Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MoneySaver123
    • By MoneySaver123 19th Apr 17, 9:05 AM
    • 37Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MoneySaver123
    CCJ effect after 3 years
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:05 AM
    CCJ effect after 3 years 19th Apr 17 at 9:05 AM
    I've noticed that a few lenders show on their eligibility criteria for lending that you "shouldn't have received any CCJs in the last 3 years".

With that in mind, has anyone who has had/has a CCJ(s) noticed a positive effect in getting credit after the three year mark? I realise that all lenders will be different but sometimes there is a trend.
Page 1
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 19th Apr 17, 10:05 AM
    • 1,392 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:05 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:05 AM
    You won't see a change in your credit standing as there is no way to monitor or measure it. (I am not sure there is a magic 3-year line drawn in the sand) However, generally speaking the older it is the less impact it should have but the only way to really know is to apply for a loan. Each lender will assess you on their own criteria, there is no universal policy.
    • MoneySaver123
    • By MoneySaver123 19th Apr 17, 10:10 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    MoneySaver123
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:10 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:10 AM
    I understand what you're saying about not being able to measure it (accurately).

I was wondering if there was perhaps some anecdotal evidence from forum members' own experiences of having a CCJ and the potential diminishing adverse effect from around the 3 year point.
    • enook77
    • By enook77 19th Apr 17, 10:26 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    enook77
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:26 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:26 PM
    My CCJ was issued in Feb 2014 so just over 3 years old now.

It was for a very small amount £145 from a private parking company (Don't ask).
    This was satisfied in Aug 2014 when I knew it had been issued.

This is the only negative factor on my credit files....quite a major one though.

Because I had 3 credit cards previous to the CCJ. I have managed with these (obviously the 0% periods are long gone) I alternate and pay off in full.

I have also read a lot with regards to getting past the 3 year mark but I think it's just a myth.

I have just started to look at the eligibility checkers (soft searches) for both CCs and loans and the results are surprisingly positive. Some 95% chance of acceptance with CCs and loans down to a few showing 0% with some lenders.

Now I have not applied for any credit since I knew the CCJ hit my credit file.

But I finally plucked up the courage to apply for a AA credit card and got rejected....That was last month.....so I will leave it for now.

E.
    Last edited by enook77; 19-04-2017 at 10:29 PM.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 19th Apr 17, 11:07 PM
    • 56,181 Posts
    • 49,563 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:07 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:07 PM

I was wondering if there was perhaps some anecdotal evidence from forum members' own experiences of having a CCJ and the potential diminishing adverse effect from around the 3 year point.
    Originally posted by MoneySaver123
    The success or failure depends on the finer details of each individual application. Far too simplistic to pick on a single aspect.
    “Opportunities come infrequently. When it rains gold, put out the bucket, not the thimble”
    ― Warren Buffett
    • MoneySaver123
    • By MoneySaver123 20th Apr 17, 9:35 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    MoneySaver123
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:35 AM
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:35 AM
    enook77 - such a shame you didn't get the AA card. Think it's Bank of Ireland who underwrite The AA and Post Office cards and pretty sure they say no CCJs in past 3 years which is probably why you tried them. Did you appeal? I'd say you have a strong case as your CCJ is so low, settled and for a non consumer credit product.
    • enook77
    • By enook77 20th Apr 17, 3:18 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    enook77
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:18 PM
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:18 PM
    No appeal from me.

Maybe it was just too close to my 3 year mark and the CRAs didn't update my info in time for when I applied. There is usually some lag.

I applied just to see if I would get accepted. I think I had a high chance I think it was 95% chance of acceptance with the eligibility checker. So I tried.

E.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

534Posts Today

3,512Users online

Martin's Twitter