Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RobinVanPersie
    • By RobinVanPersie 19th Apr 17, 10:02 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    RobinVanPersie
    Debt Collector Letter - Advice Needed (Hope this is the right section...)
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:02 AM
    Debt Collector Letter - Advice Needed (Hope this is the right section...) 19th Apr 17 at 10:02 AM
    Hi Guys,

I've just come back from holiday and received a letter from Lowells on behalf of Vodafone demanding payment in excess of £900 for a contract which I had over the period of 6/7 years.

Basically, to cut a long story short; during a silly part of last 2016 I left my job after many years and began looking for a new career. I became very disillusioned and ended up getting myself arrested (nothing serious; no charges came from it). However, the police kept my phone as evidence.

Whilst I was bailed, they informed me they needed to keep my phone for further enquiries (I was a bit annoyed, as I couldn't even have my SIM, but knew nothing would come of it).

Eventually the situation ended up as NFA. They told me I'd receive a call on when I'd get my phone back.

So...I waited...and waited. Gave it a week, tried to contact the station. They said they'd get back to me via e-mail or a member of family's number which I supplied. Another week passed, nothing. In this time, I'd spoken to Vodafone and let them know the situation, as the phone bill hadn't been paid (no work - had just secured a new job, so arranged a payment plan once I'd received my handset/SIM).

Another week passed, and I tried to contact the officer directly after finding out where he was based. Each time I was told he was off shift, and left messages. I e-mailed, I even e-mailed the MET a complaint directly and have heard nothing back.

Where do I stand for this? As Vodafone are demanding payment for the remainder of the contract, which by the amount I'd imagine is 14 months? Do I actually have a leg to stand on here?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

(PS - Any way I can change my damn username?!)

Scott
Page 1
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 19th Apr 17, 10:20 AM
    • 757 Posts
    • 687 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:20 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:20 AM
    Short Answer: Nope

Longer Answer: You still need to pay the contract, and get the Met Police to either give you the phone back, or compensate you for it if they've just failed to give your phone back.

After all, if YOU lost the phone, you'd still need to pay for it (And if it was insured against loss, claim), it doesn't matter to Vodafone why you're not paying, only that you aren't.
    • RobinVanPersie
    • By RobinVanPersie 19th Apr 17, 10:27 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RobinVanPersie
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:27 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:27 AM
    Short Answer: Nope

Longer Answer: You still need to pay the contract, and get the Met Police to either give you the phone back, or compensate you for it if they've just failed to give your phone back.

After all, if YOU lost the phone, you'd still need to pay for it (And if it was insured against loss, claim), it doesn't matter to Vodafone why you're not paying, only that you aren't.
    Originally posted by StopIt
    Thanks for this...

The only issue is this was in April 2016, and I cannot get any response from anyone involved? I'm assuming they may have disposed of it?

S
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 19th Apr 17, 10:52 AM
    • 757 Posts
    • 687 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:52 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:52 AM
    If you have in writing that you were meant to get the phone back and you haven't, I'd take formal action.

If they've disposed of it instead of trying to give it back to you, then you need to be compensated for it.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 19th Apr 17, 11:19 AM
    • 11,516 Posts
    • 11,109 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:19 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:19 AM
    Hi,

Its by the by whether you had access to the phone or not, the fact the police have your phone is a separate issue.

You were signed up to a contract, so you would be liable for the line rental costs whatever happened, you will need to agree something with Lowell about that.

As for the phone itself, you have made reasonable attempts yourself to get it back, with no luck, so i would maybe try the IPCC :

https://www.ipcc.gov.uk/complaints
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • RobinVanPersie
    • By RobinVanPersie 19th Apr 17, 12:07 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RobinVanPersie
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:07 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:07 PM
    Hi,

Its by the by whether you had access to the phone or not, the fact the police have your phone is a separate issue.

You were signed up to a contract, so you would be liable for the line rental costs whatever happened, you will need to agree something with Lowell about that.

As for the phone itself, you have made reasonable attempts yourself to get it back, with no luck, so i would maybe try the IPCC :
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Thank you so much for this; I'll have no issue paying Lowell; just hoping the MET take some kind of responsibility for this
    • Arleen
    • By Arleen 19th Apr 17, 12:58 PM
    • 924 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    Arleen
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:58 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:58 PM
    They will not take responsibility for your bill, sorry - it's on you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,184Posts Today

8,022Users online

Martin's Twitter