find your career under threat if you are pulled through the courts for assault.
    • Harryp_24
    • By Harryp_24 20th Apr 17, 10:29 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Harryp_24
    The neighbour is quite cocky and loud mouth, plus she was drunk, she started trying to hit us as she knew we wouldn't hit her back, so my mate picked up the axe and I dragged her husband out of his house and whilst my mate threaten him with the axe. She soon shut up, felt bad for the husband/ boyfriend, he keeps himself to himself and is just a drunk/ stoner, he soon sobered up though lol.
    !!!!ing lol glad i dont live here, sounds like a great neighborhood.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 20th Apr 17, 11:59 AM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 2,488 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    "My neighbour complained about my bin blocking his gate. I killed him and all his family and burned down his house. I just wanted to check if I was going to get in trouble for blocking his gate with my bin."
    • mattk_180
    • By mattk_180 20th Apr 17, 12:11 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    mattk_180
    Going off topic? Is a little hard not to when you explain that you and your friend dragged an innocent bloke out of his house and threatened him with an axe just because his girlfriend was a bit mouthy! And saying it so casual as well, not forgetting the "lol".

If you hear from the policy I'm pretty sure it won't be about the tree! And if you don't, consider yourself lucky.
    • pimento
    • By pimento 20th Apr 17, 2:00 PM
    • 5,158 Posts
    • 6,707 Thanks
    pimento
    "Axe, Officer? What axe?..."
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • mysterymurdoch
    • By mysterymurdoch 20th Apr 17, 6:54 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    mysterymurdoch
    I got the impression the 'dragged' and 'threatened' bit was metaphorical, not literal.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 20th Apr 17, 7:35 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 2,488 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    I got the impression the 'dragged' and 'threatened' bit was metaphorical, not literal.
    Originally posted by mysterymurdoch
    Would you like to share the particular nuances that gave you that impression?
    • rosyw
    • By rosyw 20th Apr 17, 7:36 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    rosyw
    On the criminal side, the police are often not interested in neighbouring disputes. This is more likely to change when blows are exchanged, people are dragged from their houses and threatened with axes though. I'd be more concerned about the real threat of criminal prosecution here personally.

If there is any way of speaking to the neighbour peacefully and resolving amicably I would strongly suggest this is done. You may find your career under threat if you are pulled through the courts for assault.
    Originally posted by Broken Biscuits
    I think it depends on the circumstances under which the threats are made. Years ago we had a chap knock at the door to tell us that there'd been an "accident" on my horses field, and one of them "didn't look good" , apparently they'd been checking the gas pipeline under my field, without my consent, and the horses had spooked. On checking I found that my poor horse that "didn't look good" was actually laying there dead my husband,being towed by our Rottweiler, chased the chap down the drive yelling that he was going to kill him! We called the police, he called the police,local bobby arrived to see what was happening, I told him about my dead horse, he said there'd been a report of "attempted murder"!! He looked at me for a minute or so,tears streaming down my face, looked at my horse, and said "Nothing to report here, I'll sort it" and off he went Needless to say we heard no more about the attempted murder.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,875Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin