Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chrisbjornward
    • By Chrisbjornward 19th Apr 17, 9:13 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Chrisbjornward
    Sky/virgin dilemma!
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:13 AM
    Sky/virgin dilemma! 19th Apr 17 at 9:13 AM
    Ok, so I currently have virgin 40MB BB for £40/month, I am out of the 12 month contract.

I have sky tv: sky sports, HD, multiroom, basically th evilly package without films which I'm paying £50/a month for - well out of 12 month contract and the offer I haggled 12 months ago is just coming to an end Ina few days.

I am moving into a new house in the next month or two and ideally want to combine BB & TV together to get the best deal, but I don't mind keeping them separate.

Sky's similar BB is about £40 the same as virgin, I haven't rang them yet to try and get a better combining all services but I also know that to get a good to offer (50 or 75% I'm going to have to cancel and wait for the offers to come through).

What is my best option? Move both services to my new property and then cancel them to try and haggle the best offer?

Or do I try and get sky to offer me a deal right there and then to combine services and give me a top offer?

Or do I just stick with th two providers and try and individually haggle with them to reduce each package?

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Page 1
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 20th Apr 17, 6:54 PM
    • 8,217 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:54 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 6:54 PM
    According to the Sky website, broadband/phone deals for those who have tv are not as good as for new customers. (There is a note suggesting that existing customers sign in and then you see the higher prices).

I'm hoping that this is open to negotiation as I want to return to Sky broadband when my PlusNet term is up, but will still be in minimum term for Sky tv (will cancel when the 12 months are up, as they won't repeat the brilliant offer I have ).
    • itstheone
    • By itstheone 20th Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    itstheone
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    Not sure i'd move both services to the new property unless you're happy with it as it'll probably trigger new 12 month contracts.

I'd probably give sky a call and say you're moving and you'd like to combine all 3 services and see what they offer.
    Last edited by itstheone; 20-04-2017 at 7:45 PM.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 20th Apr 17, 8:08 PM
    • 19,261 Posts
    • 9,371 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:08 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:08 PM
    Move both services to my new property and then cancel them to try and haggle the best offer?
    Originally posted by Chrisbjornward
    You won't be able to cancel immediately as home moves trigger a new minimum term for all providers. Haggling won't then be an option.
    • ratechaser
    • By ratechaser 20th Apr 17, 8:16 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    ratechaser
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:16 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 8:16 PM
    You're paying an insanely high amount for Virgin. I am getting 150mb BB and weekend calls from them for £21/month.

You should check out the haggling threads - personally I think sky for TV and Virgin for broadband is a good combo, and provided you are on a good deal with both of them, there's minimal (if any) benefit to consolidating.

Obviously you tell them that consolidating will be cheaper. It's all part of the haggling game!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

54Posts Today

2,162Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin