Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mexicano
    • By mexicano 19th Apr 17, 9:28 AM
    • 43Posts
    • 9Thanks
    mexicano
    Reclaiming VAT on front door
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:28 AM
    Reclaiming VAT on front door 19th Apr 17 at 9:28 AM
    I live in a house that has been converted into two flats. I live on the ground floor and the owner of the first floor flat has rented it out via an agency.
    With his agreement I have replaced the front door as the old one was warping. He agreed to pay half the costs of the new door, he now wants the invoice for his records and "tax purposes"
    Does it mean that he can claim back the VAT on the door? If so, shouldn't I be getting half of the refund?
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Page 2
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 19th Apr 17, 6:24 PM
    • 35,465 Posts
    • 45,650 Thanks
    McKneff
    It's a shared door.
    Originally posted by Annie1960
    Its a shared door in a house that is owned by the landlord who lives upstars. Tennants are not liable to replace doors...
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • phill99
    • By phill99 19th Apr 17, 6:25 PM
    • 7,907 Posts
    • 7,148 Thanks
    phill99
    Talk about over analysing....
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 19th Apr 17, 6:27 PM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 1,443 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    TBH if i was paying half for something i would want a copy of the original invoices to ensure that i wasn't getting ripped off by the other party.
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    Landlord is entitled to see it but strictly speaking, if the invoice is made out to OP, they should either raise an invoice for half the amount for the landlord or more simply, provide the landlord with a receipt for the cost.

As I said in my first post, VAT is probably a read herring here, landlord probably just wants to offset the cost against income tax. If this was about VAT then Private Church has pretty much summed it up - even if landlord was VAT registered and could legitimately reclaim any VAT, they would require a valid VAT invoice in their name, which OP cannot provide as they are not VAT registered, it would have been better for landlord to purchase door from supplier and get a VAT invoice in their name and have OP reimburse *him* for half the amount.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 19th Apr 17, 7:04 PM
    • 23,553 Posts
    • 65,676 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    John 11:35
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • MX5huggy
    • By MX5huggy 19th Apr 17, 8:09 PM
    • 4,055 Posts
    • 2,646 Thanks
    MX5huggy
    It may be better for you to give the landlord half the door then Inheritance Tax won't be an issue if you live 7 or more years.
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 19th Apr 17, 8:21 PM
    • 3,058 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    The man who did the work sent you an invoice . He may or may not be VAT registered and that makes no difference because you are not vat registered or a business customer so you just pay the total amount he invoiced you for.

... The VAT doesn't come into the equation at all because you aren't registered for vat.
    Originally posted by Private Church
    But if the tradesman's not VAT-registered, why is he adding it to the bill?
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 19th Apr 17, 8:37 PM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 2,053 Thanks
    unforeseen
    No mention of the builder adding VAT onto the bill.

Simple attitude from the LL.
    You don't provide me proof of what you spent, I don't pay. Don't forget that if you take your door with you when you leave then you need to fit the old door back in its place. End of story
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 19th Apr 17, 8:52 PM
    • 766 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    Apodemus
    ...if you take your door with you when you leave then you need....
    ...to have the original receipt to prove to HMRC the value of goods that you are taking overseas with you?
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 19th Apr 17, 9:07 PM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 2,053 Thanks
    unforeseen
    ...to have the original receipt to prove to HMRC the value of goods that you are taking overseas with you?
    Originally posted by Apodemus
    ??

Where is there mention of the OP going overseas?
    • tired dad
    • By tired dad 19th Apr 17, 9:25 PM
    • 501 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    tired dad
    Bizzare thread.

The fact that the flat is rented is irrelevant. The fact that the owner is a landlord is irrelevant.

You paid for a door. You have an invoice. You give him a copy of the invoice (which confirms the total cost you have paid).

Thus he knows the exact amount to pay you (half the paid invoice).

Yes, for a landlord this would count as wear and tear expense. This has no relevance to you as you are not renting out your property.

We share certain communal costs with several adjacent houses and if anyone pays for a job, the invoice gets shown to everyone so we can pay our share
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 20th Apr 17, 11:54 AM
    • 3,058 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    No mention of the builder adding VAT onto the bill.
    It's in the OP!
    ... he now wants the invoice for his records and "tax purposes"
    Does it mean that he can claim back the VAT on the door?
    Originally posted by mexicano
    If there was no VAT on the bill, do you think he'd be starting a thread on reclaiming it??
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 20th Apr 17, 8:22 PM
    • 718 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    docmatt
    Personally I'd cut the new door in half, give him his half and say you've paid for your half.

Let him do whatever he wants with the invoice and his half of the door. When it's all sorted you can tape it together and paint the tape the colour of the door.

One thing, after you've cut the door, you keep the bit that's on the hinges cause otherwise it's really hard to lock it.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 20th Apr 17, 8:47 PM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 2,053 Thanks
    unforeseen
    It's in the OP!
    If there was no VAT on the bill, do you think he'd be starting a thread on reclaiming it??
    Originally posted by Kernel Sanders
    Sounds more like the OP doesn't actually know much at all about VAT. You offset the tax not reclaim it . As i said if they are not willing to provide proof of expense by showing a paid invoice then the other person in their lease holder role should tell him to poke off.

Remember that the other person has 3 hats freeholder, leaseholder and LL. OP doesn't know who have role the other person was using when agreed to door change. I am guessing leaseholder since he is willing to split 50/50
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,499Posts Today

4,832Users online

Martin's Twitter