Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Harryp_24
    • By Harryp_24 19th Apr 17, 9:21 AM
    • 162Posts
    • 201Thanks
    Harryp_24
    Bought a house, alarm came with it.
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:21 AM
    Bought a house, alarm came with it. 19th Apr 17 at 9:21 AM
    So i bought a house off an old lady who was basically conned into buying a Rancom burglar alarm system. She has paid it off for 5 years. However when i spoke to them to swap the number of who they ring from hers to mine they declared they needed £200 admin fees to do it....

I cant/wont pay that much money to literally change her name to mine her number to mine and her keyholder to mine in a database.

I was thinking of ringer her up and asking her to change her keyholder to me, so if something happens they will ring her first (she lives 3 doors away) and then me if they cant get through. is this legal?

the alarm is owned by rancom previously known as Direct response who had a BBC Watchdog thingy on them from preying on old and vulnerable people to rip off.
    Last edited by Harryp_24; 19-04-2017 at 9:25 AM.
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 19th Apr 17, 9:28 AM
    • 9,842 Posts
    • 6,850 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:28 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:28 AM
    Can't you get another company to take over the the system, assuming you want to continue having a monitored system?
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 19th Apr 17, 10:15 AM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 2,582 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:15 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:15 AM
    So i bought a house off an old lady who was basically conned into buying a Rancom burglar alarm system. She has paid it off for 5 years. However when i spoke to them to swap the number of who they ring from hers to mine they declared they needed £200 admin fees to do it....

I cant/wont pay that much money to literally change her name to mine her number to mine and her keyholder to mine in a database.

I was thinking of ringer her up and asking her to change her keyholder to me, so if something happens they will ring her first (she lives 3 doors away) and then me if they cant get through. is this legal?

the alarm is owned by rancom previously known as Direct response who had a BBC Watchdog thingy on them from preying on old and vulnerable people to rip off.
    Originally posted by Harryp_24

I can't see why she would agree to this; it's additional hassle for her with no possible benefit.

She's already been conned by the alarm company; best to leave her alone.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 19th Apr 17, 12:35 PM
    • 2,989 Posts
    • 3,017 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:35 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:35 PM
    The contract was with her not you. So why do you have to continue paying?

Tell them there is no contract with you so you'll not be paying them anything at all. If they still technically own the system then invite them to come and remove it, but they'll be liable for any damage caused during the removal process.

They'll likely just leave it. So then find another company to take it over?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • NotRichAtAll
    • By NotRichAtAll 19th Apr 17, 5:36 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    NotRichAtAll
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:36 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:36 PM
    Tell them there is no contract with you so you'll not be paying them anything at all. If they still technically own the system then invite them to come and remove it, but they'll be liable for any damage caused during the removal process.
    This is the route i would take, also tell them there will be a £200 admin fee to pay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

318Posts Today

3,054Users online

Martin's Twitter