Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 2bFrank
    • By 2bFrank 19th Apr 17, 10:10 AM
    • 182Posts
    • 93Thanks
    2bFrank
    Chopped tree down, neighbour saying we damaged property
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:10 AM
    Chopped tree down, neighbour saying we damaged property 19th Apr 17 at 10:10 AM
    This weekend we chopped down a tree in my mates back garden, and his neighbour has gone mental at us saying he’s wreaking her house because now she will have foundation issues. The tree wasn’t that big to be fair, about 6 footish, and it was in a bad way. She threatened to sue my mate for any damage to her property. to be fair it is in a very bad condition anyways.

Unfortunately we both lost our cool and took it out on her husband, so talking this over won’t be an option any more (cannot say any more incase police get involved). Any ideas on how to approach this, have we actually done anything wrong. The tree was on my mates land.
    Jumping into the housing market head first.
Page 1
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 19th Apr 17, 10:18 AM
    • 1,095 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:18 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:18 AM
    A 6-foot tree is really more of a bush, and not going to have any real impact on any foundations.

I wouldn't worry about it.
    Last edited by Grenage; 19-04-2017 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Typo.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 19th Apr 17, 10:22 AM
    • 27,623 Posts
    • 70,177 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:22 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:22 AM
    She threatened to sue my mate for any damage to her property.

Any ideas on how to approach this
    Originally posted by 2bFrank
    Totally ignore any other complaints from her.

She would have to prove that any damage to her property was caused by removing the tree which would involve paying large amounts of money to get reports.

If the tree was only 6' high, it could hardly be called a tree and it couldn't cause any damage at all.
    • 2bFrank
    • By 2bFrank 19th Apr 17, 10:33 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    2bFrank
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:33 AM
    Brill thanks for your replies, thats what we thought. I dont think he will be hearing any more from the neighbours but incase we do just wanted a second viewpoint.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 19th Apr 17, 10:33 AM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 5,499 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Agree with the others that it is more of a bush/shrub than a tree at that size. How close to her house was it? Unless it was really close it won't effect her house, but if you want to be sure and know the type of tree it was, then google will tell you how big the root is likely to be.
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 43.5 lb
    Last updated: 27th June 2017
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 19th Apr 17, 10:34 AM
    • 14,746 Posts
    • 20,931 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:34 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:34 AM
    This weekend we chopped down a tree in my mates back garden, and his neighbour has gone mental at us saying he’s wreaking her house because now she will have foundation issues. The tree wasn’t that big to be fair, about 6 footish, and it was in a bad way. She threatened to sue my mate for any damage to her property. to be fair it is in a very bad condition anyways. ...
    The neighbour has yet to suffer any damage, and would have to show that the felling of the tree was indeed the cause of any damage. It's more usual for trees to damage property when they are not cut down. Cutting down a 6ft tree in a "very bad condition" has probably reduced the potential for damage.

...Unfortunately we both lost our cool and took it out on her husband, so talking this over won’t be an option any more (cannot say any more in case police get involved).
    Unless there is a Tree Preservation Order in place, the police won't be interested. It's a civil matter.

... Any ideas on how to approach this, have we actually done anything wrong. The tree was on my mates land.
    Do nothing. Say nothing.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 19th Apr 17, 10:35 AM
    • 821 Posts
    • 1,729 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:35 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:35 AM
    This weekend we chopped down a tree in my mates back garden, and his neighbour has gone mental at us saying he’s wreaking her house because now she will have foundation issues. The tree wasn’t that big to be fair, about 6 footish, and it was in a bad way. She threatened to sue my mate for any damage to her property. to be fair it is in a very bad condition anyways.

Unfortunately we both lost our cool and took it out on her husband, so talking this over won’t be an option any more (cannot say any more incase police get involved). Any ideas on how to approach this, have we actually done anything wrong. The tree was on my mates land.
    In what way did you take it out on her husband?
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 19th Apr 17, 10:39 AM
    • 6,457 Posts
    • 5,002 Thanks
    prosaver
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:39 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:39 AM
    if its an Ash tree ..your not allowed..sorry..
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th Apr 17, 10:50 AM
    • 22,386 Posts
    • 87,028 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:50 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:50 AM
    Unfortunately we both lost our cool and took it out on her husband, so talking this over won’t be an option any more (cannot say any more incase police get involved). Any ideas on how to approach this, have we actually done anything wrong.
    If the police might get involved, this sounds more serious than molesting a shrub in one's own back garden.

And if they might not, then perhaps you are being somewhat over-dramatic. After all, the police would hardly look here for clues!
    Working subliminally.
    • vw100
    • By vw100 19th Apr 17, 10:51 AM
    • 100 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    vw100
    When a tree is chopped down, the roots in the ground start to shrink and die, causing soil movement. However for a 6ft tree it hardly going to have huge root structure. your neighbour is barking up the wrong tree
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th Apr 17, 10:53 AM
    • 22,386 Posts
    • 87,028 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Originally posted by prosaver
    Not allowed to do what, exactly?

I've just cut down a dozen or so ash trees, and what's more, I dare to admit it on MSE, despite the apparent risk of the tree police seeing my post.

Will that mean I'm up before the beak next week?
    Working subliminally.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 19th Apr 17, 12:04 PM
    • 4,642 Posts
    • 4,300 Thanks
    eddddy
    When a tree is chopped down, the roots in the ground start to shrink and die, causing soil movement. However for a 6ft tree it hardly going to have huge root structure. your neighbour is barking up the wrong tree
    Originally posted by vw100

Cutting down trees is more likely to cause 'heave' (in clay soil), which is swelling rather than shrinking.

As trees grow bigger, their roots suck more water out of the soil, which can cause the clay soil to shrink. If the soil shrinks under the foundations of a house, part of the house may drop downwards - that's 'subsidence'.

Conversely, if you cut down a tree, it is no longer sucking water out of the soil. So clay soil might swell up. If the soil swells under the foundations of a house, part of the house may be pushed upwards - that's 'heave'.

But as others say, a 6ft tree is unlikely to do that.
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 19th Apr 17, 1:01 PM
    • 3,531 Posts
    • 3,117 Thanks
    Hoploz
    OP do you really mean it was a single tree six feet high?

Surely that would be pulled up rather than chopped down??

Is there more to this?
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 19th Apr 17, 1:31 PM
    • 3,576 Posts
    • 7,145 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Originally posted by prosaver
    Ah, the Voice Of Reason...

Just for that, I'm off to cut down and burn all my ash trees - and I have a few of them too!

Bet it's bleeding Brussels again, telling us wot we can or cant do an the like. If only there was a way we could show our displeasure at all them expats... experts, rather, some way to demonstrate our... Oh... right!
    • Freecall
    • By Freecall 19th Apr 17, 1:34 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 929 Thanks
    Freecall
    about 6 footish
    This has to be a wind-up, we have weeds bigger than that in our garden.

• Penitent
    • By Penitent 19th Apr 17, 1:40 PM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 2,992 Thanks
    Penitent
    OP do you really mean it was a single tree six feet high?

Surely that would be pulled up rather than chopped down??

Is there more to this?
    Originally posted by Hoploz
    It's too big to pull up (I tried to pull up a 1.5 foot sapling once, it didn't go so well ).

At six foot, you'd either have to dig it up or cut it down and poison it to stop it resprouting. I wouldn't have thought it was a two-man job, though.
    • 2bFrank
    • By 2bFrank 19th Apr 17, 1:53 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    2bFrank
    How close to her house was it? Unless it was really close it won't effect her house, but if you want to be sure and know the type of tree it was, then google will tell you how big the root is likely to be.
    not sure big the roots are, the roots are still there, we gave up after the neighbour came out. I could just about wrap my fingers around the trunk. It was 6footish in height. the branches did spread quite far though. The tree was quite near her house, but there is a fence next to it, the fence looks fine.

In what way did you take it out on her husband?
    The neighbour is quite cocky and loud mouth, plus she was drunk, she started trying to hit us as she knew we wouldn't hit her back, so my mate picked up the axe and I dragged her husband out of his house and whilst my mate threaten him with the axe. She soon shut up, felt bad for the husband/ boyfriend, he keeps himself to himself and is just a drunk/ stoner, he soon sobered up though lol.
    • 2bFrank
    • By 2bFrank 19th Apr 17, 2:01 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    2bFrank
    At six foot, you'd either have to dig it up or cut it down and poison it to stop it resprouting. I wouldn't have thought it was a two-man job, though.
    Yeah we tried pulling it down at first, but even with two big lads, it wasn't moving. It wasn't really a two man job to cut it, but we spent the easter weekend sorting out his garden, it was a mess and his little one is starting to walk so needs a safe garden to play.
    • Kalamazoo
    • By Kalamazoo 19th Apr 17, 2:05 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    Kalamazoo
    When chavs collide!
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 19th Apr 17, 2:10 PM
    • 1,095 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    Grenage
    The neighbour is quite cocky and loud mouth, plus she was drunk, she started trying to hit us as she knew we wouldn't hit her back, so my mate picked up the axe and I dragged her husband out of his house and whilst my mate threaten him with the axe. She soon shut up, felt bad for the husband/ boyfriend, he keeps himself to himself and is just a drunk/ stoner, he soon sobered up though lol.
    Wind-up it is, then.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

127Posts Today

2,156Users online

Martin's Twitter